I feel like a !#%&@$^*?

MisoHappy

Reaction score
Our school had this Spring Dance thing (not quite a dance, a bunch of rap and line dances) today, and I realized that everyone knew every lyric to every song there, except me. I knew all of the line dances, but I knew the chorus to only one song. So I'm standing there looking like an idiot, while everyone else is singing and doing their two-step! Is this good, or am I a weirdo?

Is this good, or am I a weirdo?

What I think is weird is having rap and line dancing at the same place! lol Are you talking country line dancing???

And no, it doesn't make you weird. It makes you your own person. You don't have to change who you are just to fit in. There's a word for people that conform because they don't know any better - sheeple. ;-)

At my Senior prom, the DJ played a Grease medley. I was the only one who didn't know all the words. Even the GUYS were singing along. I felt a little like Lois at the Kiss concert when she didn't know the lyrics to "rock n roll all night." So I totally know how you feel. And no, you're not weird. You're independent! And that's way cooler.

Sounds like you have taste to me. Be proud that you march to a different ukulele!

:smileybounce:

its all good - cause i doubt *everyone* there knew all the words. and like the other person said - its cause you are your own person.

i think the only rap song i knew all the words to was "this is why i'm hot" and that's because those are pretty much the ONLY words in the song, hahahaha.
oh pop culture...

i can't believe i'm venting to people who play an instrument so marginalized, but it's frustrating people knock rap so much when all they've heard is corporate pushed music. maybe if you folks opened your minds a little, you'll find some pretty good stuff out there, that you guys won't be so hesitant to like. it's the whole guitar/`ukulele argument...

ugggh.

Rap line dancing......okay. Not fond of either, but then I'm :eek:ld:

Hey Miso, I'm okay, you're okay. Don't sweat the small stuff.....and remember, it's all small stuff.

but it's frustrating people knock rap so much when all they've heard is corporate pushed music. maybe if you folks opened your minds a little, you'll find some pretty good stuff out there, that you guys won't be so hesitant to like.

this is true - sometimes i get bored with standing up for it when a lot of people just say "they aren't even singing!!"
rap is such a cool genre - there is a lot of good stuff out there. what they play at high school dances isn't exactly the cream of the crop but there are some pretty darned ingenious hip hoppers in existence.

i can't believe i'm venting to people who play an instrument so marginalized, but it's frustrating people knock rap so much when all they've heard is corporate pushed music. maybe if you folks opened your minds a little, you'll find some pretty good stuff out there, that you guys won't be so hesitant to like. it's the whole guitar/`ukulele argument..
Funny, I thought that in order to play an instrument "so marginalized," especially the way most people here do, you have to open your mind a little.

And FWIW, despite being a 47-year-old white guy, there's a lot of rap I do like (especially if it pays homage to old school).

Last edited:
What I think is weird is having rap and line dancing at the same place! lol Are you talking country line dancing???

And no, it doesn't make you weird. It makes you your own person. You don't have to change who you are just to fit in. There's a word for people that conform because they don't know any better - sheeple. ;-)

Haha, no not country line dancing. More like two step and such. (Which I can't even figure out how to do!)

Yeah it kinda sucks when people laugh at me cuz I only listen to reggae and rock, and everyone else is listening to songs like Swing and Heartless....
It's intimidating

At my Senior prom, the DJ played a Grease medley. I was the only one who didn't know all the words. Even the GUYS were singing along. I felt a little like Lois at the Kiss concert when she didn't know the lyrics to "rock n roll all night." So I totally know how you feel. And no, you're not weird. You're independent! And that's way cooler.

Haha, it was totally opposite. whenever a song like "beautiful girls" came on, the guys would all rush off for a water break.
And I wish kids at my school were like you people. They don't even understand why I don't swear in every sentence like them >.< It's revolting (I don't swear, period)

i can't believe i'm venting to people who play an instrument so marginalized, but it's frustrating people knock rap so much when all they've heard is corporate pushed music. maybe if you folks opened your minds a little, you'll find some pretty good stuff out there, that you guys won't be so hesitant to like. it's the whole guitar/`ukulele argument...

ugggh.

