Is it still UAS if you buy a uke for someone else?

mikelz777

Reaction score
😊 😄

The someone else is my wife so it will be in the same household. My reason for buying her a uke is to re-gain exclusive use of my Ohana solid mahogany, long neck soprano which I really love. She isn't remotely as careful with it as I am and since she started using it I've discovered no fewer than 6 dings on it that weren't there before. I understand that's bound to happen eventually but I'm kind of anal about it and I make an effort to keep my ukes looking as nice and new for as long as possible. She is a very casual player so I went with something well-reviewed and cheap and bought her a Flight TUSL-35. She can bump and knock that around all she likes and it won't really bother me.

I'm currently up to 6 ukes and I've tamped down the temptation of buying at least 5 different ukes in the last 6 months. I can't say won't buy another uke again but I'm getting a lot better at resisting the temptation. Confession time - even though I'm buying the Flight for my wife, I bought it with an eye toward filling a gap I don't already have with my current 6 ukes which would be a sturdy, knock-around, outdoor/travel uke. It will definitely be considered her uke but she is such a casual player that it wouldn't be very difficult for me to end up playing it as much as she did. I think buying this Flight uke for her is kind of a dodgy way of saying that I'm avoiding UAS! ;)😄

Last edited:
UAS? What UAS? Sorry, I can't relate; I just have no desire to buy another uke. :)

Anyway, yes, I think that'd quality as UAS. Even if you're buying for another and are enjoying the process, it's UAS.
BTW, each time your wife puts a new ding in your uke, you need to give her a spanking. That'll either teach her to respect the uke or throw you out of the house. It's a win-win for you either way.

It's not the acquisition that's a problem, it's the lies! :)

Congrats on your^H^H^H^H^H her new uke! I love my TUS-35 (non-L). It's a fantastic knock-abouter. What colour did she^H^H^H^H you choose?

If it's in the same household then yes..........its UAS.........keep tellen' yourself it's for her......;)

Nice to have a knock about uke that you can hand off to the casual or beginner player........

And being in the same household you know they are not likely to get carried away forever.......

It's not the acquisition that's a problem, it's the lies! :)

Congrats on your^H^H^H^H^H her new uke! I love my TUS-35 (non-L). It's a fantastic knock-abouter. What colour did she^H^H^H^H you choose?
😄
It's going to be a birthday gift so she doesn't know she's getting it yet. I knew she wouldn't like any of picture ones or the black one so that left the walnut salamander or the blue. I went with the blue because it suits her personality better. (And I like it too! ;) )

Last edited:
Yes! Oh, I suppose I should elaborate. You not only bought within the household, but for an altogether selfish reason. So, UAS!!! 😁 Now, why is it that I foresee her playing the beat up Ohana, and you playing the shiny new Flight? Hum .... Maybe it's because I have over 50 years of marriage experience. Let us know how it all works out.

Yes! Oh, I suppose I should elaborate. You not only bought within the household, but for an altogether selfish reason. So, UAS!!! 😁 Now, why is it that I foresee her playing the beat up Ohana, and you playing the shiny new Flight? Hum .... Maybe it's because I have over 50 years of marriage experience. Let us know how it all works out.
Handing my mahogany Ohana over to her was like handing your baby over to someone who has a history of accidently klonking babies heads on table edges and door frames. My wife would be happy with pretty much any uke so she doesn't need a nice one. (The Flight was less than $65) I'll admit I'm interested in trying out the Flight but I'm more interested in the welfare of the Ohana. I really like that little thing and I want to prevent it from reaching the beat up stage. :) I intentionally held off ordering it until I got a Monday delivery date so it would get here when she was at work but I just received notice that it will be delivered early on Saturday so I'll have to smuggle it into the house somehow without her noticing it.

Hmmm.... it sounds like you should have considered ordering a second Ohana.

Hmmm.... it sounds like you should have considered ordering a second Ohana.
Believe me, I did! (although not the same as those I already have.) :) Like I mentioned earlier, she's a pretty casual player and I don't think she's attached to the Ohana so I don't think my "reclaiming it" will be a problem. She'd probably be pretty happy with almost anything. The Flight is a long neck soprano just like the Ohana is so there shouldn't be jarring transition.

Perhaps I see a commercial opportunity here? How about a line of "Ukulele Protectors" similar to iPhone protectors? They could snap on around the edges, and provide ding protection, and even some scratch protection as they would be first in contact with any flat surface when laying the uke down, like on a table. Being just on the edges, the protectors shouldn't effect the sound quality at all.

How kind of you to give your wife your prized Ohana.
I'd like to take credit for being kind but I'm not sure I would qualify. I love my wife but I chose that Ohana because it was the least expensive of my 6 ukes and it was the one I was the least reluctant to let her use! 😄 I do love that little uke. It's an Ohana SK-30M, a solid mahogany, long-neck (concert scale) soprano. It's a good value and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a concert scale soprano.

I've been playing uke about 10 years and I've repeatedly asked my wife if I could teach her how to play but she was never interested. It wasn't until about a year and a half ago when a local radio personality she likes announced that he was starting up a uke group that she decided she would try and play and participate. I think she always viewed the Ohana as my uke that she was allowed to play. Now with the gift of the Flight uke, she'll have a uke that's all hers and she won't have to put up with worry-wart me fretting over her need to be careful with the Ohana. I'm hoping that her having the Flight all to herself will encourage her to play more.

Last edited:
...as long as it does not bother her that you have six very nice ukes and then you buy her one for only $59.

...as long as it does not bother her that you have six very nice ukes and then you buy her one for only $59.
Hmm... interesting how this was phrased. Whether intentional or not, I can't help but feel that this is kind of a dig calling for the need to be more equitable in the quality and price of what I already own vs. what I bought for her. Yes I have 6 ukes but she could hardly care less about them. I think she's only seen 3 of them. She doesn't even care enough to want to see the others despite the cases setting right out in the open. When you look at our situation, there is a huge gap when comparing our dedication to learn and desire to play. It would normally take me only about 2 weeks to play the same amount of time that she would play in 6 months and it wouldn't even be necessary for me to play every day during that time. In addition to that, she does not have as a discerning taste as I do as far as ukulele sound is concerned. She thinks that most ukes sound the same and would be very happy with almost any uke. She's even liked the sound of ukes I've criticized. In addition to that, the Flight TUSL is a very well reviewed uke which has a pretty nice sound from what I've heard in videos so it is by no means a piece of junk despite what some people might think given its price. Taking into consideration her level of actual interest and dedication toward playing, a $63, good quality for its price uke is very appropriate to fill the needs of the situation. I guess we'll find out how it all pans out late next week.

Last edited:
This is why absolutely nobody touches my ukulele.

Also LOL @ people talking about buying ukes for 'only' $59 and I absolutely treasure 'Zuleika' that I got for 25 euros.

Dings that don't harm sound or body integrity are kisses given to a uke to show that it is loved enough to be played often.

I suggest you give your wife the Ohana & do the manly thing -- buy a Kanile'a to replace it.
True I take mine lots of rough outdoor places to play it. I've managed not to ding it though. Thankfully. So far.

I appreciate Mike’s logic but it’s not necessarily his wife’s logic. Ultimately it’s not worth the potential and actual downsides (well that’s my experience) and far more sensible to just give up the Ohana and move on. Happy wife, happy life, etc.

Dings that don't harm sound or body integrity are kisses given to a uke to show that it is loved enough to be played often.

I suggest you give your wife the Ohana & do the manly thing -- buy a Kanile'a to replace it.

I like to keep my instruments in good shape but IMHO signs of careful use and wear give an instrument character, instruments are made to be played.

Top Bottom