Idea for Uke Fests

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I attend uke fests within five hours drive time from my house. With Covid, many events have been online, although some are being held in person now. How about a combination?

There would be one price for attending in person, and another for attending online. The workshops and concerts would be recorded and posted online later. The online version wouldn't have to be at the same time as the live event, so it would be simpler than a regular virtual event. I'm never going to attend an event in FL, CA, or HI, but virtual wouldn't be a problem.

I'm just not into this idea of "attending" an event online. Online you don't get to hear and see everyone else, just the presenter who is running the show. At least that's how it is with the Austin Ukulele Society virtual meetings. I don't get much out of that. After such an event, I don't feel as if I "attended" anything.

I'm just not into this idea of "attending" an event online. Online you don't get to hear and see everyone else, just the presenter who is running the show. At least that's how it is with the Austin Ukulele Society virtual meetings. I don't get much out of that. After such an event, I don't feel as if I "attended" anything.

Yes, I agree, but if the event is being held thousands of miles away...

for me, the festival is 110% about socializing. The seminars are pretty much worthless to me as a musician (I'm not saying the presenters are bad; I'm just saying they aren't addressing my issues in my musical life). The festival is just a pretext to meet other people who like the uke and pick their brains and riff off their enthusiasm. If I don't have that, I have nothing. So I would never do some zoomy thing. So I would rather stay home and pay nothing and get nothing, rather than pay money to get nothing.

I'm pretty sociable and being around people is a big part of the experience. My wife however is more to the point. She isn't there to socialize. She recently attended an international three days fashion sewing seminar online and she got a lot out of it. She loved it and would do it again. She, and about three thousand other like minded individuals in Europe and North America. She attended a presentation by some lady in Great Britain at one thirty in the morning just because she wanted to ask questions. Not really my thing, but that doesn't mean you can't be successful with it.

By the way, I think that an open mic event would be fun.

Another by the way, my wife got on some chat rooms after some of the presentations and met a number of people that she has been communicating with since the seminar. Just saying.

Last edited:
riprock, I feel exactly the same way. I never use any of the techniques I've learned in the workshops. I go for the social camaraderie of it. I hope I get to see Mim and Stu Fuchs at TBUG this year. I'm only attending the Saturday might concert as a former board member/guest. None of my band members go any more.

I have grown weary of Zoom. Haven’t attended any of my groups in a year. And one started up in person for three weeks and slammed closed. I am tired of zoom.

I will join Cynthia Lin and Ukulene when they have their strum alongs, but I used to drive a couple miles to do so in person before Cynthia moved and when Lenny was gathering at the local swap meets and such.

Covid has changed a lot of things across the board on many fronts. Even my doctor's office now uses a private website to send me messages for appointments and referrals. As for the uke, I prefer to go to events "in person" and socialize and have a few beers. Though, most events are always quite far away. Can't cross into the US right now from Canada. I agree that online workshops aren't the greatest for learning, but aren't YouTube tutorials the same thing?

Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel are doing a good job. I like the idea of a virtual option but it should be at a reduced cost.

Petey

Last edited:
for me, the festival is 110% about socializing. The seminars are pretty much worthless to me as a musician

I don't attend to become a great player. I've always looked on the workshops more as entertainment than education. I always pick up a few ideas, but they aren't life-changing.

Top Bottom