Interesting Article about Great Store Closing

Sounds like a great place. Too bad it's closing, but I wish the owner well for his retirement.
I wonder what will happen to everything that is still in stock when the store closes?

Interesting connection with Danny Kaye.

Just the thought of visiting a music store that sells over 200 ukuleles sort of blows my mind...

This is really sad. Soon there will be no brick and mortar music stores left.

This is really sad. Soon there will be no brick and mortar music stores left.
When we closed down our shop a few years back we had a clearance sale in the last month. Whatever was left was sold on ebay and craig's list and donated to friends and charities. If he's luckily, another dealer might buy stock if he sells below wholesale net.

Face to face retail is tough with intense competition from the internet and mega chains like Guitar Center. Out teaching studio made more money than the retail operations but with Honolulu commercial space rent it's harder than ever to stay above water.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/09/2...-out-its-swan-song-before-closing-in-october/

Do any of y'all know this store? I wish we had one like it somewhere around here!
yeah it is nice. I went there grabbed the uke I wanted, made sure its intonation was good with a snark, and then spent most of my time looking at an upright bass, keyboards, and sheet music. I'm afraid I'm not a browser when it comes to ukes. I buy primarily based on looks, so I don't feel the need to grab and sample how a C chord sounds on different brands. Perhaps some people would think I squandered an opportunity, but I haven't regrets. I had a nice afternoon and found some Sainte Colombe music which isn't too difficult to adapt to the uke.

Reactions: tm3
I’m going to go to the store this week on the way to see my granddaughter who lives fairly close by. Sorry to see such a great store close.

I buy primarily based on looks
Interesting comment, and first time I've heard an advanced player say that. I know that I sure can see bigger differences than I can hear when comparing uke to uke.

Interesting comment, and first time I've heard an advanced player say that. I know that I sure can see bigger differences than I can hear when comparing uke to uke.
well for me I don't really care about the tone as long as the intonation is good. If a particular uke is a bit warm or bright, I just take it as I find it. That's just its voice and I accept it. I only mentioned it because it seems many people in the thread were indicating they would love to try a lot of different ukes, and I was just noting that I didn't do that.

Reactions: tm3
This is why I would like to be filthy rich, buy stores like this, hire broke musicians with business savvy to run them....maybe into the ground, but I wouldn't care, just keep pumping money into them. And pay them so much that they'd be embarrassed to steal from me.

well for me I don't really care about the tone as long as the intonation is good. If a particular uke is a bit warm or bright, I just take it as I find it. That's just its voice and I accept it. I only mentioned it because it seems many people in the thread were indicating they would love to try a lot of different ukes, and I was just noting that I didn't do that.
Well I'm glad that you tossed it out as I enjoyed hearing it!

I also enjoyed the story about this store in LA and it is sad to see it go under, but like a lot of other things it just seems to be inevitable change.

Well I'm glad that you tossed it out as I enjoyed hearing it!

I also enjoyed the story about this store in LA and it is sad to see it go under, but like a lot of other things it just seems to be inevitable change.
I was a nice place, a welcome relief from the smog and heat of the valley. It did have a good showroom even if I didn't make use of it. And its closing is a loss to us all

Top Bottom