Kiwaya KPC-1M Concert REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I agree. Kiwaya never fails to impress in sound and build quality. Coincidentally, I just saw this link today and was really taken by the beauty of it

Baz, I've just read a few of your different Kiwaya reviews and I wonder what you think about the idea of "Kiwaya" being the right answer whenever somebody around here asks for the best beginner uke. They seem to all have been of excellent sound/build quality and very reasonable price, and those seem to be the main points whenever that conversation comes up around here. One idea often expressed is that you need to buy something that is up to certain build/sound standard or else you'll be sabotaging your progress, and that's often met with not wanting to overspend on your new hobby in case you don't like it. It seems like the Kiwayas could generally please both groups within reason.

Not that there was ever any doubt about the quality of a Kiwaya uke but I was still blown away by the sound. Crisp and clean but still so deep and resonant, perfectly balanced. I have to wonder how good the koa version of this sounds (not saying that koa is universally better, I just prefer it over mahogany for larger ukes). I'm having quite a bit of trouble justifying to not get this one. :D

Baz, I've just read a few of your different Kiwaya reviews and I wonder what you think about the idea of "Kiwaya" being the right answer whenever somebody around here asks for the best beginner uke. They seem to all have been of excellent sound/build quality and very reasonable price, and those seem to be the main points whenever that conversation comes up around here. One idea often expressed is that you need to buy something that is up to certain build/sound standard or else you'll be sabotaging your progress, and that's often met with not wanting to overspend on your new hobby in case you don't like it. It seems like the Kiwayas could generally please both groups within reason.
I'd agree - their student series is incredible value for money and are really sound instruments

I suspect that I have played that very instrument. A few months ago I was in World of Ukes with my partner to buy her a concert UKE for a special birthday. Matt showed us a range of five to try and that Kiwaya (or maybe it’s sibling if he has another one) was one of those five. In the end my partner chose an Uluru Sedera II. If I’d been buying for myself I’d have picked the Kiwaya. They were all great though. There was a Millar and an ANueNue in the selection as well.

Top Bottom