Judging by harmonics?

Ukebyo

Reaction score
Hi, I have been watching numerous ukulele review videos and was wondering how some uke models project harmonics so much better than others. Also, I have a quite high level tenor instrument that sounds fine but only the 12th and 7th fret harmonics come out easy. If I try some melodic stuff only some of the notes really ring. I know the technique well enough from playing guitars and mandolins.I have changed string types but they don't seem to have a significant effect. How do you luthiers see this issue? Do the harmonics relate to good wood material, sound bars or something else? Thanks.

Harmonics put much less power into the soundboard, and so I'd say the the more responsively the instrument is built, the clearer the harmonics will be.

But I think the main problem is the string. I find that harmonics are much easier to sound if the string is:
  • long
  • thin
  • high tension
On a uke you have none of these! I can't reliably get more than the 12th and 7th fret harmonics on a uke, but I rarely try. Much easier on a guitar.

I suspect that those who can achieve a wide range of harmonics use the highest tension strings they can. But more importantly, they have learned and practiced excellent technique for playing harmonics, and I'd guess that's the most important factor.

Thanks ProfChris,
that makes sense. Do you happen to know if tenor Anuenues have anything special under the top?
They seem to be responsive. Have you seen this?
Tobias Elof harmonics

Last edited:
Thanks ProfChris,
that makes sense. Do you happen to know if tenor Anuenues have anything special under the top?
They seem to be responsive. Have you seen this?
Tobias Elof harmonics
Not a luthier, but longtime harmonics player. I think Tobias + fluorocarbon strings is more the secret here than the aNueNue.

I've never noticed much difference in harmonics between high-end ukes. But I've also never paid much attention. I imagine the "best" harmonics uke, if you were to build one for such a purpose, would sound pretty crappy for normal notes.

It is easier to play harmonics on a tenor or baritone size since the longer scale gives you more room. You would have a seriously hard time playing this on a soprano uke, awesome chops aside: .

It is easier to play harmonics on a tenor or baritone size since the longer scale gives you more room. You would have a seriously hard time playing this on a soprano uke, awesome chops aside: .

Victor Wooten could take a 2 x 4 strung with barbed wire and make it sound like a Stradivarius.

Top Bottom