how big are your ukulele collections?

Republic Reso-Relic Concert Ukulele-- Shipped today. I've heard mixed things, but the people who don't insist that the only good resonator uke is a National seem to say it's a pretty good deal, even if it needs a little improvement outta the box. I've seen SEVERAL reviews that compare it favorably to a Johnson, and they cost almost twice as much. I'm psyched. :D

I was looking hard at this one too.. my next uke is gonna be a resonator. I read that worth brown strings work good with the Republic. sigh.. I wish I could get a National.. or a Ron Phillips reso . :D Let us know how you like the Reso-relic. :)

I was looking hard at this one too.. my next uke is gonna be a resonator. I read that worth brown strings work good with the Republic. sigh.. I wish I could get a National.. or a Ron Phillips reso . :D Let us know how you like the Reso-relic. :)

I'm just a poor grad student-- no way I'll be able to buy a National anytime soon, if ever. I'm happy with my cheapies.

I'll definitely be posting a review of the thing once I get it.

I have a ovation applause soprano fully acoustic, my first 'proper' uke and I love it. I also have a blue painted mahalo that I learnt on. It was a great instrument to see if I took to the uke but I found that I soon outgrew it and now when I go back to play it I really notice the shoddy intonation. Still, it will suffice as a festival beater.

I've got my eyes on a tenor next, I did quite fancy a fluke but now my head is getting turned by the kala ukes - they seem like great value for money. I rather like the one in the UU giveaway at the moment. I will have to get my arse in gear to do a video and try my luck!

I have had more then a few but trade in and out to get the sound and feel that I want.

Currently.

Mango Flea.
Its in the car so when the surf is bad.

K2 Kanile'a Tenor.
With old style bracing, quite possibly the best ukulele I have played under say 4K. People who I have let demo this one just keep playing and kind of trance out.

Keith Ogata Front Port. Extended scale, its kind of in between a baritone and a tenor in length but tuned like a tenor. Chunky sound really good on hula stuff.

Ko'olau T1. Kind of like this one, bought it because it is really good with the wound third string. I like there nitro instruments better and am going to get this one if I can drag up some extra cash later, and sell this one.
I am not sure I can justify the price and not order one from them exactly the way I want.

I compensated the saddle and had it cut for a pickup so I might just throw an a'diggaro into it and use it instead of a mic.

Kanile'a S.Tenor K5 SLothead Pending. Paid for it and its built they are doing the spray finish and polishing on it.

I have no idea how this will sound. I spec'd out some really out there MOP additions and a custom open headstock. Hopefully the new bracing style will be to my liking, I don't have a sound monster braced Kanile'a yet. I had Joe use some black SP Koa that he used in anther instrument and it had a great sound so I kind of took a chance.

Last edited:
I have had more then a few but trade in and out to get the sound and feel that I want.

Currently.

Mango Flea.
Its in the car so when the surf is bad.

K2 Kanile'a Tenor.
With old style bracing, quite possibly the best ukulele I have played under say 4K. People who I have let demo this one just keep playing and kind of trance out.

Keith Ogata Front Port. Extended scale, its kind of in between a baritone and a tenor in length but tuned like a tenor. Chunky sound really good on hula stuff.

Ko'olau T1. Kind of like this one, bought it because it is really good with the wound third string. I like there nitro instruments better and am going to get this one if I can drag up some extra cash later, and sell this one.
I am not sure I can justify the price and not order one from them exactly the way I want.

I compensated the saddle and had it cut for a pickup so I might just throw an a'diggaro into it and use it instead of a mic.

Kanile'a S.Tenor K5 SLothead Pending. Paid for it and its built they are doing the spray finish and polishing on it.

I have no idea how this will sound. I spec'd out some really out there MOP additions and a custom open headstock. Hopefully the new bracing style will be to my liking, I don't have a sound monster braced Kanile'a yet. I had Joe use some black SP Koa that he used in anther instrument and it had a great sound so I kind of took a chance.

Post a pic of that new Kanilea you are about to get...when you get it of course..ha! Sounds interesting.

I'm trying to keep it in check. I started with a Koaloha soprano, and it was sweet, but the size isn't for me, so I sold it on to a member of the local uke club (called FUN). I then decided to slum it a bit with a Fluke tenor surf with the rosewood fretboard. And then I wanted something to play at 2am, so I picked up the Risa uke-solid concert, and I plug that into a Roland Microcube.

