Hello all

Draleg

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new ukulele player (thank's to COVID like a lot...). I begin in right hand in April 2020 and left hand in September 2020.
I will explain why this switch if some are interested...

I always must learn instrument after my bad experience in music academy when I was young(9yr).
I try alone piano, violon, guitar, kalimba, ukulele.

The easy resume is that ukulele is the only one I have real feeling to play with it (finger style/chord melody , not singing at all...) and also it's the only one that work with my "routine life/activities" .

I'm from Belgium (Wallonie/Hainaut), any others from here?

For interested people:
I have an Anuenue AKK3(tenor), Flight Phantom(tenor with LowG), Flight LUS5(Super Soprano), a Motu (my "holiday" flat soprano uke) and my first uke is a Baton Rouge V2-SW(my "at work" uke), for a one year practice it's enough right ? :LOL:

Have a nice day all.

Welcome to UU, Draleg!
I'm a Belgian expat, a northern neigbour (Flandre-Orientale) currently living in the UK. Belgium has a bit of catching up to do when it comes to ukulele appreciation. Glad to have you on board, and we'll show our fellow countrymen / women how much fun this humble instrument inspires!

Welcome Draleg! No belgium connection but would like hear the why and how of your switch!

Welcome to UU, Draleg!
I'm a Belgian expat, a northern neigbour (Flandre-Orientale) currently living in the UK. Belgium has a bit of catching up to do when it comes to ukulele appreciation. Glad to have you on board, and we'll show our fellow countrymen / women how much fun this humble instrument inspires!

Thank you and so true 🙏

Welcome Draleg! No belgium connection but would like hear the why and how of your switch!
Thank's, well... When I begin ukulele I read a lot about left and right player.
I'm a left handed person but I try young piano (there is no left/right), I try violin (left hand is really really rare), guitar it's possible and "common" but for my 4month of playing I never feel the need to change.

Well, I start as right hand player for facilities (more uke, less expensive, possibility to try uke from others, etc.).
I thought that at the end, my chords hand will be more speed and that's all.

But I had an accident with my left thumb... And I must stop playing for months to heal it.
So at this moment I tought that I could restring one of my uke in left to continue to play.

When I did this... It was a revelation !
No more rythmic/speed/stability problems... all those things that I fight again since the beginning was not present in left mode.
At the opposite, my chords switch (fretboard hand) was (are) really slow... but that was not like my others problems...

The rythmic/speed/stability problems was I don't know how to explain it... it's like it was deep in my motions... after 6 monts (when I had my accident) it was always the same, no progression about it...
Here with my right hand (fretboard) after 1 year, I see a real progression, more speed, more precise,etc.

So that's the story of my switch :ROFLMAO: (and sorry for my english o_O)

Thank you and so true 🙏

Thank's, well... When I begin ukulele I read a lot about left and right player.
I'm a left handed person but I try young piano (there is no left/right), I try violin (left hand is really really rare), guitar it's possible and "common" but for my 4month of playing I never feel the need to change.

Well, I start as right hand player for facilities (more uke, less expensive, possibility to try uke from others, etc.).
I thought that at the end, my chords hand will be more speed and that's all.

But I had an accident with my left thumb... And I must stop playing for months to heal it.
So at this moment I tought that I could restring one of my uke in left to continue to play.

When I did this... It was a revelation !
No more rythmic/speed/stability problems... all those things that I fight again since the beginning was not present in left mode.
At the opposite, my chords switch (fretboard hand) was (are) really slow... but that was not like my others problems...

The rythmic/speed/stability problems was I don't know how to explain it... it's like it was deep in my motions... after 6 monts (when I had my accident) it was always the same, no progression about it...
Here with my right hand (fretboard) after 1 year, I see a real progression, more speed, more precise,etc.

So that's the story of my switch :ROFLMAO: (and sorry for my english o_O)
Great story and so glad you are on track and enjoying!

Welcome to UU Draleg and a big hello from Chicago!

Welcome to the forum! I was only in your country one time, but I loved it. It's a fond memory. Here, we have an expression about not letting your left hand know what your right hand is doing. But, switching back and forth like you have, I don't see how that would be possible! :giggle:

Welcome to the UU Forum Draleg. Congratulations on finding out that you adapt to the ukulele better when you play left-handed.

I'm ambidextrous, but the uke felt more natural to me when I played right-handed. (Left hand for fretting; right hand for strumming/fingerpicking.)

Will your existing ukuleles work restrung for left hand playing?

I hope your thumb is healed. Enjoy your ukes.

Will your existing ukuleles work restrung for left hand playing?
Yes I was lucky all my uke are symetric so just a reverse its not visually visible.
For sustain and strings... Generaly in HighG strings no problem even with compensated saddle... (Flight Phantom/AnueNue AKK3).
With a LowG and some wound bigger than fluorocarbon, the nut and perhaps the saddle must be adjust.

On a guitar with metal strings the tension is harder so reverse could be defrom the neck, but on a ukulele no problem (info from luthier...)

I hope your thumb is healed. Enjoy your ukes.
Well it's ok when I play but sometimes even with only strum or finger picking it's again a little bit painful

Top Bottom