Is it worth it to spend $110 more for another laminate baritone ukulele

ro_sims

Reaction score
The Kala KA-BG baritone ukulele costs $169, see link https://store.ukelikethepros.com/products/kala-ka-bg-mahogany-baritone-ukulele-w-gloss-finish
The Kala KA-ZCT-B Zircote ukulele costs $279, see link https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UkeKAZCTB--kala-ziricote-baritone-natural-ziricote
Both are laminates

Is it worth it to spend $110 more for another laminate. Is the sound quality, projection etc of another laminate $110 better than the other one? Experienced uke buyers please let me know

I was in the same boat when shopping for a tenor. What I was looking at were all-solid wood ukes but one of them was $100 more than the other I was drawn to. I very much doubt the difference in price had anything to do with sound quality, projection, etc. but rather the bling/visual flourishes, that the more expensive uke was a copy of a classic uke. In your case, I don't think that you are going to see much difference in sound, projection etc. between the two Kala laminates if you were able to compare them side by side. I'd wager the real question is whether the looks of the one model are worth the extra $110 to you. I'd advise trying to find a baritone with a solid top if not an all-solid that works within your budget.

I've compared a few laminated baritone ukuleles to each other in a shop before and there were noticeable differences.
Is the more expensive one better in this case? Who knows?
I suspect that each of these instruments came out of a different factory actually, even though they are both labeled as Kala's.

I was in the same boat when shopping for a tenor. What I was looking at were all-solid wood ukes but one of them was $100 more than the other I was drawn to. I very much doubt the difference in price had anything to do with sound quality, projection, etc. but rather the bling/visual flourishes, that the more expensive uke was a copy of a classic uke. In your case, I don't think that you are going to see much difference in sound, projection etc. between the two Kala laminates if you were able to compare them side by side. I'd wager the real question is whether the looks of the one model are worth the extra $110 to you. I'd advise trying to find a baritone with a solid top if not an all-solid that works within your budget.
Yes you're right. Ohana has a baritone with solid top Ohana BK-70R for $275. Think that's a better deal than the Kala laminate

If you haven't already found it, GotAUkulele.com is a great source of reviews. He has a review of the pricier Kala you're considering, but in a tenor size. I've included the link for you. You can listen and see for yourself what you think, if it's helpful, as the only person's thoughts that matter are your own. I'd still select the Pono myself. lol.

Last edited:
Kala laminates are going to sound very similar, as the construction is the same. Be aware that ULTP has a lot of additional fees. I would consider this one for $100 more. It's solid mango, direct from Pono: https://reverb.com/item/53646582-pono-mgbd-baritone-ukulele-2020-natural-gloss. Or go if your budget is fixed, go the used route.
The Pono looks good but is a bit too expensive for me, I'm going the the used route as you suggested earlier if i can't find one that suits me. Many thanks

Yes you're right. Ohana has a baritone with solid top Ohana BK-70R for $275. Think that's a better deal than the Kala laminate
I think I'd agree with you there. I have a concert solid spruce top with laminate back/sides and I love it. It sounds as good as my all-solid ukes and better than any all-laminate I've played.

I thought about posting and suggesting exactly the same thing but I think we have been down this road before...
The pono is a bit too expensive. I'm going to the used route as cadia suggested earlier if i can't find one that suits me, Thank you

If you haven't already found it, GotAUkulele.com is a great source of reviews. He has a review of the pricier Kala you're considering, and I've included the link for you. You can listen and see for yourself what you think, as the only person's thoughts that matter are your own. I'd still select the Pono myself. lol.
Me too - I'd buy the Pono even if I had to beg, borrow or steal the money.

I think I'd agree with you there. I have a concert solid spruce top with laminate back/sides and I love it. It sounds as good as my all-solid ukes and better than any all-laminate I've played.
Okay so i have to make a choice between Ohana BK-20 solid top mahogany, laminated back and sides $215 and Ohana BK70R solid spruce top laminated back and sides $275. I have to know now if the BK-70R is worth the extra $60

Okay so i have to make a choice between Ohana BK-20 solid top mahogany, laminated back and sides $215 and Ohana BK70R solid spruce top laminated back and sides $275. I have to know now if the BK-70R is worth the extra $60
Listen to them. A solid top will give you a sound difference. Search for reviews and decide what you like.

Post #2 in one of the other threads you started - Jim Hanks suggested the BK70R. Jim plays baritone and knows them inside out. I'd give his suggestions heavy weight.

There you go ! (y) let us know when you get it !

I haven't heard either but my take on that would be that either would be a good value i.e. I don't think they're overpriced. The BK-70R has a slotted headstock which is a feature many people like and could account for part of the price difference. I think the BK-70R has a bit classier look but that's subjective.

Me too - I'd buy the Pono even if I had to beg, borrow or steal the money.
no i'm not going to beg, borrow or steal for a Pono ha ha, no no. That gotaukulele guy has a overly critical eye, but if he says that something is good, it's sure good. I'll rethink buying that kala, but for now i think i'm going to give the Ohana's a good look

Post #2 in one of the other threads you started - Jim Hanks suggested the BK70R. Jim plays baritone and knows them inside out. I'd give his suggestions heavy weight.

There you go ! (y) let us know when you get it !
Yes, you're right. I'm leaning towards the BK70R. That's the one i'm going to get, thank you

Top Bottom