Don't make assumptions - I happen to listen to, and like, all sorts of music. I favor electronic genres but I also like country, classical, ethnic music, power pop - a lot of genres that aren't mainstream. I don't know about where you live but over here almost every radio station plays rap and hip-hip. So who is the one being pushed to the mainstream, hmm? ;-) Especially compared to how many people listen to uke music.

Now I'm not saying rap is bad. It definitely take mad skillz and I am amazed with the people that can rhyme on the fly. But it's a personal choice - it's not for me. I don't want to listen to so many words - I want to FEEL more music. I don't put-down anyone that likes it. I'm just saying if it's not what you like, don't feel forced to like it just because everyone around you does.

Last edited:
Funny, I thought that in order to play an instrument "so marginalized," especially they way most people here do, you have to open your mind a little.

And FWIW, despite being a 47-year-old white guy, there's a lot of rap I do like (especially if it pays homage to old school).

you do, but don't close it to other types of MUSIC as well. rap is music, some of it really good, a lot of it really bad, but questioning its validity as music is downright insulting. sorry, if it seems like I'm castigating the whole website, but there is a strong willed group here that continually knock rap here like shooting fish in a barrell.

i look at it like this: on a recent topic on the , someone lamented how a music store employee knocked him for wanting an `ukulele. All rebuttals here said the same thing: go an play her this and that. Tell her about Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson, etc. Well, in return, I'll throw out for folks to listen to Project Blowed, the Grouch, the Coup, etc. You might not find it easily, but it's worth it. And if you like Old School, try and find the first Jurassic 5 album (before they signed to a major and had to lose all the cool samples lol). maybe I come off a little heated, but I actually say the same thing on a hiphop board that knocks mainstream rap (go figure). There's good music in all genres you just have to go find it.

I try not to be a hater.

And if you like Old School, try and find the first Jurassic 5 album (before they signed to a major and had to lose all the cool samples lol).
1998?! I hope you're talking about J5 paying homage to real old school...I'm talking about the late '70s through the '80s.

There's good music in all genres you just have to go find it.

At the risk of derailing the thread even further, I just want to say that hip hop has been a huge part of my life since I was a little kid. I love hip hop, and I always will.

I've listened to The Coup and J5, I think they're some of the best out there. Especially "Wear Clean Draws," from The Coup. Have you heard that one? That first EP from J5 is so classic, I love it.

Just in case people are looking in this thread for suggestions on what to listen to in the realm of hip hop, let me throw some names out:

Blackalicious - "Nia"
Cee-Lo - "Cee-Lo Green Is The Soul Machine"
Dead Prez - "Let's Get Free"
Freestyle Fellowship - "Inner City Griots"
Mr Lif - "I Phantom"
Rhymefest - "Blue Collar"
Sage Francis - "Personal Journals"

Take a listen to any of this stuff, and if you're still dismissing rap as a whole, then I can't do anything for you.

you do, but don't close it to other types of MUSIC as well. rap is music, some of it really good, a lot of it really bad, but questioning its validity as music is downright insulting. sorry, if it seems like I'm castigating the whole website, but there is a strong willed group here that continually knock rap here like shooting fish in a barrell.

i look at it like this: on a recent topic on the , someone lamented how a music store employee knocked him for wanting an `ukulele. All rebuttals here said the same thing: go an play her this and that. Tell her about Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson, etc. Well, in return, I'll throw out for folks to listen to Project Blowed, the Grouch, the Coup, etc. You might not find it easily, but it's worth it. And if you like Old School, try and find the first Jurassic 5 album (before they signed to a major and had to lose all the cool samples lol). maybe I come off a little heated, but I actually say the same thing on a hiphop board that knocks mainstream rap (go figure). There's good music in all genres you just have to go find it.

I try not to be a hater.

two really great videos IMO are:

this
and
that

but there are way more good rappers out there

And why is that?

I have this odd craving to listen to rap now, unfortunately....idk why...

Well,in alot of rap,there isn't anybody playing any instruments,and it's spoken not sung.More like a poetry style than music in my opinion.And it is, of course,just my opinion.

Top Bottom