Kanile'a K-1 Tenor Premium

Drew Bear

Reaction score
Since this is my first ukulele, please take that into account as you read my opinions and impressions. I have no basis for comparisons; only observations. With that in mind, most of my numerical ratings will max out at 9. I'm going to assume (possibly incorrectly) that custom-made ukes in the $2,000+ range will be able to hit the perfect 10 through some process not readily available to the more time-constrained production shops/luthiers, high-end though they may be.

Kanile'a offers four price points for their K-1 Tenor line. From low to high:
• Satin Finish
• UV Finish
• UV Finish Deluxe Curly Koa Body
• UV Finish Premium Curly Koa Body

The first two use solid koa, but their grain is "ordinary". The Deluxe uses moderately curly koa, while the Premium uses all-out curly koa. From photos I've seen of all four models, the jump from Satin to UV finish is visually dramatic. The jump from ordinary to the Deluxe and again to the Premium koa is noticeable, but not as dramatic...at least in the photos. The photos of my uke were unable to capture the 3D effect that I assume is a combination of the curl and the high gloss polyester finish. It is truly spectacular.

Features (9)

Here are the specs for the K-1 T:
* Select Koa Body
* Koa or Rosewood Fret Board and Bridge
* Paua Abalone position dots
* South American mahogany neck
* Rounded back
* Bridge Pins
* Chrome Geared Grover Tuner Keys
* UV Curved high gloss Polyester finish (like on Taylor guitars)
* Aquila Corde Strings
* Hard Shell Plush Case
* 19 frets, 14 to the body
* NuBone (Graph Tech) nut & saddle

I bought a used Kanile'a. The original owner had upgraded to Waverly Ukulele tuners with koa knobs. He had replaced the Aquila with Worth clear strings. The uke came in a Uke Crazy foam/hard case. I emailed Kanile'a and they said my ukulele had been "born" August 14, 2011 and had rosewood fret board & bridge. The logo inlay is a darker rosewood.

She's still a baby, but perfectly formed and absolutely beautiful. Although the Grover tuners look great (in a box), the Waverlys look more highly finished and the koa knobs are nicer than chrome metal. I've read both pros and cons about the bridge pins, but can't comment on actual usage until my first string change.

Sound (9)

My limited experience with stringed instruments was on acoustic/classical guitar, mostly finger picking with nearly non-existent strumming technique. I find picking awkward with only 4 strings, so I've immediately started plucking chords and strumming.

I find the sound warm and clear; overall simply beautiful. I had read descriptions (and heard a few recordings) of "muted" or "muddy", but I hear nothing remotely like that. The high notes come through crisply along with all the mid tones. Dynamic range is great. Sustain is very long.

Here's a very short sound sample video I took with an iPhone:

Here's a May 2011 HMS sampling played by someone much more proficient and recorded with better equipment:

Here's a Youtuber (Oct. 2011) with another sample (too much reverb?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOSL1xVlCt0

Action, Fit & Finish (9)

Action seems good to me. It may be a little high at the 12th fret, but it's fine for the test notes I played up there. Even though I haven't played guitar in many years, I had no problems fretting basic chords without buzzing or intonation problems.

Fit and finish are top notch, as I would expect for a ukulele in this price range. I can't evaluate what I see through the sound hole; certainly no blobs of glue or anything like that. Externally I see maybe one flaw. I can feel a tiny irregularity along one of the edges of the lower bout, but I can't actually see the flaw. It's as if a bit of the high gloss polyester finish wasn't completely buffed down. I once saw a tiny ripple in the finish on the back, but have not been able to find it again.

There are a number of things that are not conveyed even by the photos Kanile'a provides on their website. Starting from the top, the logo on the headstock is a wood inlay. Here's what Joe Souza emailed to me when I asked him about it: "The logo inlay is either Rosewood (dark) or Maple (light) depending on the shade of Koa that we built your instrument from." On the photos it looks almost like black or gold paint, but in person you can clearly see the grain of the wood.

The Paua abalone position marker inlay often show as pale, washed out whitish dots in photos. In reality each are unique with opalescent colors ranging from pearl to shades of turquoise. They also have smaller position markers on the edge of the fret board. I notice the 3rd fret marker most frequently. That marker happens to have a yin-yang pattern with one half a brilliant turquoise color that flashes when light hits it at certain angles.

