How do I play with a duet with a guitar?

applescruff

Reaction score
Is there anyway to transpose either my chords or the guitars so that we can play together?

I recently introduced the ukulele to my guitar classes. One half of the class plays ukes, while the rest play guitars. We play out of uke and guitar books as well as from guitar ensemble music. It works well. Although the fingerings are different for each instrument, the chords/notes are the same. The only problem occurs when playing above the staff, where the guitar "E" is the open string, while the uke is already on the seventh fret. These notes I transpose down an octave. It has worked well.

Is there anyway to transpose either my chords or the guitars so that we can play together?

You can play the same chords as the guitar. A soprano, concert, or tenor uke has the same bottom four strings of a guitar as if you capoed on the fifth fret of a guitar. Essentially you are tuned up a fourth. A high g (fourth string) is called re-entrant....it is an octave higher. Hope this makes sense and helps.

Alright, so, when I was playing with the guitar though, on my soprano uke, we were both playing the same chords with the fingerings suited for our respective instruments, but it sounded terrible.

@ Mandarb
So, if I just transpose my chords down four steps... Like my "G" would be a "D" with guitar *... Then it'll sound good? That is, if the guitar isn't capoed on the fifth fret and such?

*Down four steps: G-F#-E-D#-D, correct?

Last edited:
Top Bottom