I can see the desire for more than one

I’m like everyone else… the eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear enough of hearing… but I try to live simply. That doesn’t mean I don’t like nice things, I just try to be wise and have few of them. I see the thread of “How many ukuleles do you have?” and most of the time I just don’t understand. I’m not someone who judges others and says you should only have what you need. Bless you for having the funds and enjoying yourself. But personally I’m thinking, I could never play them all. It would feel like a waste.

A few weeks ago I was able to pick up a Kala KA-SMHT-SC for a great price (to me). Plays great… sounds great… I’m good… don’t need anymore.

Except… I don’t know… maybe… I would like to have a low G uke. I like the Tenor size and I saw on here where someone took the middle four stings of a classical set of strings and turned their tenor into a baritone. That could be fun. And even though I think they’re goofy, a guilele could be fun. Could a guilele scratch both the guilele and low G string itches? 🤔

But then I took some college students on a retreat this weekend. I took my uke. It was great. But there were so many times I could see it getting ruined… dropped on the concrete, etc. Well, I guess I need a travel uke as well.

I’m going to fight the urge for a second one for a while (my wallet will help me out quite a bit with this) but I can see how it’s so easy to have more than one. I’ve already talked myself into three to four more. 😳

I'm slightly envious. If I'm honest, there's definitely some diminishing returns in going out and buying lots of ukes. I love variety, and there are so many variations of ukes. But at the same time, there was a nice simplicity to just having one or two ukes to spend all my time on. I'd love to have only a few ukes, but there are so many I'd have a tough time letting go. I'm not complaining, and I'm not discontent with this first world problem of too many ukes. But I do miss some of the simplicity of not having so many. I often admire those who are able to narrow their collection down over those who, like myself, tend towards an ever expanding collection. I think your reflections on this are pretty wise. Geez, maybe I should go sell something.

For myself, i think hanging out on the boards stokes the fire of UAS. If I just sat at home and played what I’ve got and used books and not the Internet, I wouldn’t see nearly so many ukes I want to try. :) but on the other hand, I’ve learned a lot here. Just once in awhile I have to step back and be content with what I have.
This is a truth...I found the same when joining some whisky appreciation forums...suddenly I was drinking more whisky! So I came away from those forums and drank less and bought more ukes...lol

I have 2 electric ukes with a low G. I technically have acoustic tenor, but that one is loaned out to a friend indefinitely. Anyway, if you have seen any of my videos, you'll know that I play all of my ukes in addition to my bass and piano. I feel like they all have their own personalities and I choose to play them based on that.

I may acquire an acoustic / electric for occasional use of doubling rhythm tracks, in addition to simple solo playing.

I don't think any of my ukes are redundant in any way.

This is a truth...I found the same when joining some whisky appreciation forums...suddenly I was drinking more whisky! So I came away from those forums and drank less and bought more ukes...lol
Lol. I have always flip-flopped with Photography and Uke/Music in the past 14 years. I had a baby 1 month before the shutdown and then the shutdown happened. Travel photography was impossible at that point, so I got back into music. I began selling some of my photography gear and used the money to buy ukes...lol

I'm in the process of cutting my collection by more than half, and have thought a lot about this... I feel like there's only one ukulele I will never sell (WNS), and that's my Kamaka HF-1 -- that said, I have a Pohaku Soprano on the way that should arrive on Monday, so that might make two I'd never sell... I have no real emotional attachment to the rest, and since I rarely, if ever, play them, I might as well let them go to someone who will. Trying to come to a realistic number of ukuleles that I should own, and thinking that might be three or four... but UAS definitely has a way of getting in the way...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed1
That's all part of the issue. The four I own are all unique and have their sound, size, place and what not. I'm sure I could add a couple of more that were equally in different categories. But at some point the overlap becomes a diminishing return and less playing of any one instrument. Why have a bunch of similar instruments waiting around to be played and taking up space?

My spouse complains about my 4 uke's now and then as she has had the same two main instruments close to 40 years. She sometimes says she would like another hardingfele and I say, "why not?" but she has not acquired a new one. Of course somehow other instruments have entered the household over the years and other than the bodhran they are not mine.......just saying.......

A blackbird ekoa tenor might make it into the household one of these days.........something that is a kind of go anywhere kind of uke with a top end sound......something to think about......

One thing that's tougher for me to relate to is when I see a large collection of cheap ukes. I understand not everyone can or wants to go out and purchase expensive ukuleles. But whenever I see a large collection of cheaper ukes, I think: that person could have bought a much nicer uke for the same amount of money.

I guess not everyone wants a really nice uke. And maybe for some people, it's fun to have a large collection, even if they're all cheap--they do get variety that way. Plus I'm sure many of us just kind of find ourselves having more ukes than we intended, so it's not always so carefully planned or thought out. Still, I think I'd rather have one Kamaka than a dozen Lunas.

Of course, I suppose the same could be said for me: cost-wise, I could trade in a bunch of my ukes for a Beau Hannam or a Chuck Moore or something like that. But then, I'm not interested in a Moore Bettah. Nothing against those high end ukes, I'm sure they're fantastic. It's just too rich for me, like really rich food. Maybe the person with a ton of cheap ukes feels the same about K brands?

Every day when I practice (a retired, hopeless intermediate with some hand problems) I put two or three ukes in front of me. I love listening to their differences. Yes, sometimes it does pull me away from serious practice as I go back and forth between them listening. However, it's what I enjoy doing which is the important part. If you can afford it, get the second or third or fourth or ... 😛

I have one. A plain black soprano uke. Might get one or two more for context-specific reasons - I enjoy playing it while going for walks, and I can't do that on a rainy day with a wooden instrument. A Waterman would be useful there. If I ever need an electro-acoustic, I'd like the Snail one.

I like the one I have though. I like the slightly harsh, insectile sound of a soprano uke.

Having said that, I'd like to collect the different sizes and learn to play them. A bass uke would be nice and it would be interesting to see what I can do with one of those tiny sopranissimos. But I wouldn't collect them just to collect them. The point of a uke is that I can play music on it, not that it's an ornament.

I have five ukes, all are different sizes and materials. All but one were under $200 and they all sound and play differently… but they are good instruments in my opinion and fun to play. I ordered a solid bamboo Aklot tenor arriving today just for the novelty and I hope I like it. Variety is the spice of life.

My mom is gifting me a Waterman for Christmas. Really delighted. I like to play my uke when out on hikes, but sometimes don't dare carry it because of heavy rain.

So that's 2...happy with those, would like a ukubass and a sopranissimo at some point, but not right now.

Last edited:
So far, three seems to be the perfect number for me: one concert strung high G, another strung low G, and a soprano. They comfortably accommodate all the tunes in my rather limited repertoire.

Top Bottom