Huawind Concert Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
A new brand to me. Occasionally I find diamonds in the rough on Amazon.. not sure today was that day!

I was just wondering why you chose to buy such an obviously ugly instrument? Did the description mention that hideous laser etching? I don’t disagree with any of your points, but if you buy something that’s shown to be super ugly, it seems you wanted that, and then it’s unfair to pile on (justified) insults when it is what was described. Same thing with the big tuner buttons. If that makes sense. I wish you had chosen something that looked good to begin with and then exposed its flaws.

Looks like they stopped selling it in shame. 🙂

I was just wondering why you chose to buy such an obviously ugly instrument? Did the description mention that hideous laser etching? I don’t disagree with any of your points, but if you buy something that’s shown to be super ugly, it seems you wanted that, and then it’s unfair to pile on (justified) insults when it is what was described. Same thing with the big tuner buttons. If that makes sense. I wish you had chosen something that looked good to begin with and then exposed its flaws.

Looks like they stopped selling it in shame. 🙂
Not sure you understand how Got A Ukulele works? I didn't buy this for ME - I review instruments every week. My aim is to keep the instruments spread as much as I can between high end, mid level and bargain level (to suit all readers).

I bought this as I often look at the highest rated cheap ukes on Amazon (people are clearly buying them) as they seem to be popular - in order to give a balanced view against those people who say everything is wonderful. This is one of those. It was bought for review, and I had no idea if it would be good, bad or indifferent until I played it. I didn't even look at the pictures.

So, frankly, all your points make no sense to me.

They haven't stopped selling it - still available at least in the UK.

I do often wonder how many times I need to point out that despite reviewing over 300 ukes I don't live in a house with 300. I own about 6. This was obtained ONLY for review and will be donated to local school or charity shop next week.

It's not available in the UK.

I'm sorry my points don't make sense to you, which is really just one point. I've been reading, enjoying, and complimenting your reviews for years, so I thought I had a handle on how you do them. What I'm saying is there are a LOT of cheap ukes on Amazon and it seemed like you could choose to review one that you sort of liked the look of rather than choosing one that's ugly from the start and then saying that you don't like that it's ugly. It's like if I hate purple, buy a purple shirt, and then return it because it's purple. But I am probably missing something in your choice criteria.

Is the 300 ukes comment directed at me? I didn't say or imply that.

Thanks for the review, Baz. There's one to avoid.
Completely.

I'm sorry my points don't make sense to you, which is really just one point. I've been reading, enjoying, and complimenting your reviews for years, so I thought I had a handle on how you do them. What I'm saying is there are a LOT of cheap ukes on Amazon and it seemed like you could choose to review one that you sort of liked the look of rather than choosing one that's ugly from the start and then saying that you don't like that it's ugly. It's like if I hate purple, buy a purple shirt, and then return it because it's purple. But I am probably missing something in your choice criteria.

May I speak for Baz?
The point of this is to steer us away from something cheap that we might think looks okay.

They shouldn't, but tons of people shop on Amazon....(my opinion)

It IS available in the UK - Free delivery tomorrow on this link as I see it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N3CU...48a68321dbdfac4952c16&creativeASIN=B01N3CUC67

Yes there are a lot of cheap ukes on Amazon. But I don't choose ukes to review that I like, there would be no point in that. I choose ukes to review that people (not necessarily me, but more likely the majority) are likely to consider buying. I do that to provide a service to the most likely buying paths. Doesn't matter what I want.

I don't see the point in my only reviewing stuff I like the look of - how is that an impartial review? The 300 ukes comment is to highlight that I clearly have not bought 300 ukes for review - where would I keep them? I review a LOT of ukes, but pretty much none are done because I liked them in advance - that's not the point of my site.

What I'm saying is there are a LOT of cheap ukes on Amazon and it seemed like you could choose to review one that you sort of liked the look of rather than choosing one that's ugly from the start and then saying that you don't like that it's ugly. It's like if I hate purple, buy a purple shirt, and then return it because it's purple. But I am probably missing something in your choice criteria.
I don't think the point of reviewing things - be it ukes or other instruments or anything else - is trying to seek said things that you might like necessarily. Rather, at least to me, the point is to inform the public of said things that might be good, bad, good value, bad value, or whatever quality that the reviewer might perceive. Here the premise was reviewing a uke that was a popular item on Amazon, which might be valuable information for someone looking for ukes on Amazon in particular.

Over and over again, I've seen this argument that reviewers shouldn't review things they know they probably won't like, and I've never understood it. Very few reviewers are intentionally looking for products to bash. Every now and again, they are going to stumble upon a product that will pleasantly surprise them. That has happened with Baz in the past as well. Do you really think that would've happened if he only reviewed ukes that were 100% sure to please him? Makes no sense to me.

I don't think the point of reviewing things - be it ukes or other instruments or anything else - is trying to seek said things that you might like necessarily. Rather, at least to me, the point is to inform the public of said things that might be good, bad, good value, bad value, or whatever quality that the reviewer might perceive. Here the premise was reviewing a uke that was a popular item on Amazon, which might be valuable information for someone looking for ukes on Amazon in particular.

Over and over again, I've seen this argument that reviewers shouldn't review things they know they probably won't like, and I've never understood it. Very few reviewers are intentionally looking for products to bash. Every now and again, they are going to stumble upon a product that will pleasantly surprise them. That has happened with Baz in the past as well. Do you really think that would've happened if he only reviewed ukes that were 100% sure to please him? Makes no sense to me.
Exactly this!

Top Bottom