Votes: 123 22.2%
  • Not bad

Votes: 182 32.8%
  • My singing is bad

Votes: 199 35.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 51 9.2%

• Total voters
I can carry a note, hate the tone of my voice....

There you go.
I think singing is as much about listening as it is about making a noise.

I really wonder about out of tune singers - they can't be hearing what I am hearing?

I sometimes hit dud notes especially when attempting harmony lines - but I am aware of it when I do.

I think LISTENING is so important when singing.

I'd argue that attitude and musicianship can overcome the quality of the voice (see Willie Nelson, Louis Armstrong and Bob Dylan for some best "bad" voices out there). In other words - its not the tone its how you feel the music.

I'd argue that attitude and musicianship can overcome the quality of the voice (see Willie Nelson, Louis Armstrong and Bob Dylan for some best "bad" voices out there). In other words - its not the tone its how you feel the music.
Agreed - When I was a lot younger I hated the videos of Janis Joplin singing - but I get it now. She sang with her heart and soul - and I know that I could never put that stuff over like she did. It's important to be able to stay in tune, and the next thing is to sing with heart and soul. Having said that; like A.H, "I can carry a note but hate the tone of my voice...." and I think the heart and soul and the right voice to put it over is just magic. Perhaps a lot of it is control.... and technique..... but I wish I had that, and a good voice to go with it!

When I think of singers that I love, that do not have what would be considered great voices (think Dylan, Willie Nelson, Louie Armstrong), I wonder why those of us who love and feel the music can't seem to find our own unique but enjoyable voice. My singing stinks and I while it's not critical to me to sing great, I wish I could capture whatever it is that those great non-classic singers have to make my voice easier on the ears.

I sing best Tenor.. twelve miles from anyone ...:nana:

Or Solo...no one can hear... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sing? Umm sure, if you can call it singing :) LOL!

When I think of singers that I love, that do not have what would be considered great voices (think Dylan, Willie Nelson, Louie Armstrong), I wonder why those of us who love and feel the music can't seem to find our own unique but enjoyable voice. My singing stinks and I while it's not critical to me to sing great, I wish I could capture whatever it is that those great non-classic singers have to make my voice easier on the ears.
That's exactly how I feel about my voice! I think there are a lot of us about! Perhaps we just have to keep trying......

I am a bad singer my wife told me and she knows,
but there is one thing about my singing is that I really enjoy it even tho it is bad,

I think many people can sing better than they think - you are always your own worst critic. My wife says she can't sing, but I know better. I've heard her singing along with the radio, and she has a lovely voice.

I think many people can sing better than they think - you are always your own worst critic. My wife says she can't sing, but I know better. I've heard her singing along with the radio, and she has a lovely voice.

By the same token, there are a lot of people who think that they can sing much better than they actually do. (Just take the auditions for American Idol and such shows for example.) I'm totally in favor of being positive and supportive of people who are willing to go out on a limb and sing giving them due credit for the effort but in all honesty, when watching the wealth of uke videos out there, there are a lot of terrible singers. It would be interesting to see the comparison between someone's self evaluation and compare it with an honest audience evaluation of the same performance. I'm sure that there would be some people who would move up in their estimation but I bet there would be a greater number of people who would move down.

Last edited:
I am a bad singer, but getting better. "Sucking at something is the first step at being sorta good at something." I love singing and even if I never get good at it I won't stop! My apologies to my neighbors.

In the UK we have a fella called Gareth Malone http://www.garethmalone.com/ who can teach ANYONE who can sing to sing well! Even better, he seems to be a genuinely top bloke, and this week he was photographed buying a rather lovely Pete Howlett tenor ukulele :shaka:

I'd love to have a great voice that everyone loved to hear. Unfortunately, I don't. I've occasionally thought something I've sung sounded pretty good. But then, that's just me. Most of the time I think, "That was awful, where did those notes come from anyway?" I have a terrible propensity to wander off key. One thing I've noticed, the more I like a song, the better I am at singing it. I suppose that makes sense somehow.

Singing is just part of me. Always has been and always will be.
I allowed being 'a singer', and to a lesser degree, a performer, to define who I was for many years.
I consider my voice as my primary instrument. Or rather I did when I still had the full monty. it's still a very nice voice, a very very nice voice even, it's just not what it was or should be as a result of ill-health. I can hear the difference and struggle to live with it. [sure need to build m'confidence again eh]

I feel a little sad about the rather high percentage of poll-takers who've classed themselves in the lower two categories / degrees of "bad".

I believe anyone can sing, just as anyone can uke.

Each of us is wherever we are in our learning process at any given point in time ... it's not a fixed thing that you were born with.

Just like uking, the more I do it, the better I'll get ... just by doing it!

If I also want to consciously focus on improving, there are many resources that can help me do that faster and more fully. But even without all that, simply by doing it, I'll improve.

When I was quite young (6 or 7) I was told I could not carry a tune. That's true of most kids that age, I suspect. Because I was told that, I learned (falsely!) that singing ability was something you either had or didn't have, and I stopped singing.

Thankfully, at some point well into my adult years, I realized the absurdity of telling a little kid something like that ... I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been told that, I'd have learned!

On the theory that it's never too late, I joined my local community chorus, where I started out over my head and pretty much sucking ... and left a few years later looking for a bigger challenge. Ultimately that led me to a gold-medal-winning barbershop chorus of about 60 women. We won gold again, with me in the chorus ... so I guess I can't have been too horrible.

Singing, like uking, is a learnable skill. If you enjoy it, or want to, just do it and keep doing it. If you want to improve faster, put yourself in an environment where you'll get more training. If not, just have fun and do it. (Barbershop is especially great training ... no ukes though. :))

The Seasons of the Ukulele, right in this forum, is a really great place to keep singing and improving, week after week. Participating in that weekly is one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Sing. Have fun. Don't ever, ever say you're bad. Just sing.

Top Bottom