Kent Bsritone uke neck construction

morfrost

I bought a Kent Baritone ukulele a couple of years ago at a flea market. It has an all mahogany body. There is a horizontal break in the neck heel about 1-1/2" up from the bottom of the heel and this extends to the neck/body junction. It has opened up slightly and was glued by some previous owner with a white glue of some kind. I've cleaned this up and would now like to take the neck off to do a proper repair to the heel.
Would anyone know anything about how the neck was put together at the body? Mortice and tenon ? Dovetail ? Also some insight into the glue probably used would be helpful.
This instrument was made in Japan, I think in the 60' or 70's. It's not a valuable piece of goods, but I think it deserves a better fate than hanging on a wall.
Sny information would be of help to me. Thanx.

anthonyg

Does it look something like this?

enya-x1-23-26-inch-hawaii-concert-tenor-koa-ukulele-with-classical-head.jpg

It's just reenforcement and often done as a way to make more efficient use of timber resources.

Any crack in it at this stage is just a finish/aesthetics issue. I wouldn't be taking the neck off to fix it on a cheap instrument.

Last edited:

morfrost

Anthony g -Mine is a one piece neck and the break follows the grain. You're probably right that it would not be worth the effort to take it apart, but then I wouldn't be getting experience or learn anything, would I.

anthonyg

If its just a learning experience and you don't mind if the instrument is destroyed, then there are options. I can't really help you though other than to suggest taking the back off first and having a look.
This is a deep rabbit hole to fall into.
Do some Google searches.

Also, at this point ask your question on the builders forum. This is more a building question rather than Tech Support.