Help with strings, please

UkeGirl22

Reaction score
I ended up with a Córdoba Protégé C1M 1/4 size (6-string) guitar (tuned E-E) which feels and plays a lot like a bass uke. I’m still a guitar newbie and use this for travel mostly. Any idea what might sound sweet for strings? I know it’s a personal preference, but I would sure appreciate any suggestions. I read one place that it came with Savarez strings and another place that came with Aquila but either way I’d like to change them out. I’d like it to have a richer tone. Thanks for any help!

I see your guitar is 18-7/8” scale length which is very short. Being a 1/4 size guitar that is appropriate of course. The suggestion above for Strings by Mail is a good one. You can ask them and they will give you excellent expert advice, I buy from them all the time.

Not to rain on your parade but that short of scale length nothing is going to sound great tuned E-E. I had a nylon string guitar with a 21” scale length and I still couldn’t get E-E to sound good. The tension on the strings are too low in E-E, but tuning up to G-G sounded much better. Good luck

Is this guitar steel string or nylon...

I had that one and agree with the others that E-E is not the best tuning.

I recommend either of these sets for G-G

The 1st is easier to work with - flatwounds can be hard to tie.

This set is also OK and might be available locally:

I had that one and agree with the others that E-E is not the best tuning.

I recommend either of these sets for G-G
I agree with Jim. I use the UG1 strings on a 20" scale guilele tuned G-g and it improved the tone, volume, and sustain.

Top Bottom