But I'm longing for a solid wood acoustic that isn't so expensive that I can't take it outside, so I've got the Pono PTO on order. I'll sell the Fluke on if the Pono works out.

And then I'll move from the Risa to the Pete Howlett Uklectic. He's bringing one to Helsinki in June for me to test out, and you can't beat that with a stick. :D

So I'm just trying to keep two in rotation, and that is tough. ;)

Post a pic of that new Kanilea you are about to get...when you get it of course..ha! Sounds interesting.

Should be done this Friday according to them so I think it will be here in about 2 because of "Hawaiian Time". Its been about 14 weeks which when you think about it really is not that bad for a custom

Whats terrible is I am going to try and grab a production slot in May for a replica of the one at the MOMM that I likes.

I spec'd it out like this.

Super Tenor, 4 string, standard bridge.

Joes Choice Black Koa Top/Back/Sides
Tortise Binding.
Mother-of-pearl top purfling
Double Double MOP rosette (k-5), Inner wood Koa. Double Black rings)
RoseWood fret board with Paua mother-of-pearl position dots on top and side of fret board. 3/5/7/10/12D/15.
Geared open tuners. MOP buttons. Light weight.
Sound Monster Bracing.
Open Headstock with old logo in MOP

1. My first uke was a soprano Kamaka that I bought thru my elementary school PTA for $30, my parents made me pay for half. I still have it but it has a fixed crack and has been refinished.

2. Kelii 6-string curly koa tenor which I refinished myself.

3. Fluke 4-string concert for camping trips.

4. Kawika 4-string concert, spruce top, koa body, with paua inlays on top and soundhole.

5. Kawika 4-string tenor with koa body and cedar top.

6. Kawika 4-string baritone with koa body and spruce top.

Soprano "Hawaiian" ukulele...my first uke

2 home-made concert ukes

Ka'uwela zebrawood tenor

8-string Lanikai tenor

Pono Mahogany tenor

Pono Koa Deluxe tenor

Bugsgear tenor

Ko'Aloha tenor

Glyph soprano (#3!)
National Steel Reso, also soprano.
No-name banjo uke that needs its vellum replaced. I believe it's concert scale.
Several "project ukes" (all sopranos) in various states of disrepair.
A couple wallhangers people have given me.
My first uke, a really oddball and nearly unplayable no-name concert(ish) size.

The first two are my players. The banjo uke will go back on the playing list if I ever get around to fixing it.

Got only knows if anything will ever happen with the project ukes.

I couldn't care less about the wallhangers.

I keep my first one as a sort of sentimental thing.

Alegre Ovaition soprano?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. Except for the fact that my grandmother is living in my leg, I am pretty normal.

My first uke was a Cordoba koa soprano. I still like playing that one for grandma. hehehe.

I also have an Alegre Ovaition soprano I brought back from Cebu. That is a sweet uke with a solid Philippino mahogany back,spruce top, and Abalone inlays. Had to tweak it before it was really playable though.

And then I have a Kala curly mango tenor that is pretty cool, but not as warm sounding as a koa. It really is a beautiful uke though, and so much fun to play.

I have been wanting to add a concert uke to my modest collection, and was thinking about getting a Fluke, until I saw a nice Ohana solid cedar top concert uke that looks like a decent instrument for an good price.

One day I will break down and get a real uke, something like a Koaloha, or Kamaka tenor. I think those Compass Rose's sycamore uke's are interesting too. Wish I could hear one.

My wife said if I buy one more ukulele she would leave me... I miss her already.

peace out-

HEYY! so i read that you got an Alegre Ovaition soprano from Cebu. During my visit there i also got the same one! yours has a round back like an ovation right? cuz thats how mine is. it cost $500 (18,000 pesos) does yours work well? because i kind of regret getting it... =/ i think i should of just gotten an Appluase by Ovation Tenor UAE14

Although I've only been playing for 4 months now I already own 3 ukes with the 4th one already ordered. Just can't resist those little buggers.

First one was a cheap ass "Golden Ton" soprano. Sounds and smells like ass too, but I still like it cause it was the first.

Second I got a "Baton Rouge" soprano which now became my girlfriends uke.

Third one and the one I am currently playing all the time was a "Risa Koa Concert". I am very happy with this one.

