Help stringing ukulele with bridge pins

stevepetergal

Reaction score
I just received a new Islander tenor, and plan to replace the strings. What do I need to know ahead of time about dealing with the bridge pins. With guitar strings, there's a bead integrated into the end of each string to hold it in place under the bridge. No such thing with the Worth fluorocarbon ukulele strings.

Sometimes I still use a bead, or one knot that is looped through twice. Both work fine with pin bridges as they are still basically a slot.
Make sure you have pin puller, usually they are part of a winder/cutter tool.

I changed the strings on my Islander two weeks ago. If you are at all familiar with steel string changes you'll know what to do when you remove the first string. Use whatever knot you prefer but here's the setup.

Attachments

• string.jpg
    string.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 81
The problem with just using a knot tied in the string is that it is small and will chew up the bridge plate and work its way into the sound board. I would highly recommend using a bead to prevent this. Pin bridges are really nice when they are made correctly, most imports don't have clue about how this should be done. The bridge pin is there just to hold the string in place. There should be a small cut out for the string to slide into. The pin holds the string.

Top Bottom