Reliability/Durability (conditional 10)

I'm not sure I can make this judgement adequately. Everything seems securely attached and is one cohesive unit. Nothing rattles or feels loose. The koa body is not thick, but neither is it flimsy. The finish looks very durable.

My general impression is that there is currently a healthy competition between the four 'K' brands. I think this means that they are all doing their utmost to produce the highest quality ukulele. I am not going to treat this instrument roughly, but neither am I going to baby her while playing. I won't hesitate to let my young niece & nephews play her. I can easily see her aging gracefully decades from now.

Customer Support (conditional 10)

I emailed to ask for basic information about my ukulele and they were able to use the serial number to provide details. Joe responded with all the answers within a few hours. The tone of the email was welcoming and very friendly.

The limited lifetime warranty applies only to the original purchaser. If I thought that a repair or adjustment would need factory attention, I wouldn't hesitate to ship my ukulele directly to Kanile'a.

Overall Rating (9)

This is my one and only experience with a ukulele, so I can't give it a perfect 10. I love just about everything about this uke. She's beautiful to look at; I enjoy examining the various grain, curl & colors of the wood. The bits of abalone also have some gorgeous hues. Although I am only starting to learn how to play, I think the sounds I've been able to produce are beautiful.

I know I'm supposed to have something critical to say, but I really don't have anything right now. This is only my fourth day with the uke, so maybe you should consider this a honeymoon phase and wait for my updates in the coming weeks.

All my pre-purchase evaluations were made via online reviews, sound clips and videos. I considered many of the solid koa ukulele builders: Big Island, Mele, Kelii along with the solid mahogany Pono, Mainland and Islander models. When I made the mental jump into 'K' brand territory, I quickly whittled the field down to KoAloha and Kanile'a.

My primary criterion was sound quality (tone, timbre, texture & "intangibles"), but that varies so much depending on the person playing, the recording device, string selection, tuning, etc. In the end I relied on just a few sound/video clips comparing the two Tenors and then gave some weight to the many forum comments.

It seemed the general consensus was that KoAloha had a brighter sound and Kanile'a a warmer sound. I decided they were both capable of producing fantastic sound if set up properly and matched with the right strings. I was prepared to buy either.

The next question was availability and price. By this time I had gone way past my initial budget. It was still difficult to find either in stock. At these price points I decided I wanted to see photos of the actual uke. Appearance was secondary to sound, but there seems to be significant variation in wood color and grain quality. Few were available without a "special order" to be shipped directly from the builder and pre-shipment photos sounded iffy.

The one I eventually bought came across my radar during Thanksgiving weekend. It was barely 3 months old and looked new. I understood I would not have the factory warranty, but the price discount made up for that lack. It's too soon to say whether I would buy it again if it was lost or stolen (God forbid). Maybe I'll get a chance to hear and/or play one of the custom made ukes and would decide to save up for one of those. I don't know.

Although I understand why people enjoy playing a variety of ukulele, I personally want to form a type of bond with a single instrument. Maybe once I'm proficient enough I can venture and try different sizes with all types of tunings and string combinations. For now I am content to discover all the music this particular beauty and I can create.

Last edited:
My Kanile'a concert K-1 has the UV finish. It was the first higher-end uke I ever purchased and is a favorite to play. The tones and richness of sound you can get with a Kanile'a make it a superb choice. Thanks for your review, very thorough and straightforward. Joe and company do splendid work.

Great, great review. I own the stock k1 and thought that was fabulous enough, but nice to hear about the high end one.

My review of the standard here http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/08/kanilea-k-1-tenor-ukulele-review.html

For what it's worth, whilst my pick up and play uke is my koaloha, I look at my Kanile'a and just "know" it's the ace card in my hand. Fabulous ukes

Super review! I covet a Kamaka

Great, great review. I own the stock k1 and thought that was fabulous enough, but nice to hear about the high end one.

My review of the standard here http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/08/kanilea-k-1-tenor-ukulele-review.html

For what it's worth, whilst my pick up and play uke is my koaloha, I look at my Kanile'a and just "know" it's the ace card in my hand. Fabulous ukes
Thanks, bazmaz. Your review was one of the reasons Kanile'a made the final round. These other reviews also played a part:
Ken Middleton's '08 Youtube Kanile'a K1 Tenor review
GX9901's '09 Kanile'a Super Tenor review
wearymicrobe's '09 Kanile'a Super Tenor (Koa Custom K5) review

I'm sure I would've been equally happy (almost) had a KoAloha come across my path first.

