I can't find uke chords for Murder By Numbers

Ila

Murder By Numbers is a song by the Police, written by Sting and Andy Summers. I've scoured the internet and all I can find is guitar chords that are greek to me. Can someone please tell me how to convert this to uke chords that are actually playable? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I really like this song and want to play it for SOTU.

Basically, the song follows this pattern:

Em7 Bbsus2 B7#9 BbMaj#11

There really isn't any need for bloodshed,

Em7 Bbsus2 B7#9 BbMaj#11

You just do it with a little more finesse.

Em7 Bbsus2 B7#9 BbMaj#11

If you can slip a tablet into someone's coffee,

F#7#9 FMaj7#11 Bm7

Then it avoids an awful lot of mess.

Em7 F#m7 G F#m7

It's murder by numbers, 1, 2, 3,

Em7 F#m7 G F#m7

It's as easy to learn as your ABC.

Em7 F#m7 G F#m7

Murder by numbers, 1, 2, 3,

Em7 F#m7 B7#9

It's as easy to learn as your ABC.

chris667

The chords on the uke will be exactly the same as the chords on the guitar. But they might not sound right, because you have to imply the bass with a ukulele.

I had a quick listen to the song and it is going to be quite a hard one to do on the uke. You haven't got that lovely fluid bass which the song really relies on.

Why don't you try a simplified version, which sounds a little more coherent if further from the original:

Em7 Am7 Bm7 B

There really isn't any need for bloodshed,

Em7 F#m G F#m

It's murder by numbers, 1, 2, 3,

Shout if you get stuck! :)

LorenFL

Start with a list of chords:
- Em7
- BbSus2
* B7#9
* BbMaj#11
* F#7#9
* FMaj7#11
- Bm7
- F#m7
- G

Uh, I think that's all of them. Don't have a lot of time right now.

I put a dash next to the standard uke chords. You can find them here. https://ukebuddy.com/ukulele-chords

So, you really only have four "problem chords". They're extended "jazz chords", and you'll just have to find something that sounds close enough that you can play, and work with it.

For example: B7#9... start with a B7. That already requires your 4 strings. You can't add an additional #9 to it. But, you could play it as a B9... and if you can figure out which string the "9" is (chord math, I'll leave it to you, but it's not complicated), go one fret sharp with it... maybe that would be close? Just gotta play around.

Really cool song, and I'm sure you know what it "should" sound like. You just have to find reasonable substitutes for those four oddball chords.

LorenFL

Okay, I can't make this sound right... but, that could just be me. Or, it could be that I'm playing to play a guitar song on ukulele (as noted... without a bass to back me up). FWIW, I am playing Low G. Worse yet, I'm a step down, I'm playing Low F using standard chord shapes. So, for me, everything sounds a note lower. (I don't play with other musicians, so it doesn't really matter)

Em7 - 0202
BbSus2 - 3011
B7#9 - 4355 (https://www.pianochord.org/b7plus9.html)
BbMaj#11 - 3553 (https://www.pianochord.org/bmaj9-flat.html drop the 3 and 5, add the #11)
F#7#9 - 2420 (same formula as B7#9 above = Take the F#9 and sharpen the 9... switched the A and A# to make it easier to fret)
FMaj7#11 - 2413 (https://www.pianochord.org/fmaj7.html drop the 5, add the #11... The 5 is a C... #11 is a C. So you land back on FMaj7!)
^^^ You could try dropping the 3 rather than the 5, this would give you two C's, which you could play as 5503?
Bm7 - 2222
F#m7 - 2424
G - 0232

Something like that. There are some awkward chords there that it would take me a long time to get to naturally. Good luck!

LorenFL

FWIW, these guys have chopped this down to six much simpler chords:

And this chick's got the groove down! That may be more important than the actual chords. (she's not fingering anything fancy, either)

Ila

FWIW, these guys have chopped this down to six much simpler chords:

And this chick's got the groove down! That may be more important than the actual chords. (she's not fingering anything fancy, either)

Hi, Loren. I saw that woman's cover of the song and you're right--she makes it look do-able, and she makes it sound good. I reached out to her but she has not responded. I think I'm going to have to realize that you and Chris are probably right and without a bass line, and with those weird guitar chords, I'm probably not going to be able to tackle this right now.