I don't think this is cool at all

for the last 25 years or so my wife and I have sat around the dining room table fantasizing about occupations. For the longest of times we wanted to be members of an entourage. More lately we have settled on being common sense consultants. We would be the filter for out of touch people before they post things. We would be there to say, "no, that's racist" or "no, that's sexist" or "no, this is 2022 and people don't say crap like that anymore." I don't know what to get a consulting firm up and running, but it sounds like our services are in dire need.
I wound up doing PR for non-profits and charities after years of corporate and agency graphic design, B2B & Consumer advertising & marketing.

It is the last refuge for a company trying to undo damage to its image by trotting out the family of the owner and have them talk about how they are just simple folks (musicians) trying our best to build a company that caters to the needs of other folks (musicians) just like us. We aren't professional marketing people. And we really don't know what we're doing. While we are stumbling around we offended other folks with things we inadvertently said or did. Etc. etc. The best being, "I take full responsibility..." Which translates to, "I was caught and have to backtrack and try to erase my transgressions."

Compare what he says and does to what any sleazy politician or shady business person does when they are caught doing something unethical or questionable.

Terry knows exactly what he is doing. He knows what his competitors are doing. So far he has grown and prospered by doing things his way. It's a very ego-driven company. A company that seems to be focused on what's best for Terry instead of serving his customers.

All I can say is I shan't buy from him. I shall advise others to do the same.

Last edited:
I've been curious to go look at his website, but decided that it's not worth what will probably be lots of tracking & advertising that I'll end up with after a visit there.

Natikadawn, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry that it was a bad experience, but it's a warning for us all to be careful about who we deal with, and to follow your advice to get things in writing.

I’m late to this party… but I was following the comments on the YT video while it was still up. It really shocked me how he thought that would go over well with people.

Almost 100% of the comments were negative and you would think the goal of his whole channel would be to foster a positive image of his brand and store. The ukulele community is not very large and word travels fast because we‘re pretty tight knit (and my side theory on this is that we have a great bond because we’re so used to our instrument being disparaged by everyone 😆).

Every single ukulele forum or FB group I’m on since then has had nothing but negative comments about him. I’m quite surprised the video stayed up as long as it did, to be honest…. I wonder how he’ll try to go about rectifying this, or just try to forget it and move on?

Edit: just saw the Instagram apology. If one can even call it that…

Last edited:
Ya it's an ish storm for him. Very entertaining. You've got to be someone special to piss off all kinds of ukulele people! Even Mim and Baz are "fired up"
It takes a lot to rile Mim. She's one of the most calm, peaceful people I've ever gotten to know. I can't wait to see her again. And Baz, i think he can make or break a dealer or supplier. People would do better not rile him. He's also one of my faves.

Last edited:
He's wrong about guitar culture. It's the same as uke culture. Guitar players (I'm one) don't think a factory-sealed instrument is a great idea, because we all know about musical instruments and how it NEEDS to be inspected and set up before it's reliably playable. The only real difference is that most electric guitar players can do the setup ourselves, because it's all designed to be end-user adjustable easily with screws. But buying an acoustic guitar? It's exactly like buying a uke in every way.

It's an instrument, not a toaster. "Factory-sealed" is not a positive. We all expect the music store luthier to have opened it, played it and messed with it before shipping.
He's wrong about guitar culture. It's the same as uke culture. Guitar players (I'm one) don't think a factory-sealed instrument is a great idea, because we all know about musical instruments and how it NEEDS to be inspected and set up before it's reliably playable. The only real difference is that most electric guitar players can do the setup ourselves, because it's all designed to be end-user adjustable easily with screws. But buying an acoustic guitar? It's exactly like buying a uke in every way.

It's an instrument, not a toaster. "Factory-sealed" is not a positive. We all expect the music store luthier to have opened it, played it and messed with it before shipping.
I agree, mostly. It's easier to buy a guitar in a music store than an ukulele. Most music stores just do not stock many ukuleles, but guitars hang on the walls by the dozen. We'd have to drive to the next state to see a good supply of ukuleles.

Isn't this the guy who's also selling lessons on how to become a millionaire or something like that? While I am all in for instrument retailers to make a decent living for themselves and their employees, I wouldn't necessarily want them to become millionaires by charging extra for setups and using shady business practices (like artificially increasing the price to mark it down as a sale at regular street price or even above that).
I despise people who use free public media to put forth a scam or a scheme to get rich. This guy's posts could be construed as wire fraud, if he's not damn careful. All he needs is one visit from the FTC to put him outta the public's misery.

