Help please

Voran

Reaction score
I just had a raging argument with a family member and now voice is gone. I really do not want to cancel Sunday's concert. Helllllp please

Wont comment on the family matters, but gargle with warm salt water. (I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV)

Update: I think my voice will be ok - did a ton of neck stretches and got a heat pad and it's pretty much back. A lot of the time voice loss is actually muscle tension.

Whenever I perform, I always have a mug full of warm Throat Coat tea in a holder on my mic stand. It helps a lot.
You might want to get a voice coach, and learn to care for your voice as you would an expensive ukulele.

Voran, if I may, let me offer some advice about arguments. First, they are rarely winnable. So, if winning is your goal, better to just forget the whole argument thing. Find another way to "win." But, if your goal is getting your point across, or "being heard," then I suggest talking to the other person in advance, and setting some ground rules for your "discussion." One such arrangement that's worked for me is to get the other person to agree to a Three Complete Sentence Rule. Under that agreement, you each get to state three complete sentences, then stop to let the other take a turn. Such a limitation results in both of you organizing your thoughts, and avoids a lot of the emotional content usually found in arguments. Try it before getting into another similar situation. I bet it will work for you too.

Voran, if I may, let me offer some advice about arguments. First, they are rarely winnable. So, if winning is your goal, better to just forget the whole argument thing. Find another way to "win." But, if your goal is getting your point across, or "being heard," then I suggest talking to the other person in advance, and setting some ground rules for your "discussion." One such arrangement that's worked for me is to get the other person to agree to a Three Complete Sentence Rule. Under that agreement, you each get to state three complete sentences, then stop to let the other take a turn. Such a limitation results in both of you organizing your thoughts, and avoids a lot of the emotional content usually found in arguments. Try it before getting into another similar situation. I bet it will work for you too.
No offense but things have been handled just fine. I know you mean well but this was a raw emotional situation and we'd both have felt very patronized if either of us suggested this. We're getting on much better now because we've both got a lot of swallowed emotion out.

I just had a raging argument with a family member and now voice is gone. I really do not want to cancel Sunday's concert. Helllllp please
Playing the ukulele when hanging out with family reduces probability of arguments.. When meeting folks you think will lead to arguments just play the ukulele, brings the collective blood pressure in the room down.

Top Bottom