I’ve been away a (very) long time

aquadan

Reaction score
Hi everyone I used to be an active member here, but nerve damage and arthritis stopped me from playing several years ago. It looks like I haven’t been here since 2015 so I don’t know if any of my old buddies are still around. I still can’t play, but I miss the music and the friends so decided it was time to come back and see how the uke world is doing these days.

i hate to do it, but I’ll probably start listing some of my instruments in the coming weeks. Not sure I’ll be able to bring myself to let go of my Timm’s or National yet, but that still leaves about a dozen other cases stacked in my bedroom that should find homes where they can be loved.

if you remember me from before, please say hi.
Dan

Hi everyone I used to be an active member here, but nerve damage and arthritis stopped me from playing several years ago. It looks like I haven’t been here since 2015 so I don’t know if any of my old buddies are still around. I still can’t play, but I miss the music and the friends so decided it was time to come back and see how the uke world is doing these days.

i hate to do it, but I’ll probably start listing some of my instruments in the coming weeks. Not sure I’ll be able to bring myself to let go of my Timm’s or National yet, but that still leaves about a dozen other cases stacked in my bedroom that should find homes where they can be loved.

if you remember me from before, please say hi.
Dan
Hi aquadan,
I joined in 2016, so we’ve never met on the UU Forum, but I can empathize with you. Over the past couple of years, my own rheumatoid arthritis has begun to affect my ability to play ukulele, so I can envision the time, not too far down the road, when I will be at the place you are now. Hopefully, others members from your earlier time here will chime in, and you will find joy in reconnecting with them. And when all (or most) of your ukuleles have finally been re-homed, you will still have the good memories to keep you connected to the UU community.
Jan

Hi aquadan,
I joined in 2016, so we’ve never met on the UU Forum, but I can empathize with you. Over the past couple of years, my own rheumatoid arthritis has begun to affect my ability to play ukulele, so I can envision the time, not too far down the road, when I will be at the place you are now. Hopefully, others members from your earlier time here will chime in, and you will find joy in reconnecting with them. And when all (or most) of your ukuleles have finally been re-homed, you will still have the good memories to keep you connected to the UU community.
Jan
My problem is only in my left hand, but I’m a lefty so it’s not a great situation. I worked with Craig and Sarah on the arthritis and they helped me find ways to make fretting easier, but then I crushed the nerves in my neck that lead to my fingers. I still don’t have feeling in them and can’t fret anymore. Good luck to you with your hands, if you haven’t tried it, working with an instructor may help you play longer.

Hi aquadan. Welcome back. I joined in 2018. I'm sorry to hear of your hand and neck problems. You are certainly welcome to join in discussions.

Welcome back aquadan!
I joined in 2020 and I hope to remain active here for many years, both contributing/ reading and playing my ukes. But if I found myself unable to play, I'd choose to give my instruments to people who'd play and look after them. (Shipping them would cost more than they're worth.)

I’m not sure if I’ve been here that long, but welcome back. Your name seems vaguely familiar, if I could see your old avatar photo, I might remember that. So sorry about the arthritis and injury.

Hi aquadan, I joined ages ago but I am a very inactive member - mostly a lurker.

Welcome back, and best of luck!!

I'm a noob, but I hope some of your old mates chime in. I'm sorry, too, to hear of your inability to play any more. Looking forward to hearing more from you on the forum though!

Welcome back! I have been here since 2014. My playing has gotten crappier due to arthritis, but I still play. The dog thinks it is pretty good.

Aquadan- Welcome back. I’ve only been here (and the owner of a uke) about nine months. My wife has a similar issue with both hands. Unfortunately the surgery recommended by the neurologist didn’t help. I hope it’s numbness and not pain. Neuropathy is bad enough on its own.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! It's mostly numbness, and lack of dexterity, but there's also a low grade feeling like I stuck my fingers in a light socket most of the time. Surgery unfortunately didn't help and I've learned to live with it.

Because my right hand is still OK, I've started looking into playing the lap steel guitar as it only requires a light grip on the bar in my left hand. I've missed making music, so I'm hoping it I can make it work out. Unfortunately it's a very different online community and is nothing like this group. Very few people are talking online and those who do mostly play the big country music style pedal steel consoles. It's nice to see this group is still so active.

aquaDan,,

Your true love of uke shows thru.

Each of us shares that with you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom