Kanilea Islander Soprano with a little Mainland comparison

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
Got this in the mail today...

She is a real beauty, just like in the picures. The tortoise accents and rosette along with the string pins make this one hot mamma. She's an all mahogany uke, came equipped with standard aquilas, pre-stretched and ready to rock.

The action is a little high which is a tiny annoying but its about as high as I can stand before I'd get angry lol. It does make it more difficult to play, but she sounds good.

I have to make a comparison because I got these two within a week of each other, and since I'm not new to the ukulele but have never owned an ukulele from either company...I thought it'd be interesting.
Granted, these are two totally different ukuleles...one is solid mahogany and the other has a cedar top with rosewood back and sides. These are also only opinions...so roll with it.

Looks: Mainland is a high gloss, rope binding etc etc...and I think it looks totally dope especially when I'm watching myself play in the bathroom mirror:) The Islander has a different, classy look which I think is also totally sweet in it's own right. This is too much apples/oranges...I think they are both beautiful.

Build: It would be of no surprise to say that I think the Islander is made better and comes with a feeling of some refinement. It would also be of no surprise to say that this is based on some technical blah blah's...just look inside the hole and see. The mainland is very nice, but the Islander is built with a different quality in mind.

Sound: Now that I feel weird saying that about Mainland, lets get to the heart of the matter. The mainland is louder, clearer, easier to play with far lower action and, as a whole...sounds better??. The Islander is all mahogany, super mellow, certainly more bassy and a little muddled as is my opinion of mahogany in general. It really rings out on its own but suffers alot when held close to the body....though the Islander has a more woody feel and tone which I am a total fan of. Sometimes I think the Mainland feels plastic, its so thin and light with that slight bark in tone. Woody tone and feel all day...come to daddy! (just add volume and clarity with good action lol).

In conclusion...I'm still totally loving the mainland, but the Islander is gonna have to try and grow on me. I would be more won over if the action was a little lower after the "set up", but its still a deep mahogany sound. If the islander was koa or something brighter, I think this would be a totally different story. I just need lower action, more volume and clarity...but who doesnt:)

**Remember this is not a "which is better" post...they are totally different and mostly a matter of preference. Both are very nice ukuleles in their own right

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by your post. You seem to be saying that the Islander, although it is made of cedar and rosewood sounds, "all mahogany." Is that correct? Also, when you are comparing the tone overall, it seems you prefer the Mainland because it has a "woody" tone, but you also say the Islander has a more woody tone? Would you say your preference for the sound of the Mainland has more to do with volume and sustain?

I'm a bit confused by your post. You seem to be saying that the Islander, although it is made of cedar and rosewood sounds, "all mahogany." Is that correct? Also, when you are comparing the tone overall, it seems you prefer the Mainland because it has a "woody" tone, but you also say the Islander has a more woody tone? Would you say your preference for the sound of the Mainland has more to do with volume and sustain?

I think he meant the Islander is all solid mahogany and the other is cedar.

Top Bottom