I don't think this is cool at all

You know, so many of the world's problems would go away if we were each gifted a good quality soprano ukulele at the age of 8 to 10 and taught some basic singing and strumming to get started on.
Agreed wholeheartedly. In the meantime, we can start small by trying to convert tenor players to sopranos.

You know, so many of the world's problems would go away if we were each gifted a good quality soprano ukulele at the age of 8 to 10 and taught some basic singing and strumming to get started on.

At my school, we are doing this!

We just threw out all of our aged violins, and we're getting enough ukuleles for each student in Fourth Grade! I managed to infect our music teacher, Mr Mark, with the ukulele bug last year when I bought him a nice (used) solid top Kala tenor... He is totally into it now and... well... already plays better than I do...

We will then keep pushing this instruction up a grade per year until we have all the students from 4-8 grades playing. My class already plays... I'm going to start them out this year with Turn the World Around by Harry Belafonte. Then, Mr Mark will teach them the drum rhythms and it's going to be awesome. I can't wait for our first all-school assembly!

We just threw out all of our aged violins, and we're getting enough ukuleles for each student in Fourth Grade! I managed to infect our music teacher, Mr Mark, with the ukulele bug last year when I bought him a nice (used) solid top Kala tenor... He is totally into it now and... well... already plays better than I do...

We will then keep pushing this instruction up a grade per year until we have all the students from 4-8 grades playing. My class already plays... I'm going to start them out this year with Turn the World Around by Harry Belafonte. Then, Mr Mark will teach them the drum rhythms and it's going to be awesome. I can't wait for our first all-school assembly!
YES!!!! This is awesome!! I especially love that they get to learn drum rhythms too, I think that's also something we should teach all the kids. You da best!

If there’s a heaven, there will be special places reserved there for you and Mr. Mark.

Agreed wholeheartedly. In the meantime, we can start small by trying to convert tenor players to sopranos.
This is so funny, because before I received the Famous FS-5, I had zero interest (generally) in sopranos, because all I'd been exposed to in person were basically toys. This little gem almost plays itself.
. . . and then sopranos to Baritone. 🥰
Waiting on my baritone... I'll get there :) In the meantime, my strings for my requinto have arrived, and I'll be starting that up soonish. Next... a banjo...

This is so funny, because before I received the Famous FS-5, I had zero interest (generally) in sopranos, because all I'd been exposed to in person were basically toys. This little gem almost plays itself.

Waiting on my baritone... I'll get there :) In the meantime, my strings for my requinto have arrived, and I'll be starting that up soonish. Next... a banjo...
I had the same realization after playing the FS-5 also.
It really opened my mind & ears to sopranos.

Makes sense, but that might be assuming that the ukes sold by #1 would otherwise go unsold...which for the high end/Ks I don't think would be the case. I think they sell everything they make and there is still demand. OTOH I see kala as being kinda screwed as they have a ultp signature model... seriously!
With ULTP re-branding It seems likely there will be Terry Carter Signature Guitar and Ukulele models .
Will be interesting to seen what he does .
For the ukulele , sub contract to Kala or produce himself ? Don't know about the guitars .

Oh I love this!!! I work at a school too and our woodshop teacher had our 4th graders build their own little box ukuleles for the first time last year. The kids loved it!

Kala having undercut reputable dealers with direct-to-consumer instruments (at lower prices than dealer tiers support), and deputizing a host of "influencers" as drop-ship Sellers (haven't checked, but likely with signature editions for these as well)...?
I recognize the challenges of retail in this current landscape, and the need for responsive business models (and outright Change), but my Kala sympathy bird flew right out the window a couple years back.
~ S.
I decided I'd never buy another Kala Ukulele after that. Walmart? Really?
Sheesh.

I decided I'd never buy another Kala Ukulele after that. Walmart? Really?
Sheesh.
Yup. After what happened with Mim, I look for ukes from different makers.

And with all this stuff with Terry, I look elsewhere for ukes in general.

With such a healthy supply of good, affordable ukes (in Kala’s case) and solid, reputable, nice dealers (in ULtP’s case), there’s really no need to give them money.

I'm not familiar with the situation about Kala.

I have no regrets buying all of my Kala baritone ukes. I'm a huge baritone fan and Kala really delivers with such a wide variety of them in different tonewood and string configurations. Can't imagine how small the baritone market would look without Kala. I adore their 8 string baritones.

But I get it. This forum is testament as to how certain dealers can SOUR us off of where/what we would otherwise love to buy without hesitation.

Last edited:
Could be...but the ad buyer writes that copy on the ad banner.
Haven't read through all the posts but having worked with a digital marketing firm, the copy could very well have been written by a marketing team. I don't see Terry being the guy to write his own adwords. But if he did, there are certain keywords that show up as top hits on Google keyword search and these keywords would be the best ones to use in ads. Anybody writing ad copy would use these.

I'm not familiar with the situation about Kala.

I have no regrets buying all of my Kala baritone ukes. I'm a huge baritone fan and Kala really delivers with such a wide variety of them in different tonewood and string configurations. Can't imagine how small the baritone market would look without Kala. I adore their 8 string baritones.

But I get it. This forum is testament as to how certain dealers can SOUR us off of where/what we would otherwise love to buy without hesitation.
I know the situation with Kala but I wouldn't argue against anyone who has or is going to buy a Kala uke. That's not for me or anyone else to decide. For me the most important thing is to inform other people of the actions of sellers/shops/what have you so they can make an informed purchase decision themselves. Same goes for ULTP as well. If after all this kerfuffle someone wants to buy a uke from them then who am I to judge. It's not my job to convince them otherwise.

Also important to inform others that better alternatives exist of course. :)

I know the situation with Kala but I wouldn't argue against anyone who has or is going to buy a Kala uke. That's not for me or anyone else to decide. For me the most important thing is to inform other people of the actions of sellers/shops/what have you so they can make an informed purchase decision themselves. Same goes for ULTP as well. If after all this kerfuffle someone wants to buy a uke from them then who am I to judge. It's not my job to convince them otherwise.

Also important to inform others that better alternatives exist of course. :)
The ukulele market is relatively unique due to its structure and size. After the large retailers (box stores and chains) that probably sell 95+% of the cheap ukuleles, there is a contraction of sellers that many repeat purchasers look to. No one should be surprised at the support that Mim has (and other sellers... not ULTP) and when she drops the Kala brand because of their policies that put her and other small sellers at an unnecessary disadvantage, she will have a good number of buyers sympathize and stand with her. Many are on this forum. But I suspect if I go to my ukulele club, almost no one will have any awareness of this.

Fortunately, both Mim and Kala seem to survive this well enough and the buyers have excellent alternatives should they choose to not purchase a Kala.

I'd buy Ohana over Kala anyway (necks are more comfortable imo) and Mim has plenty of those.
I have yet to see an Ohana baritone with a truss rod like the Kalas. Some of the ones I've seen in videos appear to have very dry looking fretboards - grey looking dark wood. (Perhaps just a "batch" that came like this).

The baritones I've seen also have smaller sound holes than the Kalas. Not saying this is "wrong". But I've read from some that say their Ohanas don't sound as loud as their other ukes. Not sure if this contributes to this.

But yes, many adore their Ohanas and I agree that the fatness and shape of the neck is critical depending on your personal preference. I heard Ponos necks are sort of egg shaped. (I remember I could never get used to the fat neck of a Gibson guitar).

Last edited:
Top Bottom