Closed How do I find signatures?

Jim in Oregon

Reaction score
I've seen people reference their signatures, as in "You'll see my ukes in my signature," etc. I can't seem to find these sigs by clicking on the poster's info.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Jim

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Click on your profile at the top right of the browser. one of the choices should be Signature.

... I can't seem to find these sigs by clicking on the poster's info.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Jim
Look below , and see mine under the "greyed out" line.

Many people post their ukuleles there. You can put "whatever" in your signature.

Last edited:
I view UU using a regular PC running the latest version of Windoze. I can't see people's signatures. I didn't have anything entered as a signature myself, so I entered something, but it doesn't appear.

John, Win 10 (up-to-date) displays it: "Do the best you can with what you've got."
(None of my 5 machines will be able to run Win 11.)

There is a check box in your account's Preferences: 'Show people's signatures with their messages'

I would never put my ukes in my signature. I only put very important information there.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Looks like it's equipment-related for me. A 10-year-old laptop running Windows Middle-Ages is the only alternative to my phone.

Jim

Possibly browser related? Do you have any other browser options you can try?
Thanks, but I guess I'm leaning toward the "life's too short to worry about this" side of things.

I'm accustomed to forums that make signatures easy to access. Anyhow, no biggie.

Jim

Thanks, but I guess I'm leaning toward the "life's too short to worry about this" side of things.

I'm accustomed to forums that make signatures easy to access. Anyhow, no biggie.

Jim
There is also a forum setting under your profile which toggles the viewing (or hiding) of signatures. It might help to check that setting as well. It under your profile in the preferences section.

There is also a forum setting under your profile which toggles the viewing (or hiding) of signatures. It might help to check that setting as well. It under your profile in the preferences section.

On the admin side, there's also a setting that shows them all by default. It's currently off.

I haven't had a chance to ask why the UU folks have it set that way, or how they'd feel about changing it, but the idea is that sigs take up space, and in a long thread, or frequent posters who have long sigs, pages can become cluttered and hard to read.

Making the display of sigs optional is therefore not only good, but the only polite way to handle them. But I'm not persuaded one way or the other which the right default is.

@Jim in Oregon is clearly inclined toward "all on by default". I'm leaning more that way, but so far only leaning.

Anytime else care to chime in? Knowing that we have to default to something, which do you think it should be? See 'em all by default unless you turn them off, or default to none unless you turn 'em on?

Anytime else care to chime in? Knowing that we have to default to something, which do you think it should be? See 'em all by default unless you turn them off, or default to none unless you turn 'em on?
Hm. Given that I've been both an admin and a user, I can see the benefits / costs of both options. I don't know if there is a "one stop shop" glaringly obvious "how to" FAQ thread here, I've obviously not yet stumbled across it lol, but it would be really useful to have. So we need the "forum rules" threads available so everyone can easily refer to them, but it would also be really good to have a "New here? Read this first" (and maybe we do!) which would include things like how to send/respond to a PM, how to check for new posts, how to set up your signature & enable it, how to add photos... you get the idea. OK now that I've said this I'm going to sleuth around and see if I can find a single post that includes this kind of stuff. There must be. This forum has been around for donkeys, I can't believe that there wouldn't be such a thing.

But in answer to your question! I think that having it turned off by default with clear information on how to set it up & enable it would be great.

Reactions: TBB
it would also be really good to have a "New here? Read this first" (and maybe we do!)

We don't! At least not that I've found. I've seen some options for creating guided tours of member settings and options, and I think that this is a great idea.

But in answer to your question! I think that having it turned off by default with clear information on how to set it up & enable it would be great.

Noted! Thanks! Optional settings that people don't know about aren't very helpful, so the combo of having the option and TELLING people that they have the option is the way to go

And fwiw, I've had "show signatures" enabled from the beginning, and everybody's I've seen is perfectly polite. That's another reason I'm slightly leaning towards turning them on by default, but I'll wait to hear more. 😊

Turning them on by default for new users is good for discoverability.
Turning them on for existing users who have them turned off is user hostile.

I don't know if there is a "one stop shop" glaringly obvious "how to" FAQ thread here, I've obviously not yet stumbled across it lol, but it would be really useful to have.

Stickied at the top of the Beginner's Forum:

It's out of date and easily lost in the cruft. The sticky posts across the board need to be revisited, updated, and cleaned up. There shouldn't be dead links in the stickies, especially for the rules. XenForo allows highlighting the stickies better than the old version (and the current default) does so they're more visible, and the "Read me first" post can be included in the welcome to the forum mail.

Top Bottom