Jazzy Improvisation, more Brüko Sopranos (no. 7)

Jan Haasler

Reaction score
Hello there,

Today I share a clip from one of my stair case sessions (december). I improvise some jazzy stuff there.

I am demoing an improvisation of a jazzy chord progression and later explaining here what I.
The main chord sheet is an A A B A Form. The A theme is an 8 bar D minor modal set. The B theme is the same just shifted 3 half steps higher to F minor.
The tune "So what" by Miles Davis works like this just with a one half step shift.
At 3:45 I am talking a bit about what I did (using the dorian mode which for D minor is the C major scale (from d to d)).
Also I arpegiate a lot and use chromatic approaches. For me it is s big fun to improvise and use the music as kind of a language.
Also I want to show the capabilities of the (soprano) ukulele (as a serious instrument).

The other two clips show me demonstrating an old Brüko no. 7 (spruce/ovangkol) in high and low g tuning. A decent sounding one.

Have a good day, play some ukulele (or other instrument). Happy strumming
Jan

Hello there,

Today I share a clip from one of my stair case sessions (december). I improvise some jazzy stuff there.

I am demoing an improvisation of a jazzy chord progression and later explaining here what I.
The main chord sheet is an A A B A Form. The A theme is an 8 bar D minor modal set. The B theme is the same just shifted 3 half steps higher to F minor.
The tune "So what" by Miles Davis works like this just with a one half step shift.
At 3:45 I am talking a bit about what I did (using the dorian mode which for D minor is the C major scale (from d to d)).
Also I arpegiate a lot and use chromatic approaches. For me it is s big fun to improvise and use the music as kind of a language.
Also I want to show the capabilities of the (soprano) ukulele (as a serious instrument).

The other two clips show me demonstrating an old Brüko no. 7 (spruce/ovangkol) in high and low g tuning. A decent sounding one.

Have a good day, play some ukulele (or other instrument). Happy strumming
Jan

Jan, all three of those videos are excellent, but I must say, that first one is just "out of this world" good! It occurred to me, midway through, that your jazz technique, combined with your overall body movement, was making it feel like I was hearing an upright bass, and a drummer, as well as the uke itself. That is just outstanding ! Really enjoyed it!

Yeah, very nice Jan. The modal thing is cool, and you really keep the interest on such a minimal structure. I love improvising, and I think a lot of what get labeled as jazz among ukulele players is arranged swing repertoire - which is lovely but it's not the same as jazz without real improvised solos. Things get a bit hairier when you're on your own and there are proper changes flying by, but that's where the fun is.

Thanks for All replies/comments.
After being very busy with work I came back here late.
I've always liked natural reverbs like in bathrooms, halls, staircases etc. I guess many others Toilette, yes.

A good new week so far.
Jan

Top Bottom