If you were taking a dream vacation to Hawaii...

Ziret

BIG IN JAPAN is an old joke meaning if you haven't made it elsewhere...... you tell everyone you're BIG IN JAPAN. lol

Though, one UU member told me a few years back that longneck sopranos were big in Japan. No idea who that person was but I liked their style.

I have no clue about the Easy Music Center. I need to Google it.

You're totally right about KoAloha. B-stock yes. I still have their fridge magnet.

LOL.. you and I could be friends and have drinks.... no Mai Tais. lol
I think it’s from the Tom Waits song, Big In Japan, though the saying could have preceded the song, I heard it first from Tom in 1999. Good song.

merlin666

I think it’s from the Tom Waits song, Big In Japan, though the saying could have preceded the song, I heard it first from Tom in 1999. Good song.
Big in Japan were a punk band that emerged from Liverpool, England in the late 1970s. They are better known for the later successes of their band members than for their own music. This band inspired the name of a hit song of German group Alphaville in the early 80s, that's where I heard the term first.

Ziret

Big in Japan were a punk band that emerged from Liverpool, England in the late 1970s. They are better known for the later successes of their band members than for their own music. This band inspired the name of a hit song of German group Alphaville in the early 80s, that's where I heard the term first.
Thanks! I wonder how far back this can be pushed?

William Shakespeare to Christopher Marlowe, “Despair not dear Kit, I hear thou art big in Japan.”

OpihiMan

"Best Ukulele" in the Ohana Marketplace on Ward Ave. is another smaller store. They're also at the Aloha Stadium swap meet on the weekends. They carry the Big 3 K brands, Rebel, Kala, Ohana and a few more.

man0a

"Best Ukulele" in the Ohana Marketplace on Ward Ave. is another smaller store. They're also at the Aloha Stadium swap meet on the weekends. They carry the Big 3 K brands, Rebel, Kala, Ohana and a few more.
Ohana Hale Marketplace on Ward Ave closed last month. The landlord is going to build condos at that location. I heard that the marketplace was looking for a new location, but I have not heard anything specific.

DJ Mango

Ohana Hale Marketplace on Ward Ave closed last month. The landlord is going to build condos at that location. I heard that the marketplace was looking for a new location, but I have not heard anything specific.
Best Ukulele's new location is :

358 Royal Hawaiian Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815

PeteyHoudini

Hi uke friends. I have no clue where the expression BIG IN JAPAN came from. I know DEEP PURPLE did an album MADE IN JAPAN in 1972. When was Tom Waites?

Last edited:

DJ Mango

BIG IN JAPAN is an old joke meaning if you haven't made it elsewhere...... you tell everyone you're BIG IN JAPAN. lol

Though, one UU member told me a few years back that longneck sopranos were big in Japan. No idea who that person was but I liked their style.

I have no clue about the Easy Music Center. I need to Google it.

You're totally right about KoAloha. B-stock yes. I still have their fridge magnet.

LOL.. you and I could be friends and have drinks.... no Mai Tais. lol
Sekiguchi-san whose BIG IN JAPAN playing a long neck soprano at time stamp 18:49

badhabits

Big in Japan is like 5'9", right? Lol, don't worry I can say that. 😉