In Praise of Cheap Ukes

pdxuke

We already know that Deach loves his $99 uke.

And I've said ad nauseum how much I ADORE MY DOLPHIN(S).

I also play the bejesus out of my Kala watermelon.

Both of these, under 100 clams.

So. Who has got a favorite cheap uke? Ground rules: under 100 smackers, not including shipping.

At the end, I'll put together the whole list.

kenikas

I love my Makala tenor, and I play my grandkids Makala Dolphins quite a bit too. Now I'm not quite as excited about my Hilo baritone, but as soon as I get around to putting the Aquila's I bought for it on that may change.

Doug W

I have a Harmony that my wife found at a rummage sale 10 years ago and picked up for $3.00. It is one of those plastic fingerboard Harmony ukes from the 50s. Currently it is out of commission until I fix the bridge but I used to pick it up and play it fairly often. Not incredible in the tone department but it does play in tune.

harmony-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Toucan Mango

Kala $79.00 Pineapple owner here, I said it before, it gets played the most.

gp-ak

Old Gretsch soprano, 60 bucks!

Attachments

• smallgretsch.jpg
    smallgretsch.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 83

carpekd

Well, I don't have it anymore, but I learned on a $12 souvenir uke!

kalmario

picked up a makala dolphin as a christmas present. threw on some kala reds and thats some cheap uking. my question is why is there no makala dolphin club to join, this is a grave injustice!!

Sic_Rob

I bought my Lanikai LU-21 Soprano Ukulele off Amazon in October for $59, on sale. It came with Aquila's and once they strectched I was able to spend more time playing then tuning. It sounds pretty darn good too for that price.

Ahnko Honu

My first pineapple from over 12 years ago a Mahalo U-320P Mahogany laminate here pictured between her sister my R&L Koa, and Waverly Street #51.
P1010168-1.jpg

pdxuke

picked up a makala dolphin as a christmas present. threw on some kala reds and thats some cheap uking. my question is why is there no makala dolphin club to join, this is a grave injustice!!

I hereby start a Makala Dolphin Club. You and I are the first members!
pink.jpg

phanzo

Lanikai Pineapple LU-21. Although it doesnt get played much anymore, it's what got me into this whole thing. And it looks perdy, hangin up on my wall.

I'll be gettin 3 Dolphins at some point this year. I have 2 baby nieces that will need to start playing and I (of course) have to have one for myself. I need something to do while driving and I just dont like taking my Mainlands out around the town.

With that being said, if my Lanikai had been set-up by MGM, I might actually play it nowadays. Instead, my brother got it for me as a bday present a few years back, from some shop in Hawaii. The action is pretty terrible, so I assume it just came out of the box and on to the shelf. :( I wish it sounded better, I like that little thing. (It doesn't even sound good enough to be my "car uke")

Ronnie Aloha

Mahalo Sen. Dan, R.I.P.
UU VIP
100_6789.jpg

Leolani tenor, all Mahogany laminate, Rosewood fretboard, plastic(?) binding on body and fretboard with some darker woodlike purfling around body. Same plastic and pufling material around sound hole I picked it up last week at Sam's Club in Hawaii. $100 bucks with a Lanikai style case, cheap clip on tuner and an extra set up Aquila strings.

micromue

8 Years ago I bought a Brueko No. 6 for about 100$. I still love its pluncky sound and play it a lot.

SamWise

I have a Kala Watermelon that I won in Deach's MmmBop contest. Aside from being a proud trophy, it's my go-anywhere uke. I mean, I have good cases for my better ukes, so I don't mind taking them on the road, but if I'm going camping, or to the beach, it's the Watermelon. It's also the uke that lives on the sofa/floor, which my 2 year old son will strum, which my wife has learned a few chord on, visitors plunk on, and I pick up and play when I'm passing, so it gets a lot of use. I've made videos with it too. It's not my favourite uke, but I like it a lot, and I'm glad to have it.

kissing

Im quite fond of my Mahalo Les paul Soprano with electric pickup.
Well under $100 :D

deach

We already know that Deach loves his $99 uke.
That uke is hand painted and I bought it for $99. The uke itself probably cost $40.

I also had a pineapple Kala uke that I loved.

Nothing wrong with cheapies.

Pukulele Pete

I love my vintage Martin style 1 that I bought from Ebay for 66 bucks. It had a bunch of cracks, a hole, was missing the nut ,and someone painted desiigns all over.
It's all fixed and sounds nice.

UKISOCIETY

3593133788_d7a7a1aee2_b.jpg

I love my Makala Dolphin - I take it everywhere. But my faves for under 100, and usually under $50, are my T.V. Pal pals! :)

heyjude

Mine would be an Ohana SK35G that I bought on ebay for $51.00 with a small 3" long stable crack in the top.

Jude