Help Date/identify Martin Concert

Looks post 1962 as the stamp says "Made in USA". That's about all I can tell you.

thanks, good to know. Anyone know if it has a model designation? Any links or sources I should look into would be helpful. Thanks!

That would be a Style 1 concert. Post '62, fingerboard may need to be replaced (hard to tell from the pics but it's definitely got divots), seem to be some cracks...

Probably worth $700 to $1000 depending on the condition.

Scooter

That would be a Style 1 concert. Post '62, fingerboard may need to be replaced (hard to tell from the pics but it's definitely got divots), seem to be some cracks...

Probably worth $700 to $1000 depending on the condition.

Scooter

Yep. I would add that it probably can't be much later than '62. According to what I've researched, the Style 1 was discontinued in '65 (at least the Soprano version).

Thanks, good stuff, much appreciated!
So, probably 62-66 style one, eh. What is the distinguishing feature for a style one? The tortis top/back binding?
yes, it does have a couple cracks on the back but no buzzing, in fact they seem like they might have been glued years ago.
My final question: Strings? It sounds so dull and lifeless and I noticed the strings on it right now are pretty floppy. What is a popular brand/gauge concert set to make a 60's Martin come to life?

Style one has the basic tortoise shell binding. I may be mistaken, but I think Martin only made concerts in style one.

As far as strings, I would try Martin Flurocarbons on it. I have those on most of my vintage ukuleles and I like them a lot.

MMStan can guide you on this as he knows what sounds great on vintage Martin concerts. He would help if you ask!

Style one has the basic tortoise shell binding. I may be mistaken, but I think Martin only made concerts in style one.

As far as strings, I would try Martin Flurocarbons on it. I have those on most of my vintage ukuleles and I like them a lot.

MMStan can guide you on this as he knows what sounds great on vintage Martin concerts. He would help if you ask!

I think Ryan is right, now that I think about it... I don't recall ever seeing a Martin concert that wasn't a Style 1. Well... I've only even seen PHOTOS of those.
And I believe he's right about Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings. Two of my three vintage Martin sopranos have them, and they sound great. I know that Stan REALLY likes those strings on Martins. I don't think you can go wrong with them. Plus, they're fairly easy to find. Worth strings are fairly similar, I think, but are a little harder for locate (I order them from Elderly Instruments). I have Worth Brown Mediums on my Style 3 Martin, and Clear Mediums on my Kiwaya KTS-7 (sort of a Style 3 Martin replica).

Top Bottom