Hi from an 'Old Crinkly'

Tatcho

Hello to new found 'friends'..
I called myself an 'Old Crinkly' because I am in my middle 80's and looking forward to learning the ukulele before I get to the alzheimer’s stage...!!
I have always thought I might like to learn to play the uke but never got around to it in fact I don't even have one ...yet!!
So my next job is to post another message here somewhere for some advice on a concert uke around £50.
Thanks for having me and I am looking forward to being entertained by you..........masters of the UKE....!!
Forgot to say I'm from Norfolk UK.

Last edited:

Tatcho

Hello CactusWren and thanks for your post.
Now...my favourite songs. Back in the 50's I was a jazz fanatic and Gerry Mulligan was my favourite but one finds that as one gets older sounds change and I'm a little more mellow so lets say Moon River, I will always love you, Hey Jude, Unchained Melody just to name a few. I still like jazz but by big bands now and not ukulele sort of songs but I'm looking forward to learning.

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP

Teek

Welcome, and I hope you have a blast!

One suggestion I hope will be helpful; check into getting a uke that is nicely set up, or be sure that the one you choose is correct for you, meaning the string action is low enough to be very easy to press on the strings, but not so low as to buzz. You should never have to press too hard to get a clean note, it's good to keep your hands healthy. I have abused mine in all ways of work and other endeavor and it affects how long I can play.

UU+ is a good resource to look into, but the uke minutes and other free videos are super!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! So, you were a teenager during the war years, eh? Exciting times I should imagine. Were you musical back then?

Mivo

Welcome to UU, Tatcho! Great plan, and a great approach. We want to see what you buy when you buy it. :)

Tatcho

Thanks for both these sites PhilUSAFRet . I will be taking a greater look later on.

Tatcho

Right Mivo. I have a leaning towards a Korala UKC36 which is £49 at the Omega on line shop here in the UK. Cash is my main concern being a lowly state pensioner and I have been told on here not to entertain Amazon which had a Makala MKC for £49 but I'm in no hurry unless the 'grim reaper' takes me off sooner than I expect...............!! I'll keep in touch if he don't..!!

Tatcho

VegasGeorge.....Thanks for the message. Yes i was living in London during the war years and got evacuated when we had our house bombed around our ears in January 1941 but we survived and now I'm here going to play the Ukulele...!! And no there was not much time to learn music trying to keep away from Hitlers bombs.....!!

fretie

Welcome to UU, Tatcho! Glad you found the time to start your own ukulele journey!

Mivo

I have a leaning towards a Korala UKC36 which is £49 at the Omega on line shop here in the UK. Cash is my main concern being a lowly state pensioner and I have been told on here not to entertain Amazon which had a Makala MKC for £49

Amazon is mostly a gamble. You might get a perfectly playable instrument, or you might get something that is poorly set-up that won't be much fun. The main issue is that there is a good chance that the strings are too high ("strung like a long bow", as TBK recently put it -- still grinning every time I recall that phrase!), which makes it hard and painful to play. Inexpensive instruments are often subject to other problems as well, like poorly put together, crappy intonation, or buzzing sounds.

I think one of the forum members here is an owner of Omega (or the son of the owners), and he recently posted that all their ukuleles go through their workshop before they ship it. That would make it an excellent choice. Perhaps you could touch bases with him? He mentioned it in this thread. His comment is on the (currently) last page.

The Korala looks fine. It's laminate, but honestly, it'll just be fine for an entry instrument. One thing you should do (if you buy it a store like Omega where you can talk to a real person via the phone) is to ask them to replace the strings. From the looks of it, it comes with some generic no-name strings that have a good chance of being sub par. Having them put on Aquila Nylguts is a good idea, and they really don't cost much extra, but will substantially improve the sound of any inexpensive ukulele.

You'll also want a clip-on tuner. It's a little device that you stick on the head of the ukulele and that will tell you what note a string is tuned to. Super easy to use. New ukuleles/strings tend to be very volatile, so it takes a bit (and a lot of re-tuning) for things to settle. Clip-on tuners cost just around €7 here, so they are probably around 5 pounds or so. It doesn't need to be anything fancy.