I put a low G string on my Kala Tenor

JMort847

Strummin' my four string
UU VIP
With two sopranos, I decided to change my Kala tenor to low G, using a Aquila wound string. What a difference! Definitely a "guitar sound," which I like more than I thought I would.

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Welcome to the dark side!

–Lori

strumsilly

you get used to the sound and then high g sounds funny. slippery slope

LarryS

Hmmm on my tanglewood concert...interesting

Fleacia

you get used to the sound and then high g sounds funny. slippery slope

That's what happened to me. I now have a Kala long neck soprano that's reentrant, it's in Bb at the moment. I like the reentrant sound to listen to, but maybe not when I'm the one playing. :eek:

mmfitzsimons

Fun! My favorite part of low G is how my thumb and that G string can partner up while strumming—it's the next best thing to a having bass player. ;)

plunker

Yes join us. You'll find picking more fun, I guarantee it.

sculptor

With two sopranos, I decided to change my Kala tenor to low G, using a Aquila wound string. What a difference! Definitely a "guitar sound," which I like more than I thought I would.

I started out with a low-G (a Pono MT) and guess I've got to get around to trying a high-G someday.... :shaka:

Croaky Keith

Low G on my Makala MK-T tenor, Kala KA-CEME electro acoustic concert, Kala KA-SLNG long neck soprano, & just tried it on my Kala KA-S soprano. :)
(I have re entrant concert & soprano ukes as well.)

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
I have a set of mellow low g's with wound 3 and 4 on my Kala solid mahogany tenor...my "blues uke." Love it. Would never go back on this one. Trying to pick one of my concerts to set up with low g's.

bariukish

UU VIP
UU VIP
I too love the low resonant sound of the low g on my tenor. With the popularity it has, I can't understand why there are not a lot more instruction publications out there for linear low g tuning.

TheCraftedCow

Why is this not considered as a valid reason to have THREE of the same thing ? low 4th string -- high 4th string -- and the really, really surprising (thanks to Dirk at Southcoast strings) low 4th string on 4 AND 1 pulled up a whole tone.
dGBe or gCEa. Instead of 0001 as the 7th, try 3433

JMort847

Strummin' my four string
UU VIP
With my three ukes, I definitely have a nice, full range of sound now!

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
I like re-entrant tuning for strumming or playing campanella style, and linear tuning for finger-picking or chord melody stuff. It all depends on what I'm playing, which is why I need an unlimited number of ukuleles! :cool:

krush050

I'm getting the new spruce scalloped kala tenor and i'm going crazy trying to figure out what low g set to go with on the uke. I want to get it ordered but people keep telling em to go with something different lol.....any suggestions so i can confuse myself even more? lol
here is a picyure of the uke!
uke.jpg

Camsuke

Congratulations on the new uke Krush, there are many strings that would sound great, Oasis Warm Low G may be worth a try.

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
I have a mellow string set with a wound low g and C strings on my Kala solid mahogany tenor. About as much like a guitar as a tenor uke is likely to get.....which is fine because it's my surrogate jazz and blues "guitar." I think ukes should sound any way you want them to.