Super review! I covet a Kamaka
Thanks, Phil. Kamakas are also wonderful instruments. It was simply a matter of sound preference. A custom Kamaka in the hands of Jake or Aldrine are amazing, but many of the sound samples I heard from mere mortals were just a bit too mellow for my taste.

Last edited:
Thanks, bazmaz. Your review was one of the reasons Kanile'a made the final round. These other review's also played a part:

Drew Bear - that's great to hear! Thanks.

That was an excellent review! Yes Kanile'a ukes are something special. I have a K-1 6 string tenor deluxe and I love it. The sounds it produces are simply beautiful. BTW....love the Koa grain on your uke, congratulations!!!

I have the same Kanilea model and thinking of upgrading to waverly tuners. Is it worth the upgrade?

I have the same Kanilea model and thinking of upgrading to waverly tuners. Is it worth the upgrade?
I've only had experience with the Waverlys, which are very easy to tune and hold tune for days (average 1.5 hrs./day of playing time). The original owner said that the Waverlys were a significant improvement over the stock Grovers, but didn't really say in what way. Unless the Grovers were terrible, I probably wouldn't have spent $90+ for the Waverlys.

That was an excellent review! Yes Kanile'a ukes are something special. I have a K-1 6 string tenor deluxe and I love it. The sounds it produces are simply beautiful. BTW....love the Koa grain on your uke, congratulations!!!
Thanks, molokinirum. Just finishing my 2nd week with this beauty and I still spend a minute or two just looking at her from different angles during breaks from playing.

Nice review... thanks for posting. I recently purchased a kanile'a K-1 premium super concert and can concur with your review comments. The Kanile'a premium's are eye candy for sure.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?55258-New-Uke-Day...-Kanile-a-Super-Concert
Thanks, Hobo. I did see your post before my purchase. You had declined to post review comments because you were still new to ukes and didn't feel qualified. PoiDog urged you to do so anyways, so I took his comments to heart and typed away despite my lack of qualifications. :) I really like the golden hue of your K-1. If yours is a blonde, mine would be auburn - both beautiful!

I'm finding it difficult to capture the beauty of this ukulele in photos. (Same goes for sound, but that's another story.) Here's the best I've come up with so far. The first photo shows direct morning light on the body. The others are all filtered (by tree shade) sunlight. Slight changes in viewing angle affects the appearance. It looks like the left side is a darker wood, but that's not actually the case. Next time I'll try to get some left side angles.
K1.jpgK2.jpgK3.jpgK4.jpg

Here's a picture of the one i just bought... first high end uke as well... using the seller's photos until i can capture the beauty through my own lense.
Kanile'a K1-TPfront.jpg

I have a KT1, bought on ebay, it has a high gloss finish, is this the UV model? Can anyone tell me how to read the serial number? as I would like to know it's age.

I have a KT1, bought on ebay, it has a high gloss finish, is this the UV model? Can anyone tell me how to read the serial number? as I would like to know it's age.

The first for numbers are the date. My Kanilea first for are 0510-***** meaning it was built in May 2010. the other numbers are reference numbers for that uke that they have on file. If you have a Kanilea before 2008 then the serial number is handwritten. The High Glass is the UV finish. If there are hole in the bracing then it is TRU Bracing. their earlier models did not have this bracing. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Strings for the kanilea K-1 tenor

I have the Kanile'a K-1 super tenor with satin finish and it has Aquilla strings strung with low g. I love everything about it.

I also have a Kanile'a K- tenor Deluxe with UV finish strung re-entrant. I got it with worth browns, switched out to worth Clear mediums, switched out to D'Addario Titaniums, and now have D'Addario J71. None of these sound as good as my super tenor (satin) with the Aquilla's. I know it is personal preference, but I am wondering what others think/use. Is it just that the super tenor satin has a fuller, louder, boomier-yet-contained sound than the K-1 Tenor which is full, mellow, soft? or is it the strings? The K-1 tenor is soft and has a true Hawaiian ukulele sound, more like my 1979 Kamaka, but the super tenor is easier to play and richer. Any thoughts or comments.

Thanks for the info, so mine is Sept 2010. So looks like I got a good deal, £500 with UkCrazy case.

Top Bottom