Is this Bridge/string situation potentially an issue?

rob_dixon

Reaction score
Hi All!
We bought our first "high end" Ukulele, (a Kanile'a) and are not used this type of pin bridge. I bought it second hand at a fair price, but we noticed how the string is cutting into the bridge. Maybe? Because I am not sure if this is perfectly normal, or is an issue of the strings being overtightend at some point which then caused it to dig into the bridge.

Of course, we already own it now, so it is what it is, so my next question is if this is NOT supposed to be like this, if you think it will cause an issue? It seems to hold the tune, although we just bought it so that remains to be seen I guess.

(BTW, these are plastic pins, is there any benefit to upgrading to bone or ebony? Its an Oha model.)

The slots are there cut on purpose to hold the strings in place. That's the way it is supposed to be. If you don't like the plastic pins you can try to find ones made of a different material but make sure they are the same size. I would avoid pins that are heavier though.

That's how its supposed to be and actually its a good design.
Technically its not really a bridge pin bridge and that's a good thing because bridge pin bridges need ball end strings to work properly.
What it is is a slotted bridge that anchors under the top. Its a good design and the pins are just there for show. You can remove the pins and the strings will remain in place.

AH, thanks guys but what i mean was you can see stress cracks/pulling ON the slotted bridge. Almost as if the strings have potenatilly elongated the slots. You can see the wood fibers stretched out of the way towards the neck, so that was what i was wondering about.

If desired, you could replace the plastic pins with ebony pins, like these Waverly pins from Stew Mac. I believe they come plain, or with pearl or abalone dots.

yes! I like the aesthetics of the dots regardless. Thanks for the suggestion!

I do see what you're talking about, Rob. Looks like tension on the strings has smashed down the edge of the slots and elongated them slightly. Kind of like how the holes in paper in a 3-ring binder eventually get ovalled then torn. I'm not a luthier but can't see it would hurt anything unless the strings get pinched or abraded to the point of breaking.

That is normal. The grooves might even initially have been cut too avoid that the string goes over a sharp 90 degree edge.

You MUST change those plastic pins. They are an aesthically abomination on any instrument. It won't change your sound though but the looks.

Top Bottom