Still to come is my MP koa/redwood tenor uke. This one will be a blast! After that, I think I'll take a break from buying ukes cause now I'm broke hahaha.

Started with a Johnson uk-120 9 weeks ago on a whim. I woke up one day and after listening to a Jack Johnson song I thought "wonder if I can play a ukulele"?
I tried to play a guitar several times but just couldn't figure out the 6 strings.
At that point I didn't realize that there were cheppy uke's and then all the rest.

Now I am the owner of a Kala Mahogany KA-T, 2 KA-S's (one for the car) I am "lending" my Johnson to a freind that wants to learn.

I just ordered a Kala Maple/Spruce Tenor.

I have a Koaloha Tenor on my Chritmas list, lets see if she gets it for me!!!!

I can't wait to get the UU ukulele when it is ready!!!!

I currently have the following:

KoAloha Tenor
KoAloha Pineapple Sunday
Ohana Solid Mahognay Tenor
And I have a Martin S-O and a Fluke Surf Tenor en route.

The Martin was built in 2001, the first year Martin got back into ukes, so I'm hoping it's a decent one. Either way, I got a smokin price, so it can't be that bad.

Hopefully in the future I will get a nice Concert, maybe a Kiwaya to round things out.

Last edited:
I'm Cliff Rock, and I have a problem. It all started Christmas 2006.
  1. Hilo Soprano My girlfriend bought this for me. It sat in a box for a year until my mom bought my brother a Kamaka Concert (the following Christmas, so I the addiction started in Jan/Feb 2008). He showed me a few chords, and that was my first hit on the uke pipe. Instant addiction. Now signed by Jake Shimabukuro and the Makaha Sons, and waiting for some more Hawaiian legends...I play this one a lot still, as it sounds great now that I changed the strings out to Martin's.
  2. Mitchell MU-70 Concert this was my upgrade from the Hilo. And it in fact was a huge upgrade. It's very bright, and I really love this one. I play this more than all of the rest of my ukes. This is my favority uke pipe.
  3. Bugsgear Concert Eleuke Eh, I play it a lot, but it's mainly when I want to make loud noises with my Digitech RP-90 processor/effects pedal. It's great sounding both plugged in or not. It's a great weapon and a must for my addiction.
  4. Risa Concert Uke Stick Solid this get's a lot of play in the car and up at work. It's fun to fool around with, but it's always an adjustment trying to play it. It's a different high.
  5. Banjo Uke eh...addicts do crazy things...i'm still adjusting it and working on the intonation...i don't think my noob ears will ever get it right.
  6. Vintage 6-string beater that I bought on ebay eh...looks nice, i need to figure out some stuff with the strings. Sometimes UAS hurts. This thing sucks, but looks neat.
  7. Kala KA-T Mahogany (tenor) i love this. I picked this one up here on UU. It's just another uke pipe to take hits from.
  8. Kala KA-T (tenor) i got this on accident...i think the uke was way too addictive that day.

Last edited:
Yep, I too have a big big problem - it all started in 1962 when I was 7 years old...

I have in my permanent herd:

1. S&H green stamps soprano - uh huh, I got this with S&H green stamps (stores used to give these stamps whenever you bought groceries, and you filled up booklets with them and took them to your nearest S&H green stamp Redemption Center where you could trade 'em in for stuff - lamps, rugs, dishes, toys, and yes, ukuleles!!!). This uke is unlabelled, made in West Germany, and is all solid mahogany. Bright, super resonsive, and lots of rich overtones, and good sustain. Excellent dynamics, volume, and playability. Intonation isn't very good though. But, mon, this uke is alive!!! Strung with Aquila's, sounds great with either low or a high G.

2. Larrivee soprano - spruce top with magonany back and sides. I am in love with this uke. Fantastic fat tone, dynamics, resonance, sustain, and playability. Very very loud, and sound beautiful when played softly too. Can play any style of music with this uku - classical, renaissance, blues, rock, standards. This uke be for low G tuning. Aquila strings. I don't think my life could go on if I ever lost this uku...

