Installing strap button on the side of the heel

Joe Strummer

Reaction score
Do you have any tricks for drilling a pilot hole perfectly perpendicular to the surface? The heel is usually angled in 2 different dimensions. The best thing I have come up with is to draw intersecting lines on blue tape to show the direction of the angles. Then, I try to line up the drill bit with the lines by eye. I rarely get it perfect, so the button compresses one side of the felt washer more.

Is there a jig that would help?

....The heel is usually angled in 2 different dimensions. ...Then, I try to line up the drill bit with the lines by eye...

Is there a jig that would help?
Practice on a piece of scrap wood. Like ukecaster said, try to find the "flattest" part as that is the easiest to drill straight into.

For this example, I positioned a strap to be where I would want it, then moved the strap's hole around to find the best placement on the curve of the wood and made a pilot dent. I stepped back and held the bare 1/16" pilot bit to the angle it should go in.

Then, I put it in a drill and hoped for the best.

Please post a closeup picture of the neck heel you want to put the button on.

(This is a GT Banjola.)

Attachments

• Button Angle.JPG
    Button Angle.JPG
    701.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Button Staight In.JPG
    Button Staight In.JPG
    715.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
It’s easier to install the strap button on the upper body an inch or so from the neck. Glue a small block of wood inside to thicken that area. Cheers.

As a person who has built a s------ of ukuleles, I still hate doing strap buttons. I actually have nightmares of drilling through the neck volute or worse, drilling the hole on the wrong side. I've never screwed one up yet but there is always the possibility... Just paly without a strap please.

... I still hate doing strap buttons. I actually have nightmares of... drilling the hole on the wrong side...
If a ukulele comes with a heel button I immediately remove it as it gets in the way of my fretting hand.
However, I do have a bout button on every one of my ukuleles to use with a headstock-attached strap.

The above example of how to position a neck button was necessary due to the size, balance, and shape of the Banjola.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I can play without a strap, but the ergonomics are so much better with one. I have some recurring issues with tendonitis that make it important to get an effortless playing position.

I put a piece of tape and mark the location. Then check and recheck that I have it in the right side of the neck. I take a dowel that is square on the end about 4 inches long. Place it where the button is going to go. That shows me the drill angle. I tape off the drill bit for depth so I don't deeper than I want.

I’ve tried with & without a strap and, for me, the strap makes a tremendous difference. Like Wiggy, however, a button anywhere near the neck joint is in the way. I solved this by using a shoelace strap. I first routed one end under the strings on the tuner side of the nut and tied slip knot, then looped the other around the heel button. It works great and cost almost nothing since I had the brown shoelaces already on hand. I originally got it too long and it was easy to adjust.

I’ve tried with & without a strap and, for me, the strap makes a tremendous difference. Like Wiggy, however, a button anywhere near the neck joint is in the way. I solved this by using a shoelace strap. I first routed one end under the strings on the tuner side of the nut and tied slip knot, then looped the other around the heel button. It works great and cost almost nothing since I had the brown shoelaces already on hand. I originally got it too long and it was easy to adjust.
Strap buttons on the heel don't seem to get in my way. (Maybe I just don't play that far up the neck)
I am a Strap lover.... even on my Sopranos. I find it difficult to hold the Uke and get proper finger placement, the strap solves the issue. Careful measuring, depth control on the drill bit and checking twice has kept me from having issues when installing Strap buttons.

As a person who has built a s------ of ukuleles, I still hate doing strap buttons. I actually have nightmares of drilling through the neck volute or worse, drilling the hole on the wrong side. I've never screwed one up yet but there is always the possibility... Just paly without a strap please.
I hear you! Check, recheck and check again for the correct side of the volute and angle of the drill.

I keep a strap button on the bottom and just use a tie at the headstock.
I have a slotted head stock though.

Straps and electronics make sense to singer-songwriters who want to stand at a microphone or anyone who wants to move on stage and still be heard. My cheaper ukes I might try to put strap buttons on the bottom and neck volute but I'd be nervous with drilling into the neck on good ones and probably have a luthier do it.

I was given a uke with a button on the neck. Hate it. Can i just unscrew it, or what then Fill it? With what? Or will it damage it to remove?

I'm a great believer in jigs... though I can satisfactorily drill a heel to install a strap button by hand/eyeball. HOWEVER, thinking about this, if I wanted some 'assist'- I would probably take a square block of wood- say, 3/4" square or just a touch bigger- and about 1" long- and drill a hole through the center of it on a drill press- to make sure it was perpendicular to the block/flat face of the block. Then you could hold this against the heel- where you wanted the hole- and though it would not sit flat, you could pretty well rock it around to determine where it'd be perpendicular to the surface- and use that as a drill guide.

I was given a uke with a button on the neck. Hate it. Can i just unscrew it, or what then Fill it? With what? Or will it damage it to remove?
Sure, most common buttons are screwed in. Just unscrew. You will have a hole, but so what. If it was put in as a single piece dowel, well that is different kettle of stinking fish.

Yes, remove the screw. If you can't live with the hole, take the screw to a hardware store and ask for a shorter one. You want one the length of your screw, minus the height of the strap button. Now fill the hole with the shorter screw. Keep the original screw and button for the next happy owner, if any.

Sure, most common buttons are screwed in. Just unscrew. You will have a hole, but so what. If it was put in as a single piece dowel, well that is different kettle of stinking fish.
thank you

My reso-uke has a pointed heel with the strap button on the treble side. My re-entrant uke has a round heel with the strap button centred. My linear uke has a flat heel with the strapbutton centred.
heel buttons.jpg

Top Bottom