Help Identifying a ULO: Uke-Like Object

PoiDog

Reaction score
Hi all you folks in UU land -

Here's a puzzler. A mate of mine just handed this thing to me, and I'm completely baffled as to what it might be.

It's the size of a concert uke, but only has 12 frets to the body and six strings. Here are some photos.

2011-11-28_14-43-38_755.jpg 2011-11-28_14-44-49_962.jpg 2011-11-28_14-45-03_332.jpg 2011-11-28_14-45-11_604.jpg

It's obviously a lam.

At first I thought it was a Cavaquinho or a Braguinha, but both of those have four strings (I think). Based on the nut, I don't think this is a six-string version of these with two paired sets of strings, but rather something almost like a mini-guitalele. Also, the three strings it currently has on it are steel.

WTF?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Mahalo

A guy I play with took off 2 of the tuners, strung it with nylons and made it into a pretty cool Uke bass!

I just want to know how it levitates! I looked at those pics FOREVER and can't figure it out

I just want to know how it levitates! I looked at those pics FOREVER and can't figure it out

Oh, did I neglect to mention it's imbued with magical powers? Rats, I knew I forgot something about it!

it is just like my red uke!

pukeuke.jpg

my bassist found it in a dumpster with only 4 tuners on it and metal strings . I recut the nut for 4 made a bridge , put uke strings on it using 4 holes of the tailpiece. i also leveld the highr frets I think. I love it , it the loudest 'uke' ive played too.

Ive doen most of my videos and recordings with it and won my Kala Pocket uke with it. it is also going to be the star of a series of comic videos I am plannign, I can't realy explain lol just have to wait and see.
here is a video I did talking about it. yes it definately is magickal.

Don't nessesarily disregard anything as worthless. Or anyone. Like a little ferret that someone else left to die, that might ultimately save your life, or ukuleles out of the trash that might save your musical career.
Infact its our disposable throw-away attitude of the modern world that is destroying it. (see - ocean plastic)

I guess it holds true that one persons trash is anothers treasure.
So if you don't want it ship it to me please, its got all the tuners I'll turn it into a 6 string uke :p or fix it up and give it to someone else.

Top Bottom