Intro

808mama

Aloha,
My name is Bobbie and am from Honolulu, Hi. I am a beginner player and got a ukulele last October. Since then, I've been learning a few chords here & there. I was searching for soft strings, (as my left index fingertip takes a beating when practicing) and found Ukulele Underground 🙂

Ms Bean

Welcome to UU, Bobbie!
I'm sure you'll think of other uke questions besides string choice. There will be lots of folks here to share advice, stories, warnings and jokes. I wish you lots of joy reading through the threads, but don't forget to play your uke!

rainbow21

Aloha!
Well, you are in our ukulele capital! Unclear what size uke you have. If a tenor, some concert size strings would create less tension. Also (in different sizes, Uke Logic Soft tension (from Joel at The Ukulele Site in Haleiwa) or Worth Clear Lights (these also look pricey but they are long enough to cut in half for two sets) are a good place to start. Ask someone (friend or a shop) to measure the action, or string height) for you to see if it is too high and might increase the tension needed to fret properly. If too high, ask how to handle this (friend, pay someone, or buy a better uke ... I vote for the better uke ;)).

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Welcome to the UU Forum 808mama.

I find that Fremont BlackLine Fluorocarbon strings are very bendy and the easiest on my fingertips. LivingWaters are also easy on them.

In general, Fluorocarbon strings are easier on my fingers even though they are thinner and have a higher tension than Nylon strings. Nylons are thick, harder to bend and tend to bruise my fingertips even with fully-formed callouses on them.

Learn now how to put just enough pressure on the string, close to the fret wire, to get a clean note or chord, without pushing it down to the fretboard. It takes some practice to do it consistently. But your fingers will thank you for playing that way. It's also quicker to change notes and chords using using a lighter touch. More fun too.

TopDog

Good day to you,and welcome aboard! You will like it here!

Jerryc41

Aloha,
My name is Bobbie and am from Honolulu, Hi. I am a beginner player and got a ukulele last October. Since then, I've been learning a few chords here & there. I was searching for soft strings, (as my left index fingertip takes a beating when practicing) and found Ukulele Underground 🙂

Welcome to our forum! Since you are living in Hawaii, you might be able to find someone else nearby who plays the ukulele. 😄

Joe T

Welcome to UU Bobbie and a big hello from Chicago!