Hi, I'm Izzy!

scrambled_eggs

eggcited for uke
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been reading the forums a bit but finally decided to post!

I've been playing a bit over a year now, and the first few months were slow but I've really been addicted recently! This is my first instrument really other than some piano lessons as a kid.

Right now I've got my trusting Makala Dolphin, as well my two recent upgrades of my Enya Nova U Pro Tenor strung low G and Martin OXK Concert.

I love playing lots of stuff, but I find grunge on the uke especially fun.

I recorded myself for the first time recently and am really proud of my progress!

Me - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwfIdkTvJWcavtFmL-OC-sw

Welcome to the Forum Izzy. Enjoy your ukes.

Welcome to UU, Izzy! Do you like the Enya?

Welcome to UU, Izzy! Do you like the Enya?

I do! Though I suspect I will enjoy it more when I change the low G and maybe the d'addario titaniums as well. The strings feel like thick spaghetti to me and I find them a bit harder to play than flourocarbons. They also seem to go flat or sharp with temperature changes you might experience from day to night. It's definitely the strings and not the instrument since the Low G is an aquila red and isn't changing the same as the other three.

Anyway, it sounds lovely for the price and I really enjoy bending on these frets, though at first I found the finish on them kind of strange, almost like a rough aluminum feel. It ended up growing on me though and it's shining up as I play the instrument more. The instrument body also marks up easily, but whatever, it's a beater. I'm going to Michigan in a few weeks to go to LivelyLands fest and will make pilgrimage to Elderly Instruments and this is going to be my travel uke (unless this person from craigslist gets back to me and I get a Fluke by the end of the day for $100! :D)

I do! Though I suspect I will enjoy it more when I change the low G and maybe the d'addario titaniums as well. The strings feel like thick spaghetti to me and I find them a bit harder to play than flourocarbons. They also seem to go flat or sharp with temperature changes you might experience from day to night. It's definitely the strings and not the instrument since the Low G is an aquila red and isn't changing the same as the other three.

Anyway, it sounds lovely for the price and I really enjoy bending on these frets, though at first I found the finish on them kind of strange, almost like a rough aluminum feel. It ended up growing on me though and it's shining up as I play the instrument more. The instrument body also marks up easily, but whatever, it's a beater. I'm going to Michigan in a few weeks to go to LivelyLands fest and will make pilgrimage to Elderly Instruments and this is going to be my travel uke (unless this person from craigslist gets back to me and I get a Fluke by the end of the day for $100! :D)

Welcome to UU, Izzy!

I'm looking forward to trying out the Nova U pro tenor, and Enya's advised me that they will be available from Amazon.co.uk in September.

My cheap baritone came with d'Addario Titanium strings (wound D and G, unwound B and E). After 5 weeks of very limited play the G string broke, and I replaced it with a Worth low G from a tenor set, and later Seaguar Red fishing line.

The remaining wound string behaves differently from the titaniums and from the fluorocarbon. The titaniums are very sensitive to any changes in temperature.

Welcome Izzy!

Thanks! :)

Welcome. Uke your first instrument? Came over from guitar?

Uke is my first instrument! It was a pandemic hobby that started slow, but has picked up tons of steam recently. I play several hours a day at this point, but I still kind of just play whatever I want vs. having a rigid practice schedule. It keeps my picking up the instrument, so that's cool with me!

Welcome to UU, Izzy!

I'm looking forward to trying out the Nova U pro tenor, and Enya's advised me that they will be available from Amazon.co.uk in September.

My cheap baritone came with d'Addario Titanium strings (wound D and G, unwound B and E). After 5 weeks of very limited play the G string broke, and I replaced it with a Worth low G from a tenor set, and later Seaguar Red fishing line.

The remaining wound string behaves differently from the titaniums and from the fluorocarbon. The titaniums are very sensitive to any changes in temperature.

Thanks for the welcome :)! I just bought some fremont black lines yesterday from Elderly with the soloist low G as I saw another member reported some success with these strings. I actually kind of like the titanium's sound? They kind of sound metallic and harp-like, but I don't think I really like playing them.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! Really nice videos - thanks for sharing.

I have the siblings to two of your ukes - the OXK soprano and the Enya Nova U concert.

Top Bottom