Intonation problem on soprano ukulele

sonnydaxter

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!
I've recently got my first ukulele and I'm really happy with it.
I'm studying CAGFD system right now and I'm improving a lot every day.
The only thing that sets me off is the funky intonation on the C string.
I can clearly hear that fretted notes are a bit sharp even though the open string is perfectly tuned.
Can a compensated saddle and/or nut solve this problem?
I hear this a lot especially when I play shapes like this one:
Schermata 2021-10-26 alle 23.31.51.png

Most common source of sharp intonation is imprecise playing, where you bend the string just so slightly. Even with years of playing I still struggle with this. Thick and stiff/hard strings can help with that. When I had a soprano it also got better by tuning one whole note up to ADF#B. If none of these help you may have to bring it to a luthier for assessment if nut or saddle adjustments might help, but if it is a cheap uke it may not be worth a big investment. Or if you are handy and have the time you can experiment yourself with these replaceable parts. I ended up giving the soprano away as I have several larger ukes

Arch your wrist up higher, and make sure the tip of your pinky is pressing straight down on the C string, and not pulling back. When I read this, I immediately tried it on a Concert I had sitting by me, and yes, on my first attempt the note was sharp. I saw the problem and corrected it. Then the note was in tune.

Meh, Intonation problems on ukuleles are common, particularly on the C string. Don't let people have you believing that its all YOU.
Now sometimes it is you, yet perfect intonation on Soprano ukuleles is also somewhat of a Unicorn.

Yes, it is often possible to compensate the nut and saddle positions to fix it, yet it depends on how accurately the instrument was built in the first place. Sometimes the fix may cost more than the instrument did in the first place.

Are you ready to fall down a rabbit hole?

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/another-intonation-question….139438/

I've already lowered the saddle a little bit so that the action is about 3 or 2.5 mm at the 12th fret, so I don't think I'm pressing that hard.
I've also tried to keep my finger more perpendicular to the fretboard to avoid bending the note, but the notes are still sharp.
I use a clip-on tuner. I'm going to experiment a little with filing the saddle slot myself to extend string length and try to fix it as much as I can.

I would try a different set of strings on it, before doing anything else.

Last edited:
I use a clip-on tuner. I'm going to experiment a little with filing the saddle slot myself to extend string length and try to fix it as much as I can.

If that doesn't solve it; you can also help it by shortening the string lengths of the other strings.

Hi, everyone!
I've recently got my first ukulele and I'm really happy with it.
I'm studying CAGFD system right now and I'm improving a lot every day.
The only thing that sets me off is the funky intonation on the C string.
I can clearly hear that fretted notes are a bit sharp even though the open string is perfectly tuned.
Can a compensated saddle and/or nut solve this problem?

Imperfect intonation is a frustration but in my experience the intonation of a Soprano can be made to be virtually perfect. The bad news is that that process (fixing the Uke) usually takes experience plus a lot of time and effort; it’s a learning process, I’ve been engaged in that process for several years and am still learning. Every Uke I’ve touched has improved in some way from a good set-up and then there’s saddle position to check - mostly I get away without individual string compensation but occasionally a bridge will be in the wrong place. If you ask how then someone will tell you what to do/try or refer you to earlier threads.

In this instance I’d separately check the intonation along each string at each fret to see what went sharp and where. Whilst not ideal it is normal for the C string to be slightly sharp at the 12th fret and not unusual for it to go slightly sharp earlier than that. Ukes - especially Sopranos - are fun instruments, but don’t expect too much of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom