Is it still UAS if you buy a uke for someone else?

Dings that don't harm sound or body integrity are kisses given to a uke to show that it is loved enough to be played often.

I suggest you give your wife the Ohana & do the manly thing -- buy a Kanile'a to replace it.
😄
I don't think me or my budget are manly enough to buy a Kanile'a! While I'd be happy to have a Kanile'a if someone wants to give me one, I don't aspire to own any of the K-brands. I got the shakes buying my two most expensive ukes and those two combined would barely cover the price of the cheapest Kanile'a available and even then it probably wouldn't be enough to cover the total plus taxes. When I look at some of the prettier Kanile'as all 6 of my ukes combined wouldn't cover the cost.

The borrowed Ohana now has several kisses and pecks. They aren't bad and don't affect sound or integrity but I still wish they weren't there and I don't think I was responsible for any of them. Maybe I'll grow to better appreciate their "character". :)

Last edited:
The Flight came in the mail and I managed to smuggle the package into the house without my wife seeing it. She finally went to bed at midnight so I was able to open the package to see what I had. I thought the uke looked nice and there didn't appear to be any "build" issues if you could call it that since everything is plastic except for the sound board but everything fit together nicely. It's advertised as a travel uke and it would be excellent for just that as it felt very sturdy and it would be much more able to handle bumps and knocks than a wood uke could. Before tuning I checked the action which was nice at the 12th fret and a bit higher at the nut than I like but it was still easy and comfortable to play. So far so good! I started to tune it up and the strings were obviously still stretching but after several tweaks they were all starting to hold tune except for the E string. I wasn't sure if that string was particularly stretchy or if it was a slippy tuner (cheap/generic) but I didn't play it long enough to find out. The sound! I couldn't in any way get past the sound! It sounded so cheap and plinky and kind of banjo-like. I didn't like the tone or lack thereof. It had pretty good volume and projection but if you don't like what it's projecting, then it's not a good thing. Since it's plastic with a laminate sound board the sound understandably lacks the warmth of an all-wood uke but it wasn't different in a good way. (At least to my ears.) The difference in sound between the Ohana and the Flight was night and day. I didn't expect that the Flight would sound as nice as the Ohana but I had hoped that the sound would still be acceptable and based on videos I saw I thought it would but this didn't rise to that level. My wife is a lot less discerning about ukulele sound than I am but I don't think even she would be happy with it. To me it sounded like a cheap toy and that is unacceptable even if my wife is a super casual player. I can't even remotely bring myself to do this to her so I'm going to return the Flight before she even lays eyes on it or knows that it was coming. Failed experiment!

Last edited:
A very sound move to return it. (y)

Let your Mrs keep the Ohana that she’s happy with and, if you still want another Uke, get something different for yourself.

A Magic Fluke uke might be more in line with the durability and sound quality that you want. But it will come at a higher price point.

Or as mentioned your spouse continues to play the Ohana and you get something else to replace your lost Ohana....

Best of luck in maintaining marital and ukulele bliss :)

Let your Mrs keep the Ohana that she’s happy with and, if you still want another Uke, get something different for yourself.
That was pretty much the original plan. With this failed alternative plan I had hoped to:
- Reclaim the Ohana
- Provide my wife with a decent replacement that would hold up better against knocks and bumps
- Spend less than what I would have spent letting her keep the Ohana and getting a replacement for me
Back to square one! I'll probably just keep the status quo and see how I feel after the New Year.

A Magic Fluke uke might be more in line with the durability and sound quality that you want. But it will come at a higher price point.

Or as mentioned your spouse continues to play the Ohana and you get something else to replace your lost Ohana....

Best of luck in maintaining marital and ukulele bliss :)
Thanks for the suggestion! Looking at the Magic Flukes, you were right about the price point. If I were going to go that high I'd probably sooner leave her with the original Ohana and get a different Ohana I was eyeing if I decided to go with another uke. :)

Hmm... interesting how this was phrased. Whether intentional or not, I can't help but feel that this is kind of a dig calling for the need to be more equitable in the quality and price of what I already own vs. what I bought for her. Yes I have 6 ukes but she could hardly care less about them. I think she's only seen 3 of them. She doesn't even care enough to want to see the others despite the cases setting right out in the open. When you look at our situation, there is a huge gap when comparing our dedication to learn and desire to play. It would normally take me only about 2 weeks to play the same amount of time that she would play in 6 months and it wouldn't even be necessary for me to play every day during that time. In addition to that, she does not have as a discerning taste as I do as far as ukulele sound is concerned. She thinks that most ukes sound the same and would be very happy with almost any uke. She's even liked the sound of ukes I've criticized. In addition to that, the Flight TUSL is a very well reviewed uke which has a pretty nice sound from what I've heard in videos so it is by no means a piece of junk despite what some people might think given its price. Taking into consideration her level of actual interest and dedication toward playing, a $63, good quality for its price uke is very appropriate to fill the needs of the situation. I guess we'll find out how it all pans out late next week.
You know, if she is like most of us, a nicer ukulele is gonna make her play more....just a thought.

And now I have to think of another birthday present....
I often struggle with that too. Women seem to like getting flowers, I can’t understand why but they do so it’s a start point as is a box of Chocolates. If you have a local Spa then she might like a day ticket or two.

You know, if she is like most of us, a nicer ukulele is gonna make her play more....just a thought.
I know that you’re right, but the funny thing is that I seem play my cheapest Uke the most. One friend that I have played and admired a particular Uke in a local shop, it was a dear instrument and she felt it was too expensive to buy. Her Husband found out about the instrument and bought it for her, she plays it a lot and she was pretty pleased with him.