Exactly!! The biggest growth opportunity for any ukulele seller is getting more people to play the uke. Uke market is still small in comparison to other instruments… I am still surprised at the number of people that call the uke on the wall in my home a guitar… they don’t even know what is possible!!! Most people got burnt when trying to learn a guitar or piano or violin and never got to know the friendliness of the ukulele and how it will make them happier! I am proud that I introduced at least 3 folks to pick up ukulele… that should be the mission of any seller. Pissing on brands or people’s expectations or squeezing google ad words to redirect as many to your site and then mislead them about fair pricing is focusing on the short term.
Spread the aloha! Not the hate…
As much as I LOVE Bluegrass music, I wish someone would have shown me the ukulele back in 1971 instead of me wasting my years struggling with the darn fiddle!

Heather Carter
And yeah—Terry does care about the ukulele, and so do I. Why else would we be putting on a festival???
(not a reply to rainbow, just grabbing the quote)

Is not the obvious answer that you want to make more money off the ukulele community?? Especially with all of the exorbitant VIP level pricing nonsense?

I am not sure if I am humored, angered or saddened by the Carters' complete lack of self-awareness.

From my experience with Terry Carter, this is much more than a choice of how to market your business. This is just another example of who he is as a person. Some may say it's only business, but it's so much more than that. When I attempted to trade in two of my ukuleles to ULTP for a particular ukulele I wanted, it was a horrible experience. I told myself it was a bad idea to do a trade in, but I didn't listen to my instinct and I hadn't heard anything bad about ULTP at the time. Anyway, he held my instruments for a month with no response about trade in amount. I had to contact him saying please just send my instruments back to me. Then he tried to get me on the phone to talk about the instruments when we had only had contact over text and email. My instincts said get everything in writing. He tried calling several times, but I would only respond though written communication to have all convo on record. He finally sent a text saying the Pono MB had a non functional truss rod and was buzzing. I bought this instrument from him. He said he could fix it by putting in a new saddle. He didn't mention that this was a warranty issue with Pono. He wanted to charge me for a new saddle and ignore the "nonfunctional" truss rod. I brought up Pono's warranty which he should have done for me as the person who sold the instrument to me. When I said I wanted to move forward with this as a warranty concern to Pono, he said he needed to talk to his luthiers again to make sure he had the info correctly as to the truss rod. I immediately wrote back that he had just told me in writing about his concerns with the broken truss rod. He knew he had been caught. I had it in writing so he couldn't go back on what he said. He said he would contact Pono about it and said he left a voicemail with them. I didn't trust him for a minute so I emailed Pono and got a response within the hour from John Kitakis. John was very nice and promised to work with Terry to replace the Pono, but John seemed very troubled by the idea of a broken truss rod, said that it was not a very common thing. Terry was pissed at me. Long story short, I ended up getting the Pono replacement directly from John because Terry was being incredibly passive aggressive because I didn't let him get away with conning me. I caught him in his game and exposed him to Pono. It was an incredibly stressful experience with a person who truly does not care about his customers. He wants to make as much money as he can and will rip you off to do it. As a retailer, if the truss rod was actually not working, he should have taken responsibility for that and taken the steps with Pono to get a replacement. Instead, he tried to get money out of me for an instrument he sold me that according to him was defective. I expressed my disappointment that he did not mention Pono's warranty and I had to tell him to move forward with it. He didn't take any responsibility for that. He talked about his expensive guitars and how he doesn't check truss rods and a bunch of other nonsense instead of taking responsibility. He is condescending and seems to only care about what he can get out of a customer. The other instrument involved in this trade in was not purchased from him, but he said the bridge was coming off and would need to be replaced and he could do that for me. I just told him to send it back to me and so I lost money shipping it to him and paying to have it shipped back.
When I didn't know any better before this fiasco happened, I bought a ukulele from him and paid 35.00 for the basic setup. When I received the ukulele, the C string buzzed terribly. I tried multiple string changes and nothing fixed it. I had to use the Super glue method to raise the nut slot because it was extremely low. I have since had to put glue in a different nut slot after changing strings and I am a very light fingerstyle player. So I paid 35.00 for them to mess up my bone nut. They didn't take responsibility for that either. So I can't speak highly of his luthiers or him. There is more to this trade in situation that shows what kind of person Terry Carter is and I have all texts and emails saved. I hope no one else will go through what I went through. I don't care about his car salesman shtick, he can present himself however he wants, but I do care about how people are treated. I do care about community, taking responsibility when you make mistakes, and treating people with respect. I don't just see him as a person who has chosen a particular business model, I see him as a crook who only cares about making money. And check out his real-estate/life coach scheme if you want to see even more of his money talk and grifting. He boasts of his multiple 6 figure businesses. I feel like many of us have been trying to show the world what kind of person Terry Carter is so they won't be hurt by him for awhile now. I'm so glad he made a video to show a little bit of who he truly is. Of course he took it down, but he will crack again. It's only a matter of time.
Thanks for taking the time to write this to us. I think everyone that comes to UU has more savvy about this crook.

