June 3-5, 2022 , 2022 NAMM Show , Please post any Ukulele news here

DJ Mango

Reaction score
June 3-5, 2022 , 2022 NAMM Show , Please post any Ukulele news here

NAMM 2022: MARTIN ADDS THREE NEW UKULELE MODELS

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/namm-2022-martin-guitar-new-ukulele-models/

9982CE93-BF6D-451D-AC9B-C0F7E574FA0E.jpg

Last edited:
I would be very interested to hear the sinker mahogany tenor. How it compares in sound to the 1T IZ or the 1T mahogany tenors.

I can't tell from the photos if they have finally improved their bridges? Absolutely appalling looking and so soft the strings cut indented grooves into the wood. Speaking of bad looking, that fretboard on the sinker mahogany tenor looks like it was left out in the sun too long and the wood bleached out and became very dry.

Martin used dye (ink?) on the fretboard on my 1T IZ tenor. I suppose to even out the color of the Indian Rosewood. It has lightened up considerably in the past three years.

I would be very interested to hear the sinker mahogany tenor. How it compares in sound to the 1T IZ or the 1T mahogany tenors.

I can't tell from the photos if they have finally improved their bridges? Absolutely appalling looking and so soft the strings cut indented grooves into the wood. Speaking of bad looking, that fretboard on the sinker mahogany tenor looks like it was left out in the sun too long and the wood bleached out and became very dry.

Martin used dye (ink?) on the fretboard on my 1T IZ tenor. I suppose to even out the color of the Indian Rosewood. It has lightened up considerably in the past three years.
https://www.martinguitar.com/ukuleles/

Thanks for the link Kaimuki. Yep, still crappy. Totally detracts from the ukulele's appearance. I thought Martin said two years ago that they had heard the comments and complaints about the quality of their bridges and therefore improved the wood and QC to address the issues. Does NOT look like what should be on a $1500 tenor.

Martin 0 Tenor Bridge.png

What gets me is that the bridge on my Martin T1K, made in Mexico as a budget line, has a much better made, higher density rosewood bridge than my 3 times more expensive 1T IZ.

This wood had potential for concert or soprano but why a tenor! Martin really seems to struggle with a consistent uke program. I am surprised that they do not try harder to keep in line with their history, as they do with guitars.

According to that article the C1 is now veneer, while the similarly priced FSC tenor is all solid. Likewise on their site the FSC concert is over five times as expensive as the FSC tenor. Either they are punishing concert players or they have to get their marketing and pricing departments together for a talk.

Any more ukulele related news from NAMM?

According to that article the C1 is now veneer, while the similarly priced FSC tenor is all solid. Likewise on their site the FSC concert is over five times as expensive as the FSC tenor. Either they are punishing concert players or they have to get their marketing and pricing departments together for a talk.

Martin makes their cheaper instruments in Mexico and their more expensive instruments in Pennsylvania. They presumably spend a lot more time making the more expensive ukuleles because there is a big difference in responsiveness and sound quality (when I try them at my local store). Unfortunately, they do a very poor job of advertising the sound quality of their more expensive ukuleles.

Is it usual that there are no news from NAMM? Does anyone know if the K brands, Anunue, Kala, Ohana and other are there this year?

Is it usual that there are no news from NAMM? Does anyone know if the K brands, Anunue, Kala, Ohana and other are there this year?
Namm is usually in Jan, but was cancelled this year, as was the summer Namm show in Nashville. This is a combined ?hybrid event, that doesn't seem to have gotten much pub. Not surprising if some vendors may have chosen not to attend. I would think that announcements of new products would have been made before June.

I can tell by following some artists on social media that Ohana, Enya, and Kala are there.

nice video by Daniel (interesting channel if you like tinkering with ukes, BTW). seems like HUG could be one to keep an eye on...

None of the big K brands attended this year. Some of the notable guitar brands were also missing in action. It was a much watered down event this year and for that reason I chose not to attend even though I paid my admission fee.

Top Bottom