I have my eyes on an 8-stringed ukulele

Says the guy who apparently has never owned an 8 string ukulele. It's a common problem with the high C string.
Actually, I own an MP (Mike Pereira) Spruce/Mrytle 8-String that has a set of 8-String Living Waters strings on it. I've never had a problem with the high-C string shearing. I don't play it a lot compared to my 4-string tenors, but it does get played.

It could be that the break angle for the strings from the holes in my bridge to the saddle are not as large as that on your tenor. And that alleviates the problem. Or that the Living Waters have a different shear strength than the strings that come with the Aklot. So changing the string brand, if and when the C-string breaks, might be a solution as well.

Quite often the stock strings that come with an instrument are not the best and an aftermarket string might work better.

It was nice of you to let Voran know of the problem you experienced with yours. And you offered her a solution.

I know I was not aware that high-C string shearing is a common problem with 8-string Tenors. I thank you for that information. I will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Last edited:
I'm with Kenn. I'd watch for any issue, then investigate and polish rather than file a saddle . I'd suspect the holes in the bridge itself before I'd blame the saddle. Or perhaps it's the break angle from the bridge to saddle. Or the stock strings.

Save using a file for your nut if you need to adjust one on a uke. But I'd guess Voran is absent any nut problems. ;)

It is nice that somebody who owns one of these chimed in to make an alert to watch for issues and suggestions for restringing with individual beads. I am sure Voran will enjoy her new 8 stringer when it arrives.

Or, you can buy different strings.

Congrats on the new 8-string. It will expand your soundscape explorations.

I wouldn't file it if there is a burr or sharp edge. Use a piece of brown paper bag (like a grocery bag) and rub the area. The brown paper has a lot of very fine particles in it from the wood. It will buff out the edge or the burr just enough without modifying the shape. I've done this on two different nut slots that had a burr or rough edge that was fraying the string. A few swipes with a folded piece of bag and voila! No more burr.
Eyes on it? 😁

Snowman Eyes.jpg

Update: I can't have my instrument because Aklot made a screw up at the warehouse and now that uke is out of stock.

So peed off.

This community truly is an enabler. Today, I ordered an 8 string myself. Significantly more expensive than the Aklot mentioned in the thread. I mean it's not that I needed it but... how can I resist when there's all this talk about 8 strings. God damn it all of you... :D

LMAO, same, but I legitimately use those ukes and don't just hoard them. I have different repertoire for a ton of different tunings.

Well that sucks. They didn't offer any deals to make it up to you?
They offered me something else but given how incompetent they've been so far I didn't trust them to actually sell me an existing instrument. I worried I'd just go through the same loop of buying an instrument and then being told it didn't exist.

I'm gonna try again at finding an Aklot 8-stringer but thanks.

I admit I'm being a bit irrational here, but the raven imagery means a lot to me. My name means raven in most Slavic languages.

I also had a pair of actual wild ravens I fed and bonded with for years. They took off when COVID happened; sensible move, it IS zoonotic. They still come say hello now and then.

They also have an eerie ability to sense when I'm tired, sick, injured, pissed off or otherwise could use a little TLC. Somehow when I'm struggling emotionally, overtired or having a little vertigo, I hear wingbeats and a soft oooooooooo sound that the male uses as his 'incoming' sign.

I miss my babies, but I am also glad I no longer have to worry that some bratty kid will throw rocks at them.

Top Bottom