Increased Shipping Costs

Jerryc41

From Oct 3 - Dec 26, the Post Office is raising shipping costs and slowing service. They call it a holiday surcharge. This could hurt private sales of ukes, since pricing is based on size, weight, and distance. I wish I had heard about this weeks ago.

PeteyHoudini

Yeah, I read about that yesterday on my splash page in Firefox.

ksiegel

I really AM a Secretary!
UU VIP
This could go political real fast - it is very interesting that the Postmaster General's plans to save money have ended up costing more than was saved... and we end up getting the mail later, for more money.

Whee!

Wukulele

Q&A on USA Today https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...er-what-does-mean-holiday-shipping/5936155001

“The changes involve longer service times for First Class Mail and Periodicals, and a temporary price increase related to the holidays.
“On Friday, mail traveling long distances, such as as from New York to California, will take longer in-transit. Separately, on Oct. 3 the Postal Service will temporarily increase prices on all commercial and retail domestic packages.”

”Customers can still opt to use Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail to ship packages within the contiguous U.S. Both options are delivered within 1-3 days.”

Other than strings, I have never sent packages via first class, almost always Flat Rate Priority mail (but most ukes cannot be shipped that way).

Have thought about opening a big brown UPS acct, or FedEx, or DHL for international.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
All of the shipping companies are going to have problems this year. Logistics will be a nightmare. None of them are guaranteeing their delivery days and times.

Regardless of politics, there are too many conflicts of interest in the leadership of the USPS. What is being done will drive customers to other services.

The same things are happening to the goods being delivered to the retailers. Both online and brick and mortar. Order now if you want something for the holidays.

rainbow21

I am very leery about sending ukuleles via USPS anymore. One that was sent within CA (2-3 days) took 12 days! I also sent a local package (about five miles, but I needed the documentation) took over a week as they must be set aside and get lost for a while.

My best results have been FedEx via Shipbikes, which I learned about on this forum.

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
I am very leery about sending ukuleles via USPS anymore. One that was sent within CA (2-3 days) took 12 days! I also sent a local package (about five miles, but I needed the documentation) took over a week as they must be set aside and get lost for a while.

My best results have been FedEx via Shipbikes, which I learned about on this forum.
Interesting; I've never had any issues with USPS. FedEx has been the worst for me as a receiver. I've never shipped with them because of all the issues I've had receiving.

FedEx will give me a delivery date, and then the day before or the day of, it'll change to "delivery pending" with no updates or reasons why. The package will randomly get delivered; sometimes the next day, sometimes three days later. Their tracking system will also go down with no explanation. They've delivered packages to the wrong house and then when you contact them to say a package wasn't delivered, they tell you "wait a few days and see if it turns up." They've also given a "delivery attempted" message when they most certainly did not attempt delivery.

ksiegel

I really AM a Secretary!
UU VIP
My experience with almost anything sent via FedEx Ground or FedEx Surepost (Last Mile" delivery by USPS) is that I'm better off taking the cash I planned on spending, and burn it.

Still waiting for $250 worth of textbooks that were shipped from Cedar Rapids, Iowa in February. FedEx no longer even shows the item, and luckily the publisher made good on it - sent the books USPS Priority, and I got them 2 days later.

I will continue to use USPS for the time being (I have a brother who is a Postal Inspector - I need to support him).

-Kurt

PeteyHoudini

USPS has always been pretty good to me from the US to Ottawa, Canada. I mainly buy used sheet music books from Abebooks/BetterWorldBooks/ThriftBooks from the US so they use USPS but some charge a lot for shipping. It could end up costing more for the next few months. I recently bought a used jazz sheet music collection book from California and they didn't use USPS but DHL. That surprised me. I opened up my apartment to leave to get a bottle and there it was on my doorstep. haha

clear

Not surprised that they are raising prices. It's been a long while since they last raised the price of first class stamps. In fact, I remember a few years ago, they actually decreased its price.

What is/was/and always will be surprising to me is how I can buy a couple of little capacitors on Aliexpress that costed the price of a first class stamp here and have that thing delivered to me all the way from China. Amazing!

rafter

Not surprised that they are raising prices. It's been a long while since they last raised the price of first class stamps. In fact, I remember a few years ago, they actually decreased its price.

What is/was/and always will be surprising to me is how I can buy a couple of little capacitors on Aliexpress that costed the price of a first class stamp here and have that thing delivered to me all the way from China. Amazing!

I don't know how much capacitors typically go for. I'm sure getting them direct from China cuts out a sizable chunk of the cost. But as far as postage is concerned, the U.S. has long subsidized shipping from China, which is why you could find so many things shipped for so cheap from China to the States. I think in 2018-19 the U.S. moved towards ending these subsidies, but I'm not sure what came of that.

Wukulele

USPS has always been pretty good to me from the US to Ottawa, Canada. I mainly buy used sheet music books from Abebooks/BetterWorldBooks/ThriftBooks from the US so they use USPS but some charge a lot for shipping. It could end up costing more for the next few months. I recently bought a used jazz sheet music collection book from California and they didn't use USPS but DHL. That surprised me. I opened up my apartment to leave to get a bottle and there it was on my doorstep. haha
It’s a bummer/seems dumb that USPS media mail rates exclude Canada, Mexico.