Hiya from Brunei Darussalam!

dkzee

Reaction score
Hey UU! ;)

My name is Zee and I'm from Brunei Darussalam. Pleasure to meet you all!

Recently I've had an ukulele fever and wanted to start learning. This would be my first string instrument. An instrument I play is the piano.

I'm currently on the hunt for my first ukulele. Been to most of the local music stores, but still trying to figure out which would be best for me. Wish me luck!

So I hope to get to know people here as well as learn from you all!

Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to UU, and welcome to the ukulele! Your background in piano will help. The first thing to remember about ukulele is that it is not as exacting, technique wise, as is piano. If you are having fun, you are doing it right! Let us know what ukulele you get, and ask questions. We are happy to help!

Hi ya Zee and welcome aboard Ukulele Underground, they are a fantastic bunch on here. Brunei is a beautiful country, i have been there very shortly about 6 times, i try to always fly with brunei, they are my fave airline.
Look forward to seeing you on the forum and good luck with buying your fist uke, and then wait till you get UAS (ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) :)

Haha thank you ukuleledaveey!

D'aww, that's so sweet! Was expecting some people to be like, "Where's Brunei?" Haha. Glad to know someone here has been here!

Welcome! You know the keyboard works, from lower register to higher, well the fretboard works pretty much the same way. Ukulele fretboard theory should be a piece of cake for you.

If you haven't yet, check out Julia Nunes. You sound a little like her. I think you will enjoy this....grew up taking piano lessons who learned guitar and then ukulele!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Nunes

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Zee. I was born in that region (Central Java), but have never been to Brunei. Best of luck in your ukulele journey. I'm only in my 3rd month and am having a blast.

Thankies for so much love for the welcoming you guys!

@PhilUSAFRet; Oooh, I'll be looking into Julia Nunes. She sounds very interesting! There's still hope for me to master it. Haha.

@Drew Bear; Really? That's pretty swell! Just curious, how come you were born in Central Java? As I have mentioned I'm from Brunei, but I was born in France due to my dad's job. Just curious to know if it was similar to that.

Zee, my parents were born in Indonesia (grandparents from China). My siblings and I were all born there, but our parents moved the whole family to the U.S. when we were still very young so my dad could go to grad school. Fortunately for us, they eventually decided to stay here. Indonesia is great, but life is very different there. I went back once when I was in my early twenties and there's no way I would be able to live there after growing up in the U.S.

Ohhh, I see. So does that make you Indo-Chinese (I'm not sure if that's even the right term, haha) then? Do you speak/understand Indon?

I understand where you're coming from though! I can imagine the huge gap between the lifestyle in Indonesia and the U.S.

I understand Indonesian, but speak it with a heavy American accent. ;) I consider myself Chinese, but a more complete "label" would probably be Chinese-American born in Indonesia. Apart from the language and food, I really have little connection to the Indonesian culture.

Top Bottom