How to Make a Uke from Pencils

Jerryc41

Reaction score
You could buy yourself a uke made from match sticks!

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/matchstick-ukulele

"And it sounds exactly like it has been made out of matchsticks." ;)

I don't know how they could have done it, but having the heads on the matches would have looked a lot better. But how to make them non-flammable.

I like the idea of resin, but it would be thick and not have much vibration.

Apologies, I think we derailed your thread Jerry. We are talking about the Pohaku matchstick uke and the Cigar Label uke referred to was a Pohaku too.

Ah, I see. Don't worry about derailing. As long as the conversation centers around ukes, I'm happy.

Okay, I remember seeing the matchstick uke, and I commented that it would look better with the match heads. Making the heads safe would be a challenge.

Sweet! I saw that one. Hope you love it!

Hasn't gotten a lot of play time, unfortunately; been busy lately and I still need to bring the action down a bit.

What strings did you land on liking the best with yours? I was watching your YouTube vids of the string tests.

Hasn't gotten a lot of play time, unfortunately; been busy lately and I still need to bring the action down a bit.

What strings did you land on liking the best with yours? I was watching your YouTube vids of the string tests.

I settled on Worth Browns for mine. Still happy with them; still my favorite uke I’ve ever owned. I’ve been meaning to bring the action down on mine a little bit too. It’s not that it’s particularly high, but its at the high end of what I like on a soprano and I would like to cut the saddle down just a little.

Last edited:
This "colored pencil" ukulele looks cool as a wall hanger, but it's gotta sound dead...

I settled on Worth Browns for mine. Still happy with them; still my favorite uke I’ve ever owned. I’ve been meaning to bring the action down on mine a little bit too. It’s not that it’s particularly high, but its at the high end of what I like on a soprano and I would like to cut the saddle down just a little.

I think mine is the same. It's fine at the nut but could stand to have little bit taken off the saddle. Every time I pull this uke out of the case though I'm blown away by how pretty the fretboard is. It's Spanish cedar and the grain looks amazing.

Top Bottom