Jet 10-20 conveyor won't adjust to center

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
All of a sudden I found that my conveyor belt was drifted way toward the motor end of my Jet 10-20 Drum Sander. So I loosened things up and positioned it manually. It simply wants to go inward and it seems like there's nothing I can do about that. Have any of you seen this sort of an issue? I will ultimately have to take it apart but it would be nice to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks, all! (Haven't built lately but hope to get into a couple ukes soon!)

Chuck

Some info here Chuck...it could be a worn oilite bush giving you problems or a stretched conveyor belt.

Some info here Chuck...it could be a worn oilite bush giving you problems or a stretched conveyor belt.
How does one tell of the oilite bushings have gone bad? With no belt on, the un-driven roller doesn't spin but requires help to turn. Doesn't that mean something? I'd think it should have little or no drag.

Also, I would assume if I switch the belt end for end and it crawls away from the motor end that I've found the trouble -a stretched belt?

Thanks, again, Ken!

s How does one tell of the oilite bushings have gone bad? With no belt on, the un-driven roller doesn't spin but requires help to turn. Doesn't that mean something? I'd think it should have little or no drag.

Also, I would assume if I switch the belt end for end and it crawls away from the motor end that I've found the trouble -a stretched belt?

Thanks, again, Ken!
My 16-32 had the same problem with a replacement Abtec conveyor belt driving hard over to the motor side whatever I did to the adjustment. The original belt (which had worn out and wasn't gripping the workpiece) never had any issues at all and never needed adjustment. Unfortunately, reversing the replacement belt did absolutely nothing to help - it still pulled hard over to the motor side. The fault was actually a poor belt seam and when you reverse the belt the seam orientation actually stays the same (you might find that hard to visualise - I did). I binned it and bought a custom made belt from BnD Abrasives here in the UK - problem immediately solved.

Ref the bushes - if the non-drive roller wont spin freely there is something wrong. Have you oiled the bushes periodically or have they run dry? Has too much tension bent the spindle? Extremes of adjustment on the two sides in an effort to correct the belt drift could also cause issues with alignment of the roller in the bushes?

Last edited:
My 16-32 had the same problem with a replacement Abtec conveyor belt driving hard over to the motor side whatever I did to the adjustment. The original belt (which had worn out and wasn't gripping the workpiece) never had any issues at all and never needed adjustment. Unfortunately, reversing the replacement belt did absolutely nothing to help - it still pulled hard over to the motor side. The fault was actually a poor belt seam and when you reverse the belt the seam orientation actually stays the same (you might find that hard to visualise - I did). I binned it and bought a custom made belt from BnD Abrasives here in the UK - problem immediately solved.

Ref the bushes - if the non-drive roller wont spin freely there is something wrong. Have you oiled the bushes periodically or have they run dry? Has too much tension bent the spindle? Extremes of adjustment on the two sides in an effort to correct the belt drift could also cause issues with alignment of the roller in the bushes?
Okay, I downloaded a manual and I see right there in black and white it says lubricate the conveyor bushings and check for wear. There are other points of maintenance detailed as well. Since I picked this used machine up four or more years ago I haven't done anything to it. So the Jet tech whom I talked with said yeah you have to lube things. So it says lubricate the conveyor bushings. I am not sure how to do that. Any tips? There are no zerk fittings, ... and I am not a mechanic. All other points of maintenance look doable for Chuck. 😳

Okay, I downloaded a manual and I see right there in black and white it says lubricate the conveyor bushings and check for wear. There are other points of maintenance detailed as well. Since I picked this used machine up four or more years ago I haven't done anything to it. So the Jet tech whom I talked with said yeah you have to lube things. So it says lubricate the conveyor bushings. I am not sure how to do that. Any tips? There are no zerk fittings, ... and I am not a mechanic. All other points of maintenance look doable for Chuck. 😳
Never heard of a zerk fitting, but I just dribble some light grade lubricating oil around each end of the bush, run the belt for a while and then mop up any surplus. The most difficult one is the drive end of the front roller as you can only access one side (at least that's the case with the 16-32). With the belt off, If you want to go the whole hog you can dismantle the non-drive roller assembly completely. It is pretty straightforward

Okay, I downloaded a manual and I see right there in black and white it says lubricate the conveyor bushings and check for wear. There are other points of maintenance detailed as well. Since I picked this used machine up four or more years ago I haven't done anything to it. So the Jet tech whom I talked with said yeah you have to lube things. So it says lubricate the conveyor bushings. I am not sure how to do that. Any tips? There are no zerk fittings, ... and I am not a mechanic. All other points of maintenance look doable
Never heard of a zerk fitting, but I just dribble some light grade lubricating oil around each end of the bush, run the belt for a while and then mop up any surplus. The most difficult one is the drive end of the front roller as you can only access one side (at least that's the case with the 16-32). With the belt off, If you want to go the whole hog you can dismantle the non-drive roller assembly completely. It is pretty straightforward
Under the conveyor attached to the metal sides are a couple of magnetic belt guides sometimes these can get dislodged and cause problems..and im not quite sure what they are supposed to do.

Well thank you all! It seems like what they want you to do is squirt some oil in the direction of the bushings. I have no idea how that works or why, but that roller spins smoothly now. And I gave the drum a good blowing out (what a dust storm!) and oiled the elevation screw. The manual says check the bushings for wear. Not sure how you do that.

Now that I'm on the right track I plan on keeping this sander for a little bit longer.

ahh i’m having the same issues. thanks for sharing all the tips. i’ll see if i can figure out what the heck all those parts are to lube. seems like jet should make a howto video for this.

ahh i’m having the same issues. thanks for sharing all the tips. i’ll see if i can figure out what the heck all those parts are to lube. seems like jet should make a howto video for this.
I found this,
Lubrication is discussed at about 1:16. The crazy thing is you just aim a squirt bottle at the general location of the bushing and squirt. Doesn't say how much doesn't explain why that is effective, but that's what I'm going to.

Top Bottom