3. Kiwaya KSL-2 long neck soprano - this is my traveler - it's got an all-laminate body, made of Kiwaya's famous "hyperthin" koa laminate. So it can take it when I go to the desert in the summer or to the mountains in winter (although I'm still careful with it!). Incredibly lightweight and resonant, with incredible dynamics from loud to soft. Lots of volume. No sustain to speak of, but lots of clarity and punch. Aquila's live here too. (Actually, Aquilla's live on all my ukes...)

4. Risa electric tenor tuned to DGBE - steel strings. Very very cool mini shredder.

5. LoPrinzi cedar & mahogany concert uke - this is is one of LoPrinzi's lower end models with the satin finish, and it is a fantastic uke! Really nice dynamics, sustain, and a really pretty tone that has guts to it too. Yep, I am becoming a real avid LoPrinzi fan, that is for sure!

In my semi-permanent herd:

1. LoPrinzi model 3 concert - all solid mahogany. Very responsive uke with lots of overtones, very good dynamics, and great playability. Excellent volume. Very good sustain for an all-mahogany instrument. A very fine uke. One of the few modern ukes I like tuned with a high G. I like it with low G too. It might enter my permanent herd.

On order:

1. Earnest Instruments Stradelele concert - maple and spruce with Pegheds. I have high hopes for this one! Joel Eckhaus started working on it in July...

Let's not talk about my temporary herd, in case my spouse sees this...
I'm really trying to sell them, honey, honest... There are only five left to sell now... (or maybe trade???? Did I say that?)

You be looking for ukes, ask me...
I got for sale a Martin style 1 soprano, a KoAloha long neck soprano, a Kiwaya long neck soprano, a Mele 8 string tenor with cutaway, and a Kanile'a baritone...

Yep, I got a big big problem...

Last edited:
I am a terrible sufferer of UAS..

ukecollage-1.jpg

1. Kala KA-TE Mahogany Electric Tenor - from MGM on eBay. The grain is beautiful, the sound is beautiful, the uke is...well, beautiful.
2. Mahalo Telecaster Soprano Uke. Comes with decent GHS strings. Intonation is bad... Fun to muck around on.
3. Custom Sanchez SU-RBE-NGL Electric Soprano Uke - My first electric uke. Frets are tiny. Nice smooth rounded back, like an ovation. I customised it with some stickers (couldn't get any ukulele hero ones. And where do I get UU ones?)
4. K-Wave Les Paul Electric Rock Uke - Honey Sunburst. My most expensive uke. I LOVE this thing.. plays like a angel, sounds like a god.
5. Phoenix Soprano - Cheap piece of crap. I decorated it with white out. My busking uke.
6. Mahalo Flying V uke. BAD! sounds shocking.. Paid $50 but my $20 Phoenix sounds much better. The intonation is non-existent (this thing is nearly a semitone flat at the 12th fret!) But it looks cool.

Hehe. and to think... this is just the start..

well seeing as my dad and i both play uke and share all the ukes ill post both my collection and my dads as 1

ou5- tht uke started it all
koalana- my pops main uke
flea tappa custom- this flea is in the flea museum
lanikai lu-21 elec/acu-
Hilo tennor- my man uke tht i origanaly got to occupy me for track meets
and
hopfully the bugsgear eluke that i won in the contest

1. S&H green stamps soprano - uh huh, I got this with S&H green stamps (stores used to give these stamps whenever you bought groceries, and you filled up booklets with them and took them to your nearest S&H green stamp Redemption Center where you could trade 'em in for stuff - lamps, rugs, dishes, toys, and yes, ukuleles!!!). This uke is unlabelled, made in West Germany, and is all solid mahogany. Bright, super resonsive, and lots of rich overtones, and good sustain. Excellent dynamics, volume, and playability. Intonation isn't very good though. But, mon, this uke is alive!!! Strung with Aquila's, sounds great with either low or a high G.

How many German uke builders can there be? You've already got a Risa. Could this be a Brüko?

Right now my uke family consists of:

Pete Howlett Uklectic
Koaloha KSM-00 soprano
Koa topped concert Flea
Kala aqua tenor

- and a G String concert will be mine. I'm still thinking about the pros and cons of going with the tattooed Honu version versus something from the custom shop, but I will have one in my life.

- and an unborn uke that I waffle about because of the size, but then again it'll be epic, but then again the size...

- and the Kala Jazz tenor. Man oh man is it cool. The more I get a chance to hold one, the cooler I think it is.

- and lots of "Oh, I want one of those!" but we all go through that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom