Heartbeat/Dragon (Jake Shimabukuro)

ukejon

Reaction score
Two cool Jake tune that make use of tapping, hammer-ons, and digital delay. Hope you enjoy:

Thanks so much for the kind comments. One of the things that I absolutely love about the Underground is an openness to more progressive modes of ukulele playing. Dominator and I started playing around with arranging Dragon in late 2005/early 2006 when the Dragon album first came out. Both of these tunes come out of a very fertile time in Jake's composing career. We were both amazed by the tapping technique on ukulele and had long conversations over the phone with ukes in hand trying to figure out what on earth Jake was doing. As a true blue rocker, guitarist Dom was able to figure out a lot of the parts pretty quickly. So much credit goes to him.

In any event, I've enjoyed noodling around with these two tunes over the years and decided the time was right to make a recording.

Amazing playing!

Jake introduced many of us to the idea of delay with the uke. Sometimes I use that effect very subtly along with the same type of long, medium depth reverb that he uses a lot when playing live to add a bit of roundness and aural complexity to the sound. Thanks for all of the wonderful comments.

Top Bottom