Moral to the tail: watch out for what your wife would like (no easy task) and then try to act on it.

Last edited:
My wife just told me what she wants for her BD next month, and it has nothing to do with ukulele, of course, she just acquired two more guitars....
She's getting a new dremel tool.

I don't disagree but I think it's a general lack of interest rather than lack of a nicer uke that's contributing to her not playing more.

I don't disagree but I think it's a general lack of interest rather than lack of a nicer uke that's contributing to her not playing more.
Well, I have to ask you....do you just think that, or did she tell you that? You might wanna ask her....never assume anything with us gals....

Just let your wife keep using your uke. Only buy her own if she asks.

Well, I have to ask you....do you just think that, or did she tell you that? You might wanna ask her....never assume anything with us gals....
I'm going off of observed behavior. :)
- I've been playing uke for about 10 years and in that time I've invited her many times to learn to play with me and how fun it would be and that I'd be happy to teach her. It was always, "Thanks but no thanks!" She didn't even try it out to humor me. If I ever saw a hint of interest, I would have jumped at the opportunity.
- About 2 years ago her favorite local radio personality said he was starting up a uke gathering and was holding it at the radio station. It wasn't until the lure of meeting him and seeing the radio station was offered that she showed any interest in playing the ukulele. She feeds off of and is energized being around people (I'm the exact opposite) so she thought it would be a fun opportunity and the ukulele (+my experience, presence and support) was her ticket in.
- The aforementioned group met monthly, some of which were cancelled so that is fewer than 24 meetings in 2 years. In that time, not once did I ever see or hear her pick up the uke other than to play at the meeting itself or for a short practice session before a meeting when we were sponsoring a song or songs. She has a lot of fun being in the gathering and playing at the meeting but has never played for fun or pleasure outside of group meeting days. If there wasn't a meeting for 3 months she wouldn't play at all in those 3 months. While the whole experience is something she enjoys, the social aspect is primary and the ukulele is secondary.
- I don't think a nicer uke would change that behavior. The Ohana SK-30M is an all-solid mahogany and it's a nice little uke. I would confidently hand it to an experienced player and I wouldn't feel awkward like it wasn't enough uke for them. If anything, she had the benefit of learning on a nice uke rather than a frustrating piece of junk. 😊

A lot of people, me included, often think that if we are passionate about something, that others will share that passion if only they could be exposed to it or try it out. Unfortunately, sharing my passion didn't catch on at all with my daughters and only kinda-sorta caught on with my wife! 😄

Just let your wife keep using your uke. Only buy her own if she asks.
This is probably what I'll end up doing. The uke for her birthday window is pretty much closed at this point since the Flight uke didn't pan out. Sharing the Ohana has worked so far the last couple of years so I'll just try to embrace the idea that bumps and dings are probably going to happen somewhere down the road so it shouldn't matter who puts them on there.

I buy the ocassional uke for a niece who plays and for a kids group I support. Of course each of the ukes I buy gets a "test drive" for a few days just to make sure I got them a good one. ;)

...bumps and dings are probably going to happen somewhere down the road so it shouldn't matter who puts them on there.

If the dumps and dings are put by people I love, I'd look upon them fondly each time I play.
A lot of people, me included, often think that if we are passionate about something, that others will share that passion if only they could be exposed to it or try it out. Unfortunately, sharing my passion didn't catch on at all with my daughters and only kinda-sorta caught on with my wife! 😄

Well, you're doing a lot better than me. I can't imagine getting to the stage of spreading ukulele joy with my wife. She hates it whenever I play the ukulele, but I don't care :)

I'm going off of observed behavior. :)
- I've been playing uke for about 10 years and in that time I've invited her many times to learn to play with me and how fun it would be and that I'd be happy to teach her. It was always, "Thanks but no thanks!" She didn't even try it out to humor me. If I ever saw a hint of interest, I would have jumped at the opportunity.
- About 2 years ago her favorite local radio personality said he was starting up a uke gathering and was holding it at the radio station. It wasn't until the lure of meeting him and seeing the radio station was offered that she showed any interest in playing the ukulele. She feeds off of and is energized being around people (I'm the exact opposite) so she thought it would be a fun opportunity and the ukulele (+my experience, presence and support) was her ticket in.
- The aforementioned group met monthly, some of which were cancelled so that is fewer than 24 meetings in 2 years. In that time, not once did I ever see or hear her pick up the uke other than to play at the meeting itself or for a short practice session before a meeting when we were sponsoring a song or songs. She has a lot of fun being in the gathering and playing at the meeting but has never played for fun or pleasure outside of group meeting days. If there wasn't a meeting for 3 months she wouldn't play at all in those 3 months. While the whole experience is something she enjoys, the social aspect is primary and the ukulele is secondary.
- I don't think a nicer uke would change that behavior. The Ohana SK-30M is an all-solid mahogany and it's a nice little uke. I would confidently hand it to an experienced player and I wouldn't feel awkward like it wasn't enough uke for them. If anything, she had the benefit of learning on a nice uke rather than a frustrating piece of junk. 😊

I see. I too, am a people person. If I go too long without seeing a friend, I will call her on the phone, just to yack. When the Mother Pluckers meet, two of us will say we haven't touched the music since last meeting. When I was instructor in the library lending prgram for beginners, many would admit they hadn't touched a uke in two weeks. They had more faith than they should have in my teaching abilities.

Top Bottom