Is it me or is Mango getting a lot of attention in the ukulele world lately?

The trick is to know what tone ‘you’ prefer out of the many different tone woods available on the market and run with that, after all, it’s you and ‘your’ love affair with the instrument that is most important. It only takes one top musician to favour a particular tone wood over an other and a trend is born. The choice is purely subjective, and as the saying goes “Different strokes for different folks” personally I’m a Cedar person myself.

I'm watching ukulele reviews again and seeing some really great stuff; seems like mid to upper tier quality mango ukuleles are quite popular currently- or is that just me?
it's not just you! There's another thread that has some good rationale and beautiful examples of mango ukes. I have a couple mango keepers in my collection, but still also gravitate towards cedar tops.

edit: @mds725 looks like we were posting this at the same time!

I'm watching ukulele reviews again and seeing some really great stuff; seems like mid to upper tier quality mango ukuleles are quite popular currently- or is that just me?
Mango got traction a few years ago and has become very accepted and for good reason. It has nice tone and resource availability is good.

The first Mango uke I had was a Pono Gloss Tenor. Really great sounding uke which I sold to another member. I did buy another Mango Tenor not very long ago. Had to have another Mango..... A KoAloha Mango Tenor and it is very nice and a great compliment to my KoAloha KTM and other ukes I own.

Mango is a success as a material for Ukes. No anomaly or anything as far getting attention or being noticed. Accepted and liked by many. Good choice to consider. Koa, Cedar, Spruce, Mango etc etc - lots to pick from - all good. Variety is nice.

While mango ukes have been around for a long time, I think the beautiful spalted mango instruments Pepe Romero has been offering has kicked up the interest in the wood.

Koa wood prices has been skyrocketing. Frome what I've read, some large manufacturers have been buying up whole stocks of the wood from the wholesalers. As a result, it's harder to for luthiers and makers acquire high grade koa.

Plus, Mango has a lovely sound all its own. If you don't like the spalted look, you can find very plain mango that sounds just as good. (Some people say it sounds better.) I have a plain mango Rebel satin finished tenor that was $100 cheaper than the the spalted version. It's excellent.

Years ago, I bought a Pono MGT mango tenor just because it was different. Very plain yellow with some spalting blotches on the back. I liked the look and the sound. I sold it to a friend and she loves it.

it's not just you! There's another thread that has some good rationale and beautiful examples of mango ukes. I have a couple mango keepers in my collection, but still also gravitate towards cedar tops.

edit: @mds725 looks like we were posting this at the same time!
Ooops! My mistake for not seeing that! I'm in the market for a nice mid tier ukulele so I'm lurking and trolling online stores, video reviews and message boards trying to get a good feel on what's really good concert uke as a long time keeper.

Ooops! My mistake for not seeing that! I'm in the market for a nice mid tier ukulele so I'm lurking and trolling online stores, video reviews and message boards trying to get a good feel on what's really good concert uke as a long time keeper.
No worries! Just thought I'd share since there's lots of good info there. I mostly play tenor and have gravitated towards cedar, but I have one concert and it's a mango KoAloha that I keep for my high G needs. I like that the mango warms up the concert size that, for me, is usually on thr brighter side.

I also have a spalted mango Romero Creations ST Concert that's super sweet sounding. It doesn't get much play since it's in low G and I mainly pick up my tenors for that, but I don't think I'll ever sell it because the voice is too nice. It's a concert scale, so that could also fit the bill perhaps?.. I don't know if one would really consider it a concert since it's soprano overall length but with a concert scale and tenor body.

Last edited:
Top Bottom