Hello from, Missouri USA!

Zak

Reaction score
Hey there everyone my names Zak, and I'm a multi-instrumentlist/music composition major from Missouri and I'm buying my first serious ukulele with some leftover money from Christmas, and I'm really pumped to start shredding! This forum has so far been really informative, and I'm excited to get to meet some really cool and creative people.

Aloha? haha, I'm not sure how that works...

Zak

Aloha Zak,
Welcome to UU and its forum, THE place for all things ukulele.
Aloha works in mysterious ways, it can express love, friendship,help, and just being part of an Ohana(family).
You'll definitely find Aloha here! So enjoy your journey and the forum...................BO................

Welcome to the forum Zak. Let us know what uke you get. Good luck.

Aloha and welcome to the UU!!!

Aloha Zak,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...If I were you, I buy and entry level as your first uke until you know that you're going to stick with it....I'd order from one of our dealer/members here....we have a few...
or check out our marketplace too....for instance some M dealer/members.......Mainland, Mim's, MGM, and Moore Bettah....and others too.. Good Luck and Happy Strummings!! MM Stan

Hi Zak!! Finally, a friendly compadre from my area. Glad to have you aboard. You will really enjoy this site. I live at Camdenton, about an hour away. Far as I can tell, have no uke members or even players that I can find in my area, but think there might be a uke club or meeting group in Springfield, your area. If you know of any, let me know, and might try to do a drive down to meet with them. With your background, you will find the Uke a delightful experience and will no doubt get hooked, as all of us have. Many of us come from musical backgrounds of some kind, but have become hooked on the small but mighty uke. You will find tons of help and friendship here. For your intro uke, get as good as you can afford at the moment. It will pay in the long run. Good luck!! Lozark

Welcome Zak. I joined 2 days ago and I really liked what I've been reading here.

I might just mention Zak, that Morgan Music in Lebanon carries a decent line of the Kala ukes, I have looked them over, and they have a very good selection at decent prices. In case you can't find a source in Springfield, you might drive up to Lebanon and take a look. At least you can try out quite a few and get a feel for them. I play Kalas and love them. They are in their new store on north 5 now. Good luck! Lozark

Hey thanks guys!
I've been pretty busy with classes starting up this week... but I've pretty much been doing some very intensive ukulele buying research in between studying. Thanks for all of your guys encouraging words! And lozarkman, it sure isn't as common for people to play the ukulele in our area, is it? Although, I have noticed some stores in the Springfield area are carrying a few models. I took your advice mm stan and decided to check out musicguymic. He seems to come very highly recommended from these forums, and all over the interweb. I'm probably buying an entry model from him. lozarkman I noticed you play the Kala models, both the high and low variety, how is the action on those models, and what tonal difference does the low G make?

Hi Zak, Are you going to Drury University? I have a friend that teaches there.

Actually I am currently going to Missouri State,

Although I have a lot of friends that go to Drury. It's a really good school. Top notch. What does your friend teach?

Yes I enjoy my Kalas, with solid spruce top, which I like, as it gives, for me, a sharper, clearer sound. The fretting is fairly low, which I like, and very easy to fret. They came already set up very well and actually needed no adjustments, as a couple of others did. I keep them tuned to both high and low G on both my Baris and tenors, as sometimes I like the lower G sound and few extra notes available for picking. I actually favor playing my Baris a bit more than my tenors, but that is just a personal preference, and you will find most players on UU prefer the sopranos and tenors, and most High G. In time you will figure out what appeals to you most. After maybe buying 4-5-6 more ukes:) :) Good Luck!! and yes, you can't go wrong with MGM, two of mine came from him. Would suggest you get a clip on tuner and case when you purchase. Lozark

Welcome! I'm in the 'general' area as you, eastern Nebraska. :) I'm fairly new to the UU and ukulele playing myself, only doing it 7 months now. I totally agree, this site is so informative. I've already learned so much from it. Once you get to shreddin', post some vids so we can all be amazed and inspired. ;)

Top Bottom