How do you store your extra strings?

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This might be kind of a dumb question, but wanting to try new things, recently I've accumulated a lot of strings. I'm not a super organized person, so for now they're just kinda sitting in a stack on my desk and my cat keeps knocking them over. I'm tired of picking them up. How do you all store/organize your strings? In a box? On a shelf? In your uke cases?

Just looking for neat ways to get organized, I guess. I don't want to throw them on a shelf in the closet and forget about them.

In the envelope in my Strings drawers

I don't keep a lot on hand, I only have 4 sets contained in 3 packets. (3 different brands) They just sit on top of my book shelf.

I keep some in the uke cases just "in case". And I have two big envelopes one with regular sets and one with various single low A and low G strings.

An old CD storage "wallet"...

Plastic bag and wherever they happen to land. Don't give them much thought

Shoebox with a couple of tools in the front of it for changing them.

I keep them in the original yellow envelope they came in from StringsByMail lol. Been meaning to find a better place for them.

In a plastic magazine holder in my closet.
strings.jpg

In the pocket of the gig bag that holds the uke they fit. I have three ukes and one spare set of strings for each, so organization is not taxing. ;)

I have a LOT of guitar & ukulele strings in stored in 3 shoe boxes. I have several categories of uke strings (baritones, tenors, 5-string tenors, 8-string tenors, 8-string baritones) so I use index cards to separate them.

Another dumb question. If the strings are kept for long time, such as 2 or 3 years, will it change to bad sound or even not useful any more? Or it will stay as good as fresh new?

This might be kind of a dumb question, but wanting to try new things, recently I've accumulated a lot of strings. I'm not a super organized person, so for now they're just kinda sitting in a stack on my desk and my cat keeps knocking them over. I'm tired of picking them up. How do you all store/organize your strings? In a box? On a shelf? In your uke cases?

Just looking for neat ways to get organized, I guess. I don't want to throw them on a shelf in the closet and forget about them.
I've got a box that made to hold about 50 audio cds and came with a few dividers. I use the dividers to seprate the different sizes and tunings. Works pretty well.

Another shoebox here. I like clear plastic box, and the CD storage wallet is genius.

You should just get a new uke for each new set of strings. That way you don't have to worry about string storage.

Top Bottom