Hi From Australia

ukecaitlin

Hi. Although I've been a member here for over six years, my profile says I'm a new member, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to say "Hi" and share what Uking is like in Tasmania, which is an island state south of the Australian mainland.

Tasmania has a population of 500,000 and has about 19 public uke groups, most of which are sing and strums. As te State has a largely dispersed population, there are little groups coming or going in lots of little towns, plus a largish group <120 In the State Capital, Hobart.

I've been uking for 9 years now and am still enraptured! I am managing my UAS, by resorting to buying a four string steel resonator, which sounds fabulous. Being guitar length it has fabulous sustain, but I am still trying to discern if it actually a uke or a guitar. Uke - four strings. Guitar- size. But my collection has otherwise stabalised at; A Kanalea Tenor, A Kamake Concert Deluxe, A KoAloha concert necked soprano (a performance workhorse), A DaSilve Concert, an Epiphone Les Paul, a Greg Bennett concert, and my fav, a Scott Wise Super Tenor. I think that's it.

Other than that, I've just started to lay gypsy jazz with a local guitatist, although he's a bit of a purist and is troubled by the little soprano I Pompe on.

I have been unable to get my posts to register and all my recent posts do not appear and reside in my "latest activity folder' with strikethroughs! So I hope this one makes it up onto the forum.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Hi (g'day) ukecailin. I'm sorry you are having problems posting. Hopefully they will be resolved soon.

Sounds as though you've been busy. I was going to say "devil of a time" but I'm sure you're tired of hearing jokes like that.

Welcome to your other guise.

Ms Bean

Welcome back, Ukecaitlin!
That's certainly a fab collection of instruments you list in your post. I'm sure they will continue to bring you lots of joy.

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
hi ukecaitlin! Wow that is interesting that there is some great interest in ukulele in Tasmania. Welcome to the forum!

robinboyd

Hi Caitlin. I'm also in Tassie (in Hobart). Feel free to drop me a line sometime.