Healing Songs for Rex

UkeCan1

Reaction score
Our dear friend Rex (Jazzbanjorex) has been going through a healing challenge.

I'll include some of the details below, in his own words, which he posted on a Facebook page he created to keep interested supporters informed. (If you'd like to be one of them and are not yet a member of that group, PM any one of us you're connected to on FB ... or here if you're not connected to anyone on FB.)

A few of us were "talking" on the FB group, and we thought it would be a nice thing to have a thread for Rex here, where we can post songs, well wishes, virtual hugs, and other positive thoughts for Rex's healing. Original songs are especially encouraged, but anything you care to share is welcome here.

(I checked with Rex first, of course, to be sure he is good with us posting this thread here.)

Here's a playlist for your video well wishes.

Here's the scoop:
Rex has head and neck cancer. In his words:

"It started April 2015 when I noticed a lymph node on the left side of my neck was swollen. Over the next few months we tried two rounds of antibiotics to no avail.

Ultrasound and CT scan showed a foreign mass. Biopsy showed Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Scope down my throat showed a tumor on my left tonsil.

It is beatable and the fix is chemo and radiation."

The treatments are set to conclude Dec 22, followed by healing the body from the effects of the chemo and radiation.

(You can learn more about all that on the FB group. Please let's not give Rex another thing to do here. That is the place to go if you want to learn more, and follow his day-to-day progress. This is the Seasons-specific place for sending him our love and healing, especially musically!)

Last edited:
Here is my all-purpose healing-through-the-power-of-uke song. The second verse speaks to the power of music and ukulele to heal the body:

I really believe this to be true. I hope it lifts your spirits and sends a bit of healing magic through your system, Rex!

Rex took a uke to his first chemo treatment and apparently this was disturbing the other patients.

So now he has a solid body electric that is almost silent w/o the amp.

Here is a snapshot of him at a recent treatment. The uke is a Titan, tenor scale.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?u...26278889&rm=150c9d5a8074e486&zw&sz=w1576-h655

Ralph, we can't see your pic ... it seems to be embedded in an email.

Was it you who bought the solid body uke for Rex? That was a wonderful thing you did. That has to make those chemo treatments more bearable for him.

Rex,
You are one of the most brave open people I know. I have been grateful for your willingness to share your cancer journey with us through your FB page. I have always been impressed with you for your talent, your willingness to openly express your beliefs in God and your love of the service you have been able to give the little ones in your church. Your light shines bright and when I grow up I hope to be half as good a person as you. You have always been so kind and encouraging. It is Sunday and I am going to share an old song today with you in hopes that you may be lifted up by its message as you take one step at a time. You have shared your journey with dignity and humor and I love that. You are one amazingly inspirational guy Rex and we all truly love you!

Thank you.

Thank you Wendy, Pa, Ralph, Linda, Extra Cheese and everyone. I feel your thoughts and prayers. I deeply appreciate them. There are some rough days and everyone's kindness does help me through.

When I actually found out it was cancer things moved fast toward my start of treatment. I chose this song to do for the woodstock season for I knew where I'd get a lot of my strength. I recorded and posted this song the first day of my chemo. Chemo didn't hit me hard for a couple of days after that.
Anyway, if you look hard you can see the lump on the left side of my neck. Especially when I look right. It's noticable in a few other videos around that time Aug 17.

Thank you my friends. The FaceBook group where I am journaling my adventure is called "Rex's Wrestle With Head and Neck Cancer" and you have to request to enter and only I can accept you. If I know your not a troll. LOL

God Bless.

Dear Rex,
I have always enjoyed your music and humour...
I hope you make a full and complete recovery.
Here's a little something i did for Tootler's week- songs you sing when stranded on an island.
You are not stranded on an island, Rex. You know that.
( i had a bad cold when i recorded this. I recorded several songs that day.
It seems that when it's hardest to sing, it is also the time you need to sing the most.
I am sure you understand what I mean. Uke on and sing on!)

Last edited:
We're here for you, Rex. I'll try to come up with something that will help (rather than impede) the healing process ... Keep strong, sir.

paoriginal, well 12 bars you know, ain't that original
I know you have a faith so this one is written for you Rex.

Hope it still counts coming from a heathen.:)

you cannot beat a good hymn

this is one of my all time favourite hymns

for one of my all time favourite hims!

"when a knight won his spurs"

i prefer to sing this to a full church organ accompaniment

but unfortunately i cannot fit a church organ in my flat

which is just as well

because i can't play one!

we must just muddle along as best we can on uke

i understand there is an updated version of this for the elderly, which substitutes "and may truth be set free from the castle of fear, with the sword of my wisdom made sharp through the years" for "and let me set free with the sword of my youth, from the castle of darkness the power of the truth". however the idea that i have any wisdom is as ridiculous as the idea i have any youth left, so i'm sticking with the original version!

it's november, so, naturally, i've been obsessing about wanting to do this song about spring!

:bowdown: geoff worked out the chords for me - thank you so much geoff - and because it's about the loveliness of spring, and rather jolly, i thought i'd bring it here for rex

"come see where golden hearted spring"

When Benjamin Franklin was sent to France as ambassador during the American Revolution he was quite a social sensation. He was invited to soirees at all the fashionable Salons. He started a fashion trend in Beaver hats and was quite the Ladies Man. There was one problem. His French was terrible and his understanding was almost as bad. Poor Richard was never at a loss for words however and whenever he didn't understand or was misunderstood he started saying "Ca Ira, Ca Ira": "It will be fine, It will be fine". Like so many of Franklin's witticisms this caught on with the French people. It became a meme. The Cataclysm of the French Revolution led a song writer a Street singer name of Ladre to compose a song. Ca ira Rex Ca Ira!

Last edited:
Top Bottom