Nickie, this has gotten you pretty riled up! As one of mellowist (is that a word?) and kindest people on this forum, I'm a little bit surprised. As others have said, he's just a "huckster" that seems to be burning his business out with his own "narcissism", and I predict a "fall from grace"...
(Sorry, I play with a "contemporary Christian band"...)

Nickie, this has gotten you pretty riled up! As one of mellowest (is that a word?) and kindest people on this forum, I'm a little bit surprised. As others have said, he's just a "huckster" that seems to be burning his business out with his own "narcissism", and I predict a "fall from grace"...
(Sorry, I play with a "contemporary Christian band"...)
Yes, I lean toward the mellow side. But there are times to draw a line in the sand. I've taught almost 200 beginners to play ukulele in our club's (TBUS) library workshops, and have sadly seen more than a few of them ripped off purchasing ukuleles from guys like this. Some of them even give up on the instrument altogether, out of frustration.
And yes, it is a word. i corrected it for you, I'm the grammar police, ha ha. Thanks for the compliment.
Speaking of your "contemporary Christian band", our band does a montlhy Gospel music show at an ALF. We consist of a Taoist, a Quaker, a Sufi, a Unitarian, and an agnostic. I'm not telling which one I am. But it's a lot of fun!

...it's so much more than that. When I attempted to trade in two of my ukuleles to ULTP for a particular ukulele I wanted, it was a horrible experience. I told myself it was a bad idea to do a trade in, but I didn't listen to my instinct and I hadn't heard anything bad about ULTP at the time. Anyway, he held my instruments for a month with no response...
First of all, how you were treated is obviously ridiculous and shameful. Assuming of course, someone is capable of feeling ashamed.

But as further evidence in hope of recognizing the good guys, I recently worked a trade with TUS that resulted in great exchange in every aspect, and this was with an instrument that was not 100% mint. Joel was the one communicating with me, and he was very friendly and fair. As the TUS guys always are! I ended up very pleased and my former uke sold almost immediately so I assume they were happy as well.

Like I said, it's a pleasure to do business with good people.

for the last 25 years or so my wife and I have sat around the dining room table fantasizing about occupations. For the longest of times we wanted to be members of an entourage. More lately we have settled on being common sense consultants. We would be the filter for out of touch people before they post things. We would be there to say, "no, that's racist" or "no, that's sexist" or "no, this is 2022 and people don't say crap like that anymore." I don't know what to get a consulting firm up and running, but it sounds like our services are in dire need.
Yes. While it is called "common sense" it often seems to be rather uncommon.

Of course a person would have to WANT to change.

Just watched the Terry Carter apology video, thanks to jer's link. He seems very agitated while reciting it. Rocking to and fro like Stevie Wonder. IMO, it seemed insincere.

@ripock Maybe you can entice him with different levels of advice services. Just to demonstrate your levels of expertise.

TYPES OF Advice:
Advanced Advice ($9,500/per hour) -
Includes Everything in Basic & Intermediate (10-20 Business days to get service)

RUSH Advanced Advice ($16,500/per hour) -
Includes Everything in Basic & Intermediate (5-10 Business days to get service)

Intermediate Advice ($5,500/per hour)
- Some eye contact and acknowledgment of their existence (10-20 Business days to get service)

RUSH Intermediate Advice ($12,500/per hour)
- Some eye contact and acknowledgment of their existence (5-10 Business Days)

Basic Advice ($3,500/per hour) -
not much, maybe make some eye contact. (10-20 Business days to get service)

RUSH Basic Advice ($10,500/per hour) -
not much, maybe make some eye contact. (5-10 Business days to get service)

Last edited:
@ripock Maybe you can entice him with different levels of advice services. Just to demonstrate your levels of expertise.

TYPES OF Advice:
Advanced Advice ($9,500/per hour) -
Includes Everything in Basic & Intermediate (10-20 Business days to get service)

RUSH Advanced Setup ($16,500/per hour) -
Includes Everything in Basic & Intermediate (5-10 Business days to get service)

Intermediate Setup ($5,500/per hour)
- Some eye contact and acknowledgment of their existence (10-20 Business days to get service)

RUSH Intermediate Setup ($12,500/per hour)
- Some eye contact and acknowledgment of their existence (5-10 Business Days)

Basic Advice ($3,500/per hour) -
not much, maybe make some eye contact. (10-20 Business days to get service)

RUSH Basic Advice ($10,500/per hour) -
not much, maybe make some eye contact. (5-10 Business days to get service)
Hilarious!

Top Bottom