How do you store your extra strings?

Another dumb question. If the strings are kept for long time, such as 2 or 3 years, will it change to bad sound or even not useful any more? Or it will stay as good as fresh new?
I'd say this depends on the packaging. Most uke strings come in sealed plastic packaging but some, like Aquila, only have a sort of envelope holding the strings and thus they're exposed to the elements. I've seen some pretty bad examples of Aquila strings where the colour has changed from that typical white to almost yellow. Not a pretty site. But if the package is sealed you should easily be good for storing them for a couple of years.

I have what I call my "string change box". It contains what I need to complete the job (winder, tuners, string cutters, peg puller etc...)

I'd say this depends on the packaging. Most uke strings come in sealed plastic packaging but some, like Aquila, only have a sort of envelope holding the strings and thus they're exposed to the elements. I've seen some pretty bad examples of Aquila strings where the colour has changed from that typical white to almost yellow. Not a pretty site. But if the package is sealed you should easily be good for storing them for a couple of years.
Thanks, then that should be fine for me.

I could be in the minority, but I dont typically have extra strings. I buy them when I want to put them on a uke. I have a new pack of uke logics coming mondayish. Some of these pics its like $100 in strings chilling out in a box. Maybe I dont have enough ukes. I dont know. I have 6 of them.

I could be in the minority, but I dont typically have extra strings. I buy them when I want to put them on a uke. I have a new pack of uke logics coming mondayish. Some of these pics its like $100 in strings chilling out in a box. Maybe I dont have enough ukes. I dont know. I have 6 of them.
I have to agree. I used to collect strings, but it became apparent that I would never use them. So I threw them away. I have one set of strings in my ukulele case in case my current strings snap. If I want to experiment with a new set of strings, I buy them, cut the old strings off my uke with a pair of scissors and put on the new ones. If I buy a set of guitar strings for my electric ukes, I throw away the two strings I don't use. I'm just not a pack rat.

This might be kind of a dumb question, but wanting to try new things, recently I've accumulated a lot of strings. I'm not a super organized person, so for now they're just kinda sitting in a stack on my desk and my cat keeps knocking them over. I'm tired of picking them up. How do you all store/organize your strings? In a box? On a shelf? In your uke cases?

Just looking for neat ways to get organized, I guess. I don't want to throw them on a shelf in the closet and forget about them.
What are extra strings?
If I had any, could I just leave them in my car? It really doesn't get that hot inside....

I have to agree. I used to collect strings, but it became apparent that I would never use them. So I threw them away. I have one set of strings in my ukulele case in case my current strings snap. If I want to experiment with a new set of strings, I buy them, cut the old strings off my uke with a pair of scissors and put on the new ones. If I buy a set of guitar strings for my electric ukes, I throw away the two strings I don't use. I'm just not a pack rat.
d'Addario has a string recycle program. I think you need 2 lbs. They give you store credit. Our club has a guy that collects them all, so they don't go to the dump.

I've got an OLD floppy disk storage box (the 5 1/4" real floppies!) that's perfect for storing string packages plus room in the back for clippers, string winder, and other miscellaneous maintenance items.
box.jpg

I have one extra set per uke, in case a string snaps. My local music store has very limited selection of uke strings, so if they were out of the size I needed I’d be unable to play that uke until an online order could come in. First world problems, I guess, but I like to be prepared. But no more often than I changed strings it doesn’t make sense to keep very many sets on hand.

I have a small drawer where I keep the picks and the slide that I never use, an egg shaker, and of course extra strings for a variety of instruments.
Not a enormous stash, just one spare set for each type, tenor low G, tenor high G, concert high G fluorocarbon, classical guitar strings, steel guitar strings, bass guitar strings.
And then som nylgut that I might never get around to since I discovered fluorocarbon.

Mine are here, with various other related doodads and spritzels that tend to accumulate...

IMG_1529.jpeg

~ S.

A little wooden tool box that my wife's grandfather made her. I have the strings, a bunch of picks, some tools, a spare tuner, just all my ukulele and guitar accrouchaments are in it